Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2015, 12:03 PM   #1
trmiv
Registered Member

Peristalic pump for ATO recommendation

I'm looking to step up from the Aqualifter I'm using on my ATO currently. I was going to purchase the Avast peristalic but they are out of stock, not sure when it will be back. I keep reading about the BRS 50ml having issues with the gears stripping out. Any other peristalic pumps that don't break the bank I can look at (I'd like to keep it under $100). Anyone tried the Milwaukee MP810 on premium aquatics?

Unread 12/31/2015, 12:08 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I would suggest spending a few dollars more and get the Litermeter accessory pump. It's by far the best peristaltic pump you can get for anywhere near that price and is by far better than the Avast one let alone the AquaLifter. If I didn't use a Stenner for my ATO, this would be my 2nd choice.
http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OF...r®-Dosing-Pump

You can also find a used Litermeter slave pump in the classified section and cut the end off and splice a 12v 1 amp AC adapter inline but this is the path of least resistance and it's a pump that will last many many years with an impeccable track record. It's also self priming and can pump or draw water from/to very serious heights so you don't need to worry about head pressure.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 12:25 PM   #3
trmiv
Registered Member

Not a bad idea I wasn't aware you could get just their pump. Is it only available direct from them?

Unread 12/31/2015, 12:38 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
Not a bad idea I wasn't aware you could get just their pump. Is it only available direct from them?
As far as I am aware you can only get these direct. I have yet to see them from any of the resellers. They are easy to deal with though as I've order from Spectrapure before and this pump is worth its weight in gold. You won't find a more reliable pump for anywhere near the price.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 02:46 PM   #5
cardiffgiant
Registered Member

If you're willing to spend $250-350, I'd consider the litermeter or a neptune DOS.

If you want to keep within a lower budget, I've had very good experiences with the avast marineworks ATO's. I have two running for 2 years now.

I also had the BRS ATO and had both the original and the warranty replacement wear out.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 02:52 PM   #6
trmiv
Registered Member

I've actually got the avast pressure ATO just looking for a new pump besides the aqualifter. I may get the litermeter basic

Unread 12/31/2015, 08:51 PM   #7
trmiv
Registered Member

Any idea what the rate on the basic litermeter pump is? 50ml/min? One reason I'm looking to switch from the aqualifter is with the avast ATO the pressure switch isn't as sensitive as the float I used before. So it can go down a good half and inch, and then the top off kicks in and the aqualifter being 3.5g per hour will pretty much flow half a day's worth of top off into the tank, which will spike my PH. I was hoping with a peristalic to slow that down quite a bit. 50ml/min would be around .8g/hr which would run for quite a bit and be a nice slow dose.

Unread 12/31/2015, 09:31 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

http://www.saltysupply.com/kamoer-kc...-b08dec0t.html something like this

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 09:54 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

You know the aqua lifter isn't a peristaltic pump, right? It's a diaphragm pump. Avast make one of these also, with much better performance. I've been using a pair for about a year and been very happy with them.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 09:58 PM   #10
trmiv
Registered Member

Yes I know what the aqualifter is. Another reason I want to replace it is I'd rather have a dependable peristaltic than the aqualifter which the kalkwasser is actually running through and tends to clog. I actually own a reefdosingpumps peristaltic that I've had for years but the issue with it is it loses the dosing rate when it loses power. So it's basically useless for on-demand top off with a the avast ATO.

Unread 12/31/2015, 10:22 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

OK, I see. Got sick of Kalk clogging up my pumps so now my ATO pump pushes RODI into my Kalk reactor which just overflows into the sump.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 12/31/2015, 10:23 PM   #12
trmiv
Registered Member

That is another option I'm looking at. Getting the Avast kalk stirrer and doing just plain water in the top off container with the aqualifter.

Unread 12/31/2015, 10:24 PM   #13
MrSandman
Team RC Member

There are also the Cole Parmer Masterflex pumps that are probably comparable to the Stenners. I got mine from a local Reefer for under $100. Look in the sale forum or even Ebay for some good deals. Mine has been running for over 10 years now as my ATO pump without any problems at all.

Current Tank Info: 112G 36"x36"x20" Lee-mar rimless. Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293182.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 10:41 PM   #14
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

Medical grade peristaltic pumps are hands down the most reliable.

image.jpg

Mine has been running for seven years, with minor maintenance. Been running with Ro/DI and kalkwasser the whole time as ATO.

Last edited by Flippers4pups; 12/31/2015 at 10:47 PM.
Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 10:49 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
That is another option I'm looking at. Getting the Avast kalk stirrer and doing just plain water in the top off container with the aqualifter.
Best way to do it IME. I have the avast ATO pressure switch connected to my Apex that triggers the avast diaphragm pump to push water through the avast Kalk stirrer. Far better than any of the cobbled DiY efforts I used previously. Don't want to seem like a shill for avast, but I do like their stuff.

Unread 12/31/2015, 10:56 PM   #16
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
The problem with some of the hobby grade peristaltic pumps is that some are made with plastic rollers and are prone to fractures. Medical grade made with stainless steel rollers. Solid!

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 02:48 AM   #17
trmiv
Registered Member

So as far as I can tell the litermeter basic is 250ml/min which is almost 4 gallons per hour. That's more than the aqualifter, so it doesn't help in trying to slow down what I'm dripping. I think for now I'm just going to put a valve on the end of the aqualifter and make sure to clean it regularly.

Unread 01/01/2016, 03:24 AM   #18
trmiv
Registered Member

So I ended up totally changing it up and getting the Spectrapure Ultra Precise auto top off. It is adjustable so I can set the dosing amount I want. http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OF...vel-Controller

I think this will work perfectly. Thanks for the input everyone.

Unread 04/29/2016, 10:18 PM   #19
CaptainDave
Registered Member

Quote:
So I ended up totally changing it up and getting the Spectrapure Ultra Precise auto top off. It is adjustable so I can set the dosing amount I want. http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OF...vel-Controller

I think this will work perfectly. Thanks for the input everyone.
Any updates in how this is working out for you? I'm not super satisfied with my Osmolator (hate the pump and can't find a decent, well-priced, peristaltic pump to replace it) and am looking to switch gears. I'm torn between the Avast ATO system with their peristaltic pump (I have an Apex so integration there is nice) or the Spectrapure. Would be very interested in your experience with the Spectrapure.

CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2016, 07:25 AM   #20
kevin_e
Registered Member

I just bought the smart ATO nano. The thing is flawless and reasonably priced.

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2016, 08:54 PM   #21
rumpypumpy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
Any updates in how this is working out for you? I'm not super satisfied with my Osmolator (hate the pump and can't find a decent, well-priced, peristaltic pump to replace it) and am looking to switch gears. I'm torn between the Avast ATO system with their peristaltic pump (I have an Apex so integration there is nice) or the Spectrapure. Would be very interested in your experience with the Spectrapure.
I have AVAST with Apex integration. It works very well, granted it pumps slow but it does take care of my evaporation issue.

rumpypumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 10:16 PM   #22
CaptainDave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpypumpy View Post
I have AVAST with Apex integration. It works very well, granted it pumps slow but it does take care of my evaporation issue.
I ended up going with the Avast ATO and their peristaltic pump, and it's been working quite well for a few months. I'm surprised at how foolproof it has been.

CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 07:40 AM   #23
tlc
Registered Member

trmiv you wont be disappointed with your decision. the liter meter pumps are nearly silent. I replaced a avast marine diaphragm pump with one and couldn't be happier

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 09:48 AM   #24
this is me
Registered Member

I've been using the SpectraPure remote pump for my ATO for over 2 years. It's been running great!

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqualifter, ato, dosing, pump