Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2017, 08:20 AM   #1
jshepherd
Premium Member

Replacement needle wheel for rd3 mini speedy 1500

I have only been able to locate a complete rotor and wheel assembly for approx $200 usd. Do they not sell just the impeller? It only has a few needles broken off but i would like to make it perfect again.

thanks

jshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 08:26 AM   #2
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Hello,
Due to tolerances and fitment, the needle wheel head is not sold separately. It's a complete rotor assembly.

Data sheet and spare parts.pdf: http://royalexclusiv.com/images/cont...p_1500_eng.pdf

rotor complete 1500 l air
Model # US 110v: 601/SP24-1
Model # non-US 220v: 601/SP24-2

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 08:32 AM   #3
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Hello,
Due to tolerances and fitment, the needle wheel head is not sold separately. It's a complete rotor assembly.

Data sheet and spare parts.pdf: http://royalexclusiv.com/images/cont...p_1500_eng.pdf

rotor complete 1500 l air
Model # US 110v: 601/SP24-1
Model # non-US 220v: 601/SP24-2
thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate, i will not be paying that much for a wheel. I'll figure something out or just leave it as it does not appear to be affecting anything.

thanks

Unread 10/17/2017, 10:00 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate, i will not be paying that much for a wheel. I'll figure something out or just leave it as it does not appear to be affecting anything.

thanks
Leave it as it is. It will be fine. When the needle wheels are installed on the shaft, a jig is used to get it in exactly the correct position on the shaft. If its slightly too high on the shaft, it will hit the pump face when the motor powers up and potentially burn out the motor due to the friction and increased loads caused by the needle wheel hitting the face. This assuming it spins at all. If its too low, it will won't perform properly.

People sometimes get careless and drop or break their impellers. If they sold the needle wheels separately, chances are the warranty rates would be effected because people would install the wheels in the wrong position causing the scenarios above. Thus, Germany has decided against doing that. The good thing is that a couple missing pins will have no appreciable impact on the pumps performance.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 10:05 AM   #5
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Leave it as it is. It will be fine. When the needle wheels are installed on the shaft, a jig is used to get it in exactly the correct position on the shaft. If its slightly too high on the shaft, it will hit the pump face when the motor powers up and potentially burn out the motor due to the friction and increased loads caused by the needle wheel hitting the face. This assuming it spins at all. If its too low, it will won't perform properly.

People sometimes get careless and drop or break their impellers. If they sold the needle wheels separately, chances are the warranty rates would be effected because people would install the wheels in the wrong position causing the scenarios above. Thus, Germany has decided against doing that. The good thing is that a couple missing pins will have no appreciable impact on the pumps performance.
Understood. It was for sure my fault. i tried to use compressed air to blow the pins out and a couple flew off. I thought about taking a few off on the other side to " balance " it but then thought that they run fine half full of crap so I left it

I really should spend some time to fine tune it.