Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 08:26 AM   #1
HarveyO
Registered Member

Crushed Coral to Sand

Hello

I recently left the freshwater side and decided to start a 29Gallon Reef Tank. I talked to my LFS and they talked me into going with crushed coral as a substrate and now I am already regretting it. I don't think it will meet my future intent. I haven't added any livestock yet. I have been letting my tank cycle. Now I'm pretty sure I want to switch to sand unless anyone has objections. Almost everything I have read is against CC and all for SB.

After rambling on, my question is, how do I switch over to sand without completely restarting from the beginning and without completely disturbing the tank cycle?

HarveyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:52 AM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I hated my crushed coral substrate because it was a detritus trap. I had to disassemble the tank, but I got only very mild cycling symptoms. The best you can do is keep the live rock in water as much as possible, and work quickly. There might be some more die-off and some delay in getting to the ammonia-free state, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

Tags
coral, crushed, live, sand, substrate