Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2018, 10:05 PM   #1
jay415
Registered Member

No clue what this is, Anyone?

I just noticed this on the rock that my torch coral came in on. Anyone have a clue? It’s about a 1/4”
Whatever it is, it did move when the lights were off and I shined a flashlight on it. It moved about a 1/2” inch back into the hole it was sitting in originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 10:28 PM   #2
jay415
Registered Member

I was able to catch it moving again.
https://youtu.be/FvNJZ3b3lT8

Unread 02/14/2018, 11:36 PM   #3
frey
Registered Member

Urchin?

frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:47 AM   #4
jay415
Registered Member

Any idea what kind? Or if it’s good/bad? I’ve been searching pics and can’t find one that looks like this one.

Unread 02/15/2018, 09:51 AM   #5
mhaze
Registered Member

I do not know much but I will try to help...

My guess is some sort of a young pencil urchin, based on the pattern and shape of the spines? It's so tiny at this point that it's hard to tell for sure. Any idea of the ocean of origin?

I tend to go with innocent until proven guilty (especially with tiny things) because I love biodiversity, but I would watch it for sure with stony corals, especially things like montis. I had one a bit like it 15 years ago that got big and started boring into my rock so I took it to the LFS for trade in. It did not bother the corals much, but did make a bit of a mess when it got big. It would disappear for months at a time and come out of rockwork much larger.

I have a different species now that has grown crazy fast but is completely benign and does not leave a 6" diameter area. It eats coralline but it regrows so quickly that it does not even seem to affect the coralline population. It has stayed far away from corals, but I'm watching it closely. It is an Atlantic species with narrow spines.

Some people will buy urchins to graze algae and house cardinal fish, but some people distrust them and are very skeptical. Pencil urchins tend to be higher risk because of their eating habits. But I am only re-entering the reef hobby after 15 years of fw only, so I will defer to others, as my info may be a bit dated.

Some urchins may chew on acrylic - their little mouths (called Aristotle's lantern) are very strong. Also they can be venomous if you handle them - best to let it get on a rock and just remove the rock if you want to relocate it.

mhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 01:07 PM   #6
jay415
Registered Member

Thanks I appreciate all the info, I will keep an eye on it!

Unread 02/16/2018, 08:27 AM   #7
jocca
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaze View Post
I do not know much but I will try to help...

My guess is some sort of a young pencil urchin, based on the pattern and shape of the spines? It's so tiny at this point that it's hard to tell for sure. Any idea of the ocean of origin?

I tend to go with innocent until proven guilty (especially with tiny things) because I love biodiversity, but I would watch it for sure with stony corals, especially things like montis. I had one a bit like it 15 years ago that got big and started boring into my rock so I took it to the LFS for trade in. It did not bother the corals much, but did make a bit of a mess when it got big. It would disappear for months at a time and come out of rockwork much larger.

I have a different species now that has grown crazy fast but is completely benign and does not leave a 6" diameter area. It eats coralline but it regrows so quickly that it does not even seem to affect the coralline population. It has stayed far away from corals, but I'm watching it closely. It is an Atlantic species with narrow spines.

Some people will buy urchins to graze algae and house cardinal fish, but some people distrust them and are very skeptical. Pencil urchins tend to be higher risk because of their eating habits. But I am only re-entering the reef hobby after 15 years of fw only, so I will defer to others, as my info may be a bit dated.

Some urchins may chew on acrylic - their little mouths (called Aristotle's lantern) are very strong. Also they can be venomous if you handle them - best to let it get on a rock and just remove the rock if you want to relocate it.

I agree with Mhaze

jocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:43 PM   #8
TosT
Registered Member

Third on the pencil sea urchin idea. From the video, looks like you can see its tube feet flailing around in the current.

TosT is offline   Reply With Quote