Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2014, 07:28 PM   #1
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Adnup Roti-Reef

Does anyone use Roti-Reef from Adnup to feed their Rotifers? I'm not having much luck with it. But then again I am new to maintaining Rotifers.

JasonMHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 05:11 PM   #2
president89
Registered Member

I was wondering the same. It's not very green.

president89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 09:49 PM   #3
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Since my original post have use it and then switched to another product. I was very impressed with the Roti-Reef. I more so after I spoke to the company. I asked if I could use it to tint the water of the fry tank green and the said, "no". So with that I started using RG+ from Reed-Mariculture.

http://www.reed-mariculture.com/prod...igrow_plus.php

Unread 09/14/2014, 03:56 AM   #4
ajdiver
Registered Member

I use RG Complete as well. I ordered the rotifer bucket as well so it makes things a little easier to maintain. .

Unread 09/14/2014, 08:21 PM   #5
sharkboy99999
Registered Member

What's so special about the bucket I've been wandering

sharkboy99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 09:37 PM   #6
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Just the way it filters the water better than if you just put the floss in the bucket

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 03:41 AM   #7
ajdiver
Registered Member

You can pull out the filter and rinse it out so it maintains cleaner water. It actually is worth the money.

Unread 09/20/2014, 08:30 PM   #8
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

I've hurt that the filter clogs a lot on them. I just ordered RG Plus last week.

Unread 09/20/2014, 08:36 PM   #9
ajdiver
Registered Member

That's you you put an inline hose value so you can adjust the air flow.

Unread 09/23/2014, 02:40 PM   #10
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMHorn View Post
I've hurt that the filter clogs a lot on them. I just ordered RG Plus last week.
Really? I've never once heard that, and I invented the thing. Can you point me to a thread(s) so I can help the people better use the CCS?

With the suggested daily cleaning and harvesting, there is no clogging. If you are clogging it, you are feeding way too much.

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 11:49 AM   #11
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
Really? I've never once heard that, and I invented the thing. Can you point me to a thread(s) so I can help the people better use the CCS?

With the suggested daily cleaning and harvesting, there is no clogging. If you are clogging it, you are feeding way too much.

I would love to tell you what thread it was so that you could help out but I honestly don't recall where is was. It may have been somewhere as well. Since I started breeding Clowns I've talked to so many people about all of the different things that are used for breeding.

I have a few questions for you since you invented it. Do you have pictures of your earlier designs? Or even sketches? How long did it take you to want to come up with the design? And how long did it take you to design it? I'm curious how the process went.

Unread 09/24/2014, 11:59 AM   #12
GreshamH
Registered Member

Hmmm I will have to try to find the earlier proto-type pictures. Unfortunately I shipped every working prototype. I have the basic "napkin" design I made, but it got damaged in a move so I am recreating it.

The original design didn't have clips that clipped onto the bucket... the entire "T" sat on top the bucket with slots cut into the PVC arms to allow it to sit.

I worked on the design for about a year, from concept to end design. But I had been thinking about it for 9 years. I took the commercial systems we designed and run in house, but made it so it could work in a 5g bucket. Finding all the parts to make it took a bit of time... that took more then the actual over all design. I tried dozens of different parts, all with shipping lag time I wish I could get this stuff all from Home Depot, then it woulda just been a couple dozen trips to HD

Unread 09/25/2014, 09:05 PM   #13
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

I appreciate the info.

Unread 09/26/2014, 03:57 AM   #14
ajdiver
Registered Member

Now that I'm cleaning the filter daily and doing a 15 to 20% water change also my rotifer culture is doing well. It would help the future buyers if in the instructions it said to do the water changes. In the instructions it says to clean the filter daily but doesn't mention anything about water changes. This is a crucial step so that the rotifers don't over populate and crash the culture. Maybe you can have that added into the directions so that the next person doesn't have to figure it out themselves.

Unread 09/26/2014, 04:29 PM   #15
GreshamH
Registered Member

Its there... Perhaps you missed it? In fact it states to do a larger harvest then you are currently doing. At that percent, you will have adults (non egg producing, just eat your algae) take over at some point.

http://apbreed.com/product_compact_c...p#tab_moreinfo

Harvesting the Rotifer Culture

It is best to harvest rotifers every day

Approximately 30% is a good daily harvest rate

If one day you need more rotifers, it is OK to harvest more heavily. To increase the number of rotifers harvested every day, increase the feed rate but keep a consistent harvest rate. For fewer rotifers just reduce the feed rate.

To harvest rotifers, remove the appropriate volume of culture. The rotifers can be concentrated on a screen and collected, or you can simply pour the rotifer culture water into your tank.

Replenish the rotifer culture with new saltwater.

The directions on the website were taken from the Instructional tri-fold brochure that is in every kit. That has not been changed since we started selling them.

Unread 03/02/2016, 04:12 PM   #16
adnup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by president89 View Post
I was wondering the same. It's not very green.
I just ran across this post.

You will not get the green water as when using straight phytoplankton. The yeast will, in fact, make it look cloudy.
Roti-Reef is a potent formulation consisting of microalgae, special food grade yeast, wide spectrum of vitamins, minerals, and special nutrients.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire, I-Tech 200 Skimmer, Snapper, Tunze
adnup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 06:01 AM   #17
erndog1001
Registered Member

I was looking for a good Rotifer feed a while back as well. I looked at RG complete But when I saw the price tag (OMG $70 for 1 liter!!!) I kept searching.
Thats when I came across a product called ROTI-RICH from Florida Aquafarms.
This stuff is quite simply awesome!
You can buy it in either liquid or dry powder. The liquid form is roughly 1/3 the cost of RG The powder form is even cheaper and when prepared porperly. It will keep in your frig for months.And this stuff is super concentrated. You literally only need to feed a few ml/day