Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Show us your Mutiny Ozone Reactors

Post some pics/vids... curious to see how folks are plumbing and using these!

"Just get me to the airport put me on a plane" - The Ramones
Want2BS8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Nothing?

Spoke with Justin yesterday and have some plumbing to redo on the Carbon reactor.

Still curious to see how other folks are using these...

Unread 08/31/2011, 07:26 AM   #3
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

I'm actually installing a new one on my system over the next few days (as I get time to finish it), I'll take some pics as soon as I finish.

I'll check in with a few others and see if they have pics to post too.

Justin

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Here is a quick video taken with my phone while testing in the shop. No carbon in the reactor on the right yet.

I'll repost something a little nicer once I have a chance to install the new sump upstairs. Ignore the radio in the background... Ken Burns I'm not!

HTML Code:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9rHXWBpqdTE?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
...and just in case the video did not embed, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHXW...e_gdata_player

Mike

Last edited by Want2BS8ed; 09/01/2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Embedding video
Unread 09/07/2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Just4Derek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2BS8ed View Post
Here is a quick video taken with my phone while testing in the shop. No carbon in the reactor on the right yet.

I'll repost something a little nicer once I have a chance to install the new sump upstairs. Ignore the radio in the background... Ken Burns I'm not!

HTML Code:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9rHXWBpqdTE?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike
Great video!

BTW: are you sure you connect to the correct input of the carbon reactor? I think the input should be the one in the center.

Just4Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Derek View Post
Great video!

BTW: are you sure you connect to the correct input of the carbon reactor? I think the input should be the one in the center.
That's certainly what the instructions say, but after talking with Justin at Avast, apparently the preferred method is to reverse it now.

I've always injected ozone directly into a protein skimmer. Mistakenly was trying to equate the ozone reactor to a FW CO2 reactor where all of the injected gas is dissolved in effluent. Here both the ozone and carbon reactors are supposed to 'burp' for lack of a more technical term.

Few more pieces arriving over the next two weeks, but hope to have the new sump up and running soon. Will post more videos then.

Interesting you caught the routing. Thought for sure someone would call me out on the JACO fittings not being ozone compatible, put they are Kynar. Little concerned about the LLDPE tubing (it only has a 'fair' rating for ozone resistance), but I'll see how it performs and am ready with some Kynar barbed fittings and silicon tubing if necessary.

Appreciate the sharp eyes and heads-up!

Mike

Unread 09/15/2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Just4Derek
Registered Member

Quote:
That's certainly what the instructions say, but after talking with Justin at Avast, apparently the preferred method is to reverse it now.

I've always injected ozone directly into a protein skimmer. Mistakenly was trying to equate the ozone reactor to a FW CO2 reactor where all of the injected gas is dissolved in effluent. Here both the ozone and carbon reactors are supposed to 'burp' for lack of a more technical term.

Few more pieces arriving over the next two weeks, but hope to have the new sump up and running soon. Will post more videos then.

Interesting you caught the routing. Thought for sure someone would call me out on the JACO fittings not being ozone compatible, put they are Kynar. Little concerned about the LLDPE tubing (it only has a 'fair' rating for ozone resistance), but I'll see how it performs and am ready with some Kynar barbed fittings and silicon tubing if necessary.

Appreciate the sharp eyes and heads-up!

Mike
What kind of air pump do you use? Can you post some pics or video of your whole setup. Thanks.

Really like to see your build thread.

Derek

Just4Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Will do Derek.

I'm an EB8 away from having everything on hand. Backordered through PA, but finally on it's way and will be here Monday.

Air pump is an ancient Tetra Luft pump (available now from Coralife).

No build thread. Will wait when I transfer everything over to a larger tank in the future.

Unread 09/16/2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Water Tecn
Registered Member

could you explain why you chose to run an ozone over the other choices? what are the benifits?

Water Tecn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

I don't view the use of ozone unto itself, but IMO it improves the efficiency of other forms of filtration (i.e. protein skimming, GFO etc.). Water definitely looks 'clearer' to me when ozone is used.

Here is a good article by Randy Holmes-Farley:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Unread 12/12/2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Pny
Registered Member

Quote:

HTML Code:

Mike
Which model is this? Does the Avast Marine Mutiny ozone reactor have this dual chamber design as standard?

Pny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2011, 09:03 AM   #12
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

That is a Mutiny 1 paired with a MR5-18 media reactor for carbon postfiltering. We recommend a similarly sized carbon chamber but that is your choice; the ozone reactor itself is just the single tube. Many people opt to go with our media reactor for carbon but you can use any extra carbon chamber you might already have on hand.

Justin

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Pny,

Apologies for the late reply... ahh, the joys of International travel and the lack of decent Wi-Fi!

Justin's spot on (as if that confirmation was really needed!). Both are "YOU built" items - Mutiny 1 & an MR5-18. Very complete units, although I did swap out connectors to meet my own plumbing needs.

Mike

Tags
avast, mutiny, ozone, ozone reactor, reactor