Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2017, 04:56 PM   #26
vhuang168
Registered Member

So you are trying to connect the Apex to your Mac directly? When you said hardwired, I was expecting the Apex to be hardwired to your router.

Please explain how your Apex is wired so we can help you set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 05:00 PM   #27
spifftempo
Registered Member

I'm reading all this back and fourth here and it seems we are missing a couple of key setup questions.

1. Is this Apex hardwired or wireless to your network?
If it is wireless to your network, have you configured that wireless bridge with the new WiFi network, if not, then start there.

2. Do you have DCHP enabled on your Apex? DHCP is what most devices have enabled by default, but it seems alot of people used static IP addresses with their Apex. This is likely a carry over before Fusion existed and you needed to do port forwarding for your Apex. DHCP is kind of like a device asking the network for all the details to connect to the network. If its disabled, then your device must be manually configured and you have to know what your doing. So, make sure DHCP is enabled. To do this, go to your Apex display screen: Go to System> Netsetup> DCHP> then restart the Apex from the Netsetup menu.

3. Don't worry about the firmware update. IMHO, that will always be an engineer's first suggestion. But since your Apex was working before the router change on whatever version of firmware would allow you to connect to Apex Fusion. So updating the firmware, while its always a good idea, isn't going to get you connected to Apex Fusion.

4. If you continue to have trouble, then contact Neptune Systems support. They stay busy, but they will make time for you after the weekend and have you up and running in no time.

spifftempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 05:18 PM   #28
Jlentz
Registered Member

You are blaming the apex when you should be blaming yourself for not setting up your new netgear router properly.

Jlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 06:16 PM   #29
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlentz View Post
You are blaming the apex when you should be blaming yourself for not setting up your new netgear router properly.

That may be the case, but everything else works as it did before and I followed the router installation instructions word for word. Just because I'm not familiar with those terms doesn't mean if I have a second I won't be able to find them.

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 06:23 PM   #30
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifftempo View Post
I'm reading all this back and fourth here and it seems we are missing a couple of key setup questions.

1. Is this Apex hardwired or wireless to your network?
If it is wireless to your network, have you configured that wireless bridge with the new WiFi network, if not, then start there.

2. Do you have DCHP enabled on your Apex? DHCP is what most devices have enabled by default, but it seems alot of people used static IP addresses with their Apex. This is likely a carry over before Fusion existed and you needed to do port forwarding for your Apex. DHCP is kind of like a device asking the network for all the details to connect to the network. If its disabled, then your device must be manually configured and you have to know what your doing. So, make sure DHCP is enabled. To do this, go to your Apex display screen: Go to System> Netsetup> DCHP> then restart the Apex from the Netsetup menu.

3. Don't worry about the firmware update. IMHO, that will always be an engineer's first suggestion. But since your Apex was working before the router change on whatever version of firmware would allow you to connect to Apex Fusion. So updating the firmware, while its always a good idea, isn't going to get you connected to Apex Fusion.

4. If you continue to have trouble, then contact Neptune Systems support. They stay busy, but they will make time for you after the weekend and have you up and running in no time.

1. Have been using a wireless bridge. Linksys I believe. When attempting to update the firmware though I followed neptunes instructions and restarted the apex after wiring it directly to the router and restarting the base unit. DHCP has always been ON.

2. DHCP is and always has been ON. I have no idea why on the third restart it loaded a 10.0.0.10 IP address. It previously had a 192.168.something or other on the first two failed attempts

3. Gotcha. Yes I'd love to be able to use fusion again. Programming on the display is a pain

4. I opened a ticket. Still waiting to hear back.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to try and help. I did this previously on a PC. Maybe it's just not playing nice with a mac (which if that's the case it's still frustrating. It's not 1998 anymore).

May have mentioned. But I'll echo. So I downloaded the latest firmware. When I open it I get an error message. I thought it was supposed to open an apexflash utility to update? Mine just gives me an error message. The flash utility I have I believe is from the 4.32 firmware I attempted a long time ago (and had to do it from a pc for it to work). I'm guessing the old flash utility isn't going to pull the new firmware I downloaded?

Unread 05/20/2017, 06:44 PM   #31
Jlentz
Registered Member

How old is the Mac? I've had issues with updating in my old crackbook with snow leopard. El Capitan has worked well though. If it's older it could be a problem. Mine wouldn't run the firmware updater program.

Unread 05/20/2017, 07:28 PM   #32
Bpb
Registered Member

frustrated beyond belief

It's an I7 IMAC purchased new in 2014. Running Lion if I'm not mistaken. Whatever was before El Capitan. I never did that update as I heard it was terrible

Unread 05/20/2017, 08:41 PM   #33
jonmos75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
It's an I7 IMAC purchased new in 2014. Running Lion if I'm not mistaken. Whatever was before El Capitan. I never did that update as I heard it was terrible

Per the instruction on Neptune Community Form these are the iOS that are supported

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-now-available

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (18.4 KB, 19 views)
jonmos75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 09:57 PM   #34
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

Some of the best and most beautiful reef tanks I've seen use nothing more than a Power Strip............ I own an Apex myself and I can honestly say IMO it's more bling than practical. I really like the WXM module, but other than that I'd say I'm using 10% out of a 100% of the controllers actual capability.

CODE3EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 05:56 AM   #35
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
Per the instruction on Neptune Community Form these are the iOS that are supported

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-now-available

There it is. New firmware is only compatible with El Capitan or later. And the apex flash will not load the new firmware. Answers the problem entirely. Why couldn't they have put that information in plain English on the download page?

Unread 05/21/2017, 04:47 PM   #36
spifftempo
Registered Member

Quote:
2. DHCP is and always has been ON. I have no idea why on the third restart it loaded a 10.0.0.10 IP address. It previously had a 192.168.something or other on the first two failed attempts
That is important. After it loaded the 10.0.0.10 address could you connect to Apex Fusion? Could you access http://10.0.0.10 from your web-browser? If so, then when you connect it back up to your LinkSys bridge you should still be able to access it. If you cannot access it connected to your router, then post up your network settings page from your Mac here. If you cannot access it just on your LinkSys, then then LinkSys is not setup appropriately.

Again, I would leave the whole firmware part out of everything right now. It really isn't what is keeping you from connecting to Apex Fusion- its your network.

spifftempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 04:56 PM   #37
Jlentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Why couldn't they have put that information in plain English on the download page?

Becuase Neptune is terrible at making sense.

I'd not worry about the firmware until the networking issue is sorted out. That's the main problem at this point.

Unread 05/23/2017, 09:50 AM   #38
wmo168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnoMonster View Post
Nice.. you know the return policy? Just got mine and now reconsidering to go with something cheaper.. not to mention that every apex ready products and additions are about $200 more than anything on the market

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
If yours forsale I want to buy it from you and try? I am thinking of upgrading my DA to Apex...

wmo168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 02:55 PM   #39
edsbeaker
Registered Member

The new firmware is also compatible with Yosemite, which came out between Lion and El Capitan. You may have updated Yosemite from Lion. so that may not be the issue.

Quote:
There it is. New firmware is only compatible with El Capitan or later. And the apex flash will not load the new firmware. Answers the problem entirely. Why couldn't they have put that information in plain English on the download page?