Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2014, 03:17 PM   #1251
dahos
Registered Member

I did have to re-setup all my control settings also. yay me.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump/fuge, RKE, AI Hydra
dahos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2014, 03:18 PM   #1252
saltyair
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
Sweeping clouds is pretty nice. Maybe reboot your director and see if it pulls the update.
Very cool I have mine set up to Townsville Australia its been a cloudy day

Bye for now - Eric the actor R.I.P

Current Tank Info: 180 gal
saltyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2014, 04:10 PM   #1253
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Yea mine is set to here in Florida but clouds are too intense. It looks more like a thunder cloud over head than a regular cloud.

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2014, 05:21 PM   #1254
milsaltnewbie07
Registered Member

Me to sonic, clouds are making leds go down to like 5%. Crazy. I dont think my sps are liking it to much either. I might just go to manual progm , instead of region weather. Unless there is a better way

milsaltnewbie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2014, 05:25 PM   #1255
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Yea I bumped up my whites 5% to make up for it, I did have a very cloudy day though. But I think there should be a maximum cloud setting.

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Unread 04/12/2014, 07:41 PM   #1256
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahos View Post
Ver. 2.0.7-r0 is what mine shows now.

Finally got both lights to update. What a mess. Had to try several different channels and turn everything in the house that uses wifi off. Still took several tries but I hopefully am done!!!
Wow,Am i that far behind.My ver.1.026 r20.Do i need to reboot.

ReefTankHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2014, 07:44 PM   #1257
saltyair
Registered Member

I disagree that a cloudy day would upset sps there is a study that cloudy formations help in growth.
If a week or two of heavy clouds keep showing up I can see using manual.
Probably good for algae control

Unread 04/12/2014, 08:38 PM   #1258
gregrocks79
Less talk, more rock!

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahos View Post
Ver. 2.0.7-r0 is what mine shows now.

Finally got both lights to update. What a mess. Had to try several different channels and turn everything in the house that uses wifi off. Still took several tries but I hopefully am done!!!

I just went through this same exact thing. Was so annoying!!

Funny my Hawaii settings are super cloudy too. Sometimes a really dark one. Seems like were all on the same page lol

Current Tank Info: 25G Innovative Marine Fusion Lagoon - Vortech MP10QD - Vortech Radion XR15 Pro - 10g ATO - IM Desktop Skimmer / Reactor
gregrocks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 06:49 AM   #1259
das75
Registered Member

is there release notes for the fw upgrade?

Current Tank Info: 145g Starfire display (mixed reef) w/75g basement sump & 20g refugium, Barracuda return, Dart w/OM 4way CL, AI Hydras and Director.
das75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 06:58 AM   #1260
Agathos
Registered Member

I started with regional weather today myself (Indonesia, since most of my livestock comes from there), and, like you, I notice that the clouds make a substantial reduction in my overall light output throughout a day. I checked the real weather forecast for Indonesia and quite right, there will be overcast weather for most of this week.

Will this be a problem for my corals? It is well known that modern LEDs are suited for growing light-demanding corals. Will these lights work at growing SPS with only ~ 50 % output caused live weather simulation?

Agathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 08:54 AM   #1261
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by das75 View Post
is there release notes for the fw upgrade?
I tried searching for them last night to no avail. .

Unread 04/13/2014, 08:58 AM   #1262
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyair View Post
I disagree that a cloudy day would upset sps there is a study that cloudy formations help in growth.
If a week or two of heavy clouds keep showing up I can see using manual.
Probably good for algae control
Understood but the study I read which I will try to find and post stated that even the slightest reduction in light can slow coral growth by 50%.. or was it 50% reduction in light can slow coral growth slightly...lol I need to find the paper.

Unread 04/13/2014, 09:02 AM   #1263
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Here is the guts of it..
In addition to affecting the shape of a colony’s growth, environmental factors influence the rates at which various species of corals grow. One of the most significant factors is sunlight. On sunny days, the calcification rates of corals can be twice as fast as on cloudy days (Barnes, R.S.K. and Hughes, 1999). This is likely a function of the symbiotic zooxanthellae algae, which play a unique role in enhancing the corals’ ability to synthesize calcium carbonate. Experiments have shown that rates of calcification slow significantly when zooxanthellae are removed from corals, or when corals are kept in shade or darkness (Lalli and Parsons 1995).

Found here
http://www.coris.noaa.gov/about/what_are/

Unread 04/13/2014, 09:50 AM   #1264
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

OK had to turn off weather feature because half a dark tank was driving me crazy. Set it to manual and 30% 20% and it is much nicer and still sweeps

Last edited by Sonicboom; 04/13/2014 at 10:03 AM.
Unread 04/13/2014, 10:33 AM   #1265
gregrocks79
Less talk, more rock!

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Agreed, the last update seems like it was released too early and the clouds are too much.

Seems like a lot of people had problems updating both lights and director wouldn't connect.

Pretty stupid to release an update that doesn't seem like it was written well and sent out too early without proper testing.

Now I went from regional settings back to manual cuz the clouds were too dark and didn't seem to stop. Stoops

Current Tank Info: 25G Innovative Marine Fusion Lagoon - Vortech MP10QD - Vortech Radion XR15 Pro - 10g ATO - IM Desktop Skimmer / Reactor

Last edited by gregrocks79; 04/13/2014 at 10:52 AM.
Unread 04/13/2014, 10:52 AM   #1266
Agathos
Registered Member

When we simulate real weather of the tropics we should expect quite a lot of clouds. My question is whether the resulting reduction in light output is still viable with SPS growth?

Unread 04/13/2014, 10:54 AM   #1267
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

See post #1263.

Unread 04/13/2014, 10:56 AM   #1268
gregrocks79
Less talk, more rock!

Ya what he said ^^ lol

Unread 04/13/2014, 11:01 AM   #1269
Agathos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
See post #1263.
But that relates to the light from the sun. SPS on real reefs can absolutely live with the occasional clouds, after all, they are evolved to fit that environment (although the study indicates calcification is slowed down when there are clouds). But LEDs don't give the same light output as the sun shining in the tropics. With LEDs we might already by on the limit of sustaining SPS growth and a reduction of 50 % in light intensity as caused by clouds simulation might result in conditions that won't support growth at all. Because of this I am a bit anxious about adding clouds and especially simulating real reef conditions where there might be overcast 50 % of the time.

Unread 04/13/2014, 11:07 AM   #1270
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Agreed that corals can live with clouds, I just want to have the most light on them for maximum growth with no bleaching. I am sure I can lower my leds down to 30% and have growth but it will take twice as long for growth opposed to tweaking until I am on the edge of max growth and bleaching

Unread 04/13/2014, 03:13 PM   #1271
milsaltnewbie07
Registered Member

Sonic same boat as you. I just dropped regional setting and went to manual . 8am to 5 pm 4hr ramp. Clouds 40/30. Same as i had on controller and was working great for me

Unread 04/13/2014, 03:14 PM   #1272
saltyair
Registered Member

today I had sun almost all day - not worried about clouds :-) I love watching them sweep lol. Might help me control my alk and cal consumption with slower growth. Townsville Australia averages 8.4hrs of sunlight a day.

my update went smooth each light flashed as the firmware updated. I would suggest if your having issues pick a new wireless channel

Unread 04/13/2014, 03:35 PM   #1273
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaltnewbie07 View Post
Sonic same boat as you. I just dropped regional setting and went to manual . 8am to 5 pm 4hr ramp. Clouds 40/30. Same as i had on controller and was working great for me
good to hear, by the way if you select regional and let it pull the sunrise sunset times, then you can switch back to manual. you can do it about once a week to keep the lights synched with sunrise sunset.

Unread 04/13/2014, 06:25 PM   #1274
AdamC00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC00 View Post
I have had great success with these lights for a little over a month now. Starting last Friday, I came home from work and my glass was covered with algae so bad you could barely see into the tank. Since then I have lowered my light settings and I cannot seem to get it under control. I am cleaning a great deal of algae off my glass 2 times a day. Any advice? I have also added PhosGuard to my filter, per a recommendation of service company.
I am still having an algae problem on my glass only. My sand is not bad, it is just my glass. I am having to clean it twice a day. All of my levels are in range and I have lowered my phosphates to .3ppm. I have also turned my acclimation on at a 30% reduction in light power. I have added 25 snails to the tank and performed water changes more frequently. Any other suggestions to help fix this problem?

AdamC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 06:38 PM   #1275
milsaltnewbie07
Registered Member

Are your Po4 at .3 or .03. Because the second number is were you want to be.