Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2017, 06:19 PM   #151
scuzy
Registered Member

Welcome to the club I just changed from HE to HO and the tank looks a better in HO mode. More vibrant looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 11:21 AM   #152
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Incredible, as usual Scott!
Your tank definitely seems to be enjoying those Mitras.
If I am correct...you have run both the G4's and now the newest Mitras....do you have a preference and if so, what specifically would that be?

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 07:43 AM   #153
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

I have run both the LX6 and the new G4 Pro, the G4Pro IMO has the edge, the difference purely seems to be in the lens against reflector. when running the LX6 which I think runs the same reflector as the LX7, there was a lack of refractive light in my tank so the underside of the SPS slowly died off. The G4 lenses creating abundant refraction and all sides of the corals are coloured and growing strong.

This is my experience of course others will naturally have their own, but for me and my personal tank the G4 pro has given better coral health. But every tank is different.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 11:55 AM   #154
Dugless
Registered Member

Was the underside die off you experienced in mature colonies or in smaller pieces as well? Thanks!

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:09 PM   #155
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
Was the underside die off you experienced in mature colonies or in smaller pieces as well? Thanks!
In both. Both my 24x24 and 36x32 did the same. Now have an 8 month old 60x30x24 on G4 pro and very impressed.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Unread 03/14/2017, 02:34 PM   #156
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
I have run both the LX6 and the new G4 Pro, the G4Pro IMO has the edge, the difference purely seems to be in the lens against reflector. when running the LX6 which I think runs the same reflector as the LX7, there was a lack of refractive light in my tank so the underside of the SPS slowly died off. The G4 lenses creating abundant refraction and all sides of the corals are coloured and growing strong.

This is my experience of course others will naturally have their own, but for me and my personal tank the G4 pro has given better coral health. But every tank is different.
While I am not discounting your experience, one thing doesn't make much sense about your hypothesis. The Radions have two clusters located in the center of the fixture. The Mitras have 6 which are all positioned out to the perimeter. The Mitras based on my experience have a bit wider spread as a result of the cluster layout being a bit wider on the fixture. While the reflectors are different between the Mitras and Radions, that would only impact light at the surface of the corals. It would have no bearing on the underside since the spread reflectors will have minimal to no impact on shadowing.

While I completely understand your preference (despite the fact that you are comparing 6200's and not the LX7's), based on my experience with the Radions, the 6200's and the 7200's, I don't see the Radions doing any better. I have all 3 at home and have used all 3. Granted I have the G3 Pro at home right now and not the G4 but the Mitras LX7's are better than the other 2 by a long shot. I've had limited experience with the G4 (sent it back in favor of the LX7's) but I'd still pick the LX7 over the G4 because of the width or spread alone. Also, the LX7 is a MAJOR step up from the LX6200 beyond just the cluster layout. The power balancing allows for MUCH more output to the needed channels meaning that you can take full advantage of the LX7's total power even when other channels are dimmed down where as you can't do that with the LX6200 when dimming other channels. As such, the comparison between the LX6200 and G4 vs the LX7206 and G4 is an apples to oranges comparison. The LX7206 is a big step up from the LX6200.

That said, I have one LX7 over a 36"x20" tank and I have no recession or die off under my SPS whatsoever. Same can be said about my 4' x 8' main display which has 6 Mitras over it. My SPS are doing VERY well under these lights and I am seeing no recession anywhere on my corals.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 02:51 PM   #157
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Sorry my post was not a debate or mine is better etc etc just simple human experience. The G4pro has the same spread as the LX7 the difference maybe in how the light is utilized, I am no light expert just sharing my own experience.

Last edited by AQD_ottawa; 03/14/2017 at 03:12 PM.
Unread 03/14/2017, 05:33 PM   #158
Dugless
Registered Member

I think spread and coverage can be two different things. Coverage being what kind of footprint the light can achieve. Whereas spread is how well the light is refracted and utilized within that footprint.

While the LX7 has more light sources at the perimeter of a larger unit and would theoretically have a better coverage, does this also mean it would have better spread? I'm wondering if the reflectors aren't as effective as the G4Pro lenses in allowing light to every coral surface?

Unread 03/14/2017, 05:36 PM   #159
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
While the LX7 has more light sources at the perimeter of a larger unit and would theoretically have a better coverage, does this also mean it would have better spread? I'm wondering if the reflectors aren't as effective as the G4Pro lenses in allowing light to every coral surface?
May explain my coral issues good point.

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:04 AM   #160
Editour2
Frank

Truly a conundrum....both the G4 and LX7 series have great programmability options and control over the individual LED colors....both have attempted to improve the issue with light refraction and thus the issue with the coral growth from the underside. Personally I like the six pucks on the Mitras versus the 2 on G4's regarding adequate light coverage/spread w/out shading or disco effect. I feel that more units may be required with the G4's....I have a six foot (long) x 2 foot (front to back) tank and feel that 3 Mitras would supply adequate lighting while 4 units may be needed with the G4's. On the other hand I like the reflective lenses on the G4 better than the Mitras.......

Why can't we have a unit that combines the best of both worlds...LOL !!!

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.

Last edited by Editour2; 03/15/2017 at 09:09 AM.
Unread 03/15/2017, 09:17 AM   #161
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Frank -- Just commit, one way or the other.
+ for Mitras - 2
+ for G4 - 1
LX7 gets my vote.

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:22 AM   #162
Marco@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editour2 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu5G443dQ4A

Marco@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 11:48 AM   #163
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Truly a conundrum....both the G4 and LX7 series have great programmability options and control over the individual LED colors....both have attempted to improve the issue with light refraction and thus the issue with the coral growth from the underside. Personally I like the six pucks on the Mitras versus the 2 on G4's regarding adequate light coverage/spread w/out shading or disco effect. I feel that more units may be required with the G4's....I have a six foot (long) x 2 foot (front to back) tank and feel that 3 Mitras would supply adequate lighting while 4 units may be needed with the G4's. On the other hand I like the reflective lenses on the G4 better than the Mitras.......

FWIW.. As somebody who is running the LX7's and has FIRST hand experience with the Mitras LX7's, Mitras LX6200 and Radions, there are no issues with the LX7's when it comes to the undersides of the corals that won't be present with either light if you don't have enough lights or don't have the lights positioned correctly for the tank and corals. I have the LX7206's over two of my personal tanks. Both have SPS in them. One has 6 LX7206's and the other has one LX7206. There are no issues with the undersides of the corals at all and all SPS are growing insanely well from top to bottom. I have the luxury of running what ever lights I choose and chose the Mitras after comparing and testing all kinds of lights including the G4's. To even compare the LX7206 to a Radion using the LX6200 as a reference is a very poor comparison. Looks can be subjective though there are a lot of factors that play a role because both the Radion and the Mitras have a lot of tuning capabilities. I will also note that I am not a re-seller for either product. My bias is based on experience as a user and as somebody who switched from Radium Halides & VHO's back in 2010 and has used exclusively LED's since then. I've played with countless LED's. I have quite a number of different fixtures at home and they all have their good points and bad points. I have installed pretty much every high end light at one location or another and am very happy with my decision as are my corals. At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with either the Mitras LX7206 or the G4 Pro. I thiink the LX7206 has some minor advantages over the G4 but we could debate that until the cows come home. Both are great lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@GHLUSA View Post

Thanks a hell of a lot!! I HATE that song! Everytime I hear it, it gets stuck in my damn head!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 03/15/2017 at 12:07 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 12:46 PM   #164
d2mini
Registered Member

Marco, you jerk. lol

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 12:59 PM   #165
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Marco, you jerk. lol
+1.3 Trillion

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:21 PM   #166
Gbtipp
Registered Member

I have a question, would one LX7 cover a 36x18x24 tank that has a brace? I'm looking at doing a mixed reef but heavy on sps.

Gbtipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:02 PM   #167
Dugless
Registered Member

I think any aquarium with a center brace is going to benefit from two lights, otherwise you will have light loss and possibly weird shadowing.

Unread 03/15/2017, 02:02 PM   #168
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbtipp View Post
I have a question, would one LX7 cover a 36x18x24 tank that has a brace? I'm looking at doing a mixed reef but heavy on sps.

Center brace? If so, I'd go with two.
That brace will create a nasty shadow.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:06 PM   #169
Gbtipp
Registered Member

Yes center braced guess I could have said that. Thanks for the info

Gbtipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:41 PM   #170
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@GHLUSA View Post
I'm missing something here......I don't get it !!!

Unread 03/15/2017, 04:59 PM   #171
mikeatjac
Registered Member

After playing with both lights you really can't go wrong with either.

Unread 03/16/2017, 08:25 AM   #172
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post
After playing with both lights you really can't go wrong with either.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=127

You did get the G4 lights, correct?

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 10:40 AM   #173
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalAngel View Post
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=127

You did get the G4 lights, correct?
Yes

Unread 03/19/2017, 03:41 PM   #174
scuzy
Registered Member

Should order them now premium Aquatics had them for $637 right now.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 10:40 PM   #175
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I don't get it

Quote:
I'm missing something here......I don't get it !!!
Insert pen in the pineapple

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote