Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2017, 09:47 AM   #1
jt41time
Registered Member

Ro/di question.... some what offtopic...

Hello everyone.

I have a ro/di setup for all of my tanks. But I'm sick of the taste of my fridge water. I want to add a drinking water tank to my setup but I don't have room for a fauset. So my question is,..
Can I use just a tank and plumb it into my fridge? The fauset serve any other purpose beside despensing? I just want to t off my ro line and run it to the tank and then run that to my fridge. Is that possible? Do I need anything else besides the standard tubing/fittings and etc...?
I asked BRS but they didn't really answer me....
I figured you guys would know.....

jt41time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Opus123
Registered Member

I think you are fine buying the drinking kit from BRS or another RO place and not using the faucet. The faucet has no special hidden purpose other than turning the water on or off which is the same thing your fridge will do. As long as the tank is big enough to serve your water needs you should be fine.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 10:26 AM   #3
jt41time
Registered Member

Perfect. Thank you. Looks like my will stop complainING about the water.....

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Opus123
Registered Member

Does your fridge not have a carbon filter you can change out?

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:04 AM   #5
jt41time
Registered Member

Yup. At 50$ each

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Opus123
Registered Member

My fridge is 17 years old and I've only changed mine a couple of times. My wife is picky and I change it when she says the water is starting to taste bad. They are way over priced though. Have you thought about just buying one of the RO canisters from BRS and just run it with a carbon block in it? A lot cheaper than the fridge unit and also cheaper than buying the drinking kit. I did this for our sink, bought a RO canister and carbon block and bought a cheap faucet to hook it up to.

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:11 AM   #7
jt41time
Registered Member

I already have a 6 stage rodi. I figured just add the tank and plumb the fridge to it. My ro taste great. 40$ for the tank and I have fittings....

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:45 AM   #8
shellsea
Registered Member

I have 2 comments. I read somewhere on this forum that drinking water after it has gone through the DI treatment is not a good idea. Secondly I get my fridge filters on line for way less than the $50 big box stores charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:54 AM   #9
jt41time
Registered Member

I am def not using di for drinking. Ro only. Also, I bought my last filater for fridge at 30$. Online. Still too much.

Unread 09/08/2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Opus123
Registered Member

You will need a ASOV fitting if you don't already have it.

Here is a diagram showing how to setup a drinking tank. You of course can skip the faucet and extra carbon filter.

http://spectrapure.com/huds/4-STAGE-DWK-RODI-NAG.pdf

Unread 09/08/2017, 12:44 PM   #11
jt41time
Registered Member

The auto shut off? Ya. Got one. Thank you.

Unread 09/08/2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Opus123
Registered Member

Yes, the auto shut off. Wanted to make sure since the BRS drinking kit didn't include it or mention one was needed. I think they don't do it because they have it included in all their RO setups they sale.

Unread 09/08/2017, 02:06 PM   #13
billdogg
Registered Member

When I bought my ro/di from BuckeyeHydro, that was one of the things I knew I wanted so I picked out what I thought I needed. I still had a couple questions however, so I called Russ. He convinced me that I didn't need a storage tank or really, anything else much at all. The wonderful people at BH custom built my 75gpd unit with a "T" after the sediment and carbon filters (no real need for ro either) and I just ran a line from there up to the water line to the refrigerator. Haven't bought a filter in years for it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 04:33 AM   #14
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt41time View Post
Hello everyone.

I have a ro/di setup for all of my tanks. But I'm sick of the taste of my fridge water. I want to add a drinking water tank to my setup but I don't have room for a fauset. So my question is,..
Can I use just a tank and plumb it into my fridge? The fauset serve any other purpose beside despensing? I just want to t off my ro line and run it to the tank and then run that to my fridge. Is that possible? Do I need anything else besides the standard tubing/fittings and etc...?
I asked BRS but they didn't really answer me....
I figured you guys would know.....
This is an easy add-on to any existing RODI system - you would essentially be creating our Reef/Residential RODI system. Some fittings, parts, check valves... plumbed correctly, and you're good to go.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote