Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2017, 01:05 PM   #1
PirateLove
Registered Member

Temp has been 74 in my tank this whole time

I think I figured out why I cannot get my corals to open/grow. I placed my heater (brand new Eheim truetemp) in the same area of my return pump. The return pump was giving off enough heat that the heater never turned on. The temp in my tank was around 74 this whole time. Could this be the reason corals are not doing well and will they bounce back? Also, does this theory make sense about it being in the same chamber as my return? I do not think the new heater is malfunctioning...

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Current tank: Cad Lights 42 versa. Kessil AP700. Some Sps and Lps.
PirateLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 01:14 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

&4 is on the low end of normal range, but perfectly acceptable. I keep my tanks at 76 or so. The big advantage of keeping it at a lower temperature is the the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water is greater at lower temps. The coral and fishes metabolism may be a bit slower as well decreasing their need for more feedings.

The chamber you have it in has nothing at all to do with how effective the heater is. It just needs to be calibrated. (or just turned up a notch or two until you reach your desired target temp. You should NEVER rely on the thermostat of a heater! They are all notoriously prone to failure, and they almost always fail "on". You should actually use 2 (or more) smaller heaters so that when one does fail there is less chance of it cooking your tank.

I replace mine about once every 12-18 months just because.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 02:58 PM   #3
mikem101
Registered Member

+1 I keep my tank at 74-75 all the time, and does great. some people like to keep there tanks a little warmer but I feel my coral does better at these temps!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 06:57 PM   #4
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

My tank will fluctuate daily from 75 to 78, though I have seen it up to 80 on days I forgot the AC...i use a reef keeper to make sure the heater never fails on... well I guess it could butt the rk will turn the outlet off....i think my pump and ambient temps are enough to keep my heater off though... my coral all seem to be fine at 75ish

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 06:59 PM   #5
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem101 View Post
+1 I keep my tank at 74-75 all the time, and does great. some people like to keep there tanks a little warmer but I feel my coral does better at these temps!
do you have chiller running all the time? I be lucky if my goes down 78 that is at night when all light off except for moon lights

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 07:02 PM   #6
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
do you have chiller running all the time? I be lucky if my goes down 78 that is at night when all light off except for moon lights

No my house stays pretty cool and I think the depth of my tank really helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/15/2017, 07:03 PM   #7
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Question. How do you know it was 74 the whole time?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Another question, what temp was your heater set to?

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 07:50 PM   #9
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Another question, what temp was your heater set to?

Heater is set @ 74 and I know it stays around 74 because my thermometer has a digital read out that shows me temps for the last 24 hrs. So maybe I should have said usually 74 does jump up to 75 even 76 rarely.

Unread 10/15/2017, 08:00 PM   #10
justletmein
Premium Member

Wondering how the heck you guys get your tank temps down that far. Every tank I've ever owned was always in the 80's and usually up to mid-80's with the halides.

justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 08:12 PM   #11
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Heater is set @ 74 and I know it stays around 74 because my thermometer has a digital read out that shows me temps for the last 24 hrs. So maybe I should have said usually 74 does jump up to 75 even 76 rarely.

For clarification, I was talking to the original poster. It seemed like they were surprised to suddenly learn that the tank was 74 degrees. I'm just wondering how that happened. Did they just add a thermometer? Is that thermometer accurate?

Any time I see or hear a reading out of the ordinary, or a sudden variation in a reading, my first inclination is to doubt the measurement method versus doubting the actual parameter. At the least, it always pays to validate your measurement.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 08:18 PM   #12
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
For clarification, I was talking to the original poster. It seemed like they were surprised to suddenly learn that the tank was 74 degrees. I'm just wondering how that happened. Did they just add a thermometer? Is that thermometer accurate?

Any time I see or hear a reading out of the ordinary, or a sudden variation in a reading, my first inclination is to doubt the measurement method versus doubting the actual parameter. At the least, it always pays to validate your measurement.

Ohhhh lol and that's a good point could be a false reading on a bad piece of equipment.

Unread 10/15/2017, 08:19 PM   #13
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Wondering how the heck you guys get your tank temps down that far. Every tank I've ever owned was always in the 80's and usually up to mid-80's with the halides.

I use LED's lol I have no lids and no canopy, also my house stays about 70 all year round lol!

Unread 10/15/2017, 10:45 PM   #14
justletmein
Premium Member

Quote:
I use LED's lol I have no lids and no canopy, also my house stays about 70 all year round lol!
I keep mine at 74 so that probably has something to do with it.

justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 04:49 AM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I keep mine at 74 so that probably has something to do with it.
If your home (ambient) is 74 and your tank temp is higher than your return pump or lighting or whatever is raising it above the ambient..
Plain and simple..

You mentioned halides..
Many run LEDs and lower wattage DC pumps (or just more efficient pumps..or external pumps),etc....

Last edited by mcgyvr; 10/21/2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: your not you
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:56 AM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Exactly right. My tank runs about 2-4 degrees above ambient. House runs nominally at 78 in the Summer, 67 in the winter. I generally don't let the tank fall below 77 or climb about 80 (though a larger min/max is unlikely to be problematic). Back in the 'old days' I would keep my tank closer to 75 year round, but I have found a slightly higher temp to be better. I've also not found reasonable variations to be a problem.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 09:26 AM   #17
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

74F here and my corals grow like crazy. Would they grow faster at higher temps? Maybe, maybe not. Usually growth is based on chemistry and lighting a bit more than temperature IMO.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 10:32 AM   #18
PirateLove
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Question. How do you know it was 74 the whole time?
After reading everyone's responses I guess it wasn't stuck at 74 but fluctuating temp. It is in a room with a heater that turns on at night (gets pretty hot in the room), also have a line outside from my skimmer and the outside temperature was under 60. I think all these factors along with my heater never turning on because it was right next to my return pump made my corals mad, some never recovered. I put the heater in the tank itself and it's steady at 80. Everything is happy again.

Current tank: Cad Lights 42 versa. Kessil AP700. Some Sps and Lps.
PirateLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 07:23 PM   #19
hotdogmj71
Registered Member

I have one temp gauge in the upper corner of my tank & one in the sump. They are 2-3 degrees F apart (sump is higher) so I just shoot for consistent temp.