Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/21/2007, 10:04 AM   #76
rlxwcapt
Registered Member

I looked at Reefgeek and could not find that fixture. Did they stop takeing orders for it? What is the price for that fixture?

Unread 08/21/2007, 10:08 AM   #77
tbone28
Registered Member

Reefgeek doesn't have those fixtures on their website. Give Greg a call, and he can get you on the waiting list. He can also give you prices

Unread 08/21/2007, 11:58 AM   #78
Waxxiemann
Registered Member

Looking awesome Tbone, I love the lights! I was looking into powermodules a while back (for my "next" tank that may or may not ever see the light of day).

Greg said that you can get on the waiting list without a deposit, but the line is LONG.

Unread 08/21/2007, 12:07 PM   #79
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Waxxiemann
Looking awesome Tbone, I love the lights! I was looking into powermodules a while back (for my "next" tank that may or may not ever see the light of day).

Greg said that you can get on the waiting list without a deposit, but the line is LONG.
Thanks, Waxxie. Yes, the list is long, but get on it as many people drop off due to the wait. I got on the list myself many months back for both the 6x39 and 8x39. I preferred the 8-bulb fixture. Luckily for me, that one became available first. And yes, no deposit is required!

Unread 08/21/2007, 12:10 PM   #80
Waxxiemann
Registered Member

I CAN'T WAIT to see what it looks like when it's full.

Unread 08/21/2007, 02:02 PM   #81
cbui2
Premium Member

wow, i also see you have added some addition to your kitchen? nicely done with the fixtures

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
Unread 08/21/2007, 02:29 PM   #82
FishTruck
Premium Member

LOL...Jetson's kitchen? Yes, we are into a more contemporary look.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jetson's exactly. Neo-retro modern. Love it.

Kitchen tanks are the best. Highly visible, easy to tinker with while you still can have conversations with your spouse, great to look at while you eat / snack / etc... Awesome.

Keep the pics coming! Glad you are sharing the surrounding room with us.

Ryan

Current Tank Info: Established 2009 - 300 gal acrylic mostly sps, radion LEDs
Unread 08/21/2007, 02:54 PM   #83
tbone28
Registered Member

Thanks for the complement, and understanding the different genres of modern design! My wife chose the location for the tank, and I agree that it's a great location, as it sits in an open living area comprised of the family room, breakfast nook, and kitchen. We spend most of our time in this area.

Unread 08/21/2007, 08:33 PM   #84
naka
Registered Member

Nice tank, but I'm loving your kitchen more!

Unread 08/21/2007, 08:38 PM   #85
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by naka
Nice tank, but I'm loving your kitchen more!
LOL, thanks for your kind words. Funny how this thread is a hybrid tank/kitchen build thread

Unread 08/22/2007, 04:39 AM   #86
melev
Moved On

I love how you have your tank set up in that wall. Still, how does the heat vent out? I don't see anything in the ceiling to draw out heat.

Beautiful tank, beautiful sump, cool lighting.... Very jealous of your project. All new, nothing used.... must figure out a way to make more money somehow!

Unread 08/22/2007, 09:50 AM   #87
tbone28
Registered Member

Melev, Thanks for your nice words. The sump's inspiration was from your website!! I modified the design slightly to fit my needs. I've also placed an order for the bulbs to be hung over my refugium.

The tank sits into the niche that you see, so it's not actually an "in-wall" tank. The front of the tank is covered with a facade. However the area above the tank is completely open. I also have about a 4" space between the back wall and the tank itself, which will allow the sump to "breathe".

The room into which the heat will vent out is a big room. It basically stretches the entire width of our home, so I don't think I should have any heat or humidity issues I'd see in a confined space. What do you think?

Unread 08/22/2007, 08:01 PM   #88
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
Melev, Thanks for your nice words. The sump's inspiration was from your website!! I modified the design slightly to fit my needs. I've also placed an order for the bulbs to be hung over my refugium.

The tank sits into the niche that you see, so it's not actually an "in-wall" tank. The front of the tank is covered with a facade. However the area above the tank is completely open. I also have about a 4" space between the back wall and the tank itself, which will allow the sump to "breathe".

The room into which the heat will vent out is a big room. It basically stretches the entire width of our home, so I don't think I should have any heat or humidity issues I'd see in a confined space. What do you think?
If the hot air above the tank can breathe out into the kitchen, I think it will be fine. I didn't know how tightly the facade is sealed.

Unread 08/23/2007, 12:56 AM   #89
tbone28
Registered Member

I've got a 78" x 27" opening above the tank.

Unread 08/23/2007, 06:03 AM   #90
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
I've got a 78" x 27" opening above the tank.
I can tell it is a large area, but won't the cabinets be closed all the time? How does the heat get out of that section? Is there any kind of venting (passive at least) for it to move out into the kitchen area? I don't mean to keep harping on this; I'd just like to know your thinking and how you've got this figured out.

Unread 08/23/2007, 09:17 AM   #91
tbone28
Registered Member

You're not harping, just concerned , and I appreciate it. Let's see if i can explain it in a different way.

My stand/tank is 24" wide. The front of the stand/tank is 28" from the back wall, so I have a 4" space between the back wall and back of the stand/tank. The heat should rise from behind the tank and up into that 78" x 27" opening directly over the tank.

I also have 3" of space on each side of the tank for the heat to rise up.

It's hard to see in the pictures...the stand looks like it butts up against the wall. To answer your question about whether or not the cabinets will be closed all the time, only the facade will be closed (i.e front of the tank). The other 3 sides and the top will remain open all the time...that's the beauty of the facade

Unread 08/23/2007, 09:20 AM   #92
melev
Moved On

I understand all of that. But where does it go once it has collected above the tank & light fixture? How does it exit that confined area is what I've been asking.

Unread 08/23/2007, 09:27 AM   #93
FishTruck
Premium Member

Melev... I think he is saying that the back of the "hood" is open. It looks like it is built into a cabinet, but, in fact, it is not. So it leaves by "diffusion". Right? In you tank (Melev), you vent into your fishroom? Then let your AC unit vent it somehow? (Sorry to hijack thread).

I am getting ready to face the same challenge with a 300 gal install in a small office. There is a closet in my way to vent it outside, unless I build soffets to hide ducts, yada yada yada.

Unread 08/23/2007, 09:36 AM   #94
melev
Moved On

I installed a vent fan that draws heat and moist air out of the fishroom and out a whirly-bird mounted on the roof.

If it can get out of the custom facade, that's perfect.

Unread 08/23/2007, 10:58 AM   #95
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Reading through this thread makes me wish I had included a built in tank to my kitchen remodel. Giving your wife a new kitchen is an instant plus to the great tank debates.

Current Tank Info: 130g build in progress
Unread 08/23/2007, 01:23 PM   #96
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I understand all of that. But where does it go once it has collected above the tank & light fixture? How does it exit that confined area is what I've been asking.
I think I understand what you're asking now. The hot air doesn't get confined above the tank and light fixture. That area is the 78" x 27" open area I'm talking about. The hot air diffuses into the kitchen. If you look back at the picture where I hung the lights, you can see what I'm talking about.

Unread 08/25/2007, 12:59 AM   #97
diveredd
Registered Member

Awesome tank. I'm glad to see an A.G.E. tank here in the bay area. I'm thinking of a 300gal for my next tank and I really like the AGE build. I'm following this thread. Where are u in the bay area?

Unread 08/25/2007, 11:30 AM   #98
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by diveredd
Awesome tank. I'm glad to see an A.G.E. tank here in the bay area. I'm thinking of a 300gal for my next tank and I really like the AGE build. I'm following this thread. Where are u in the bay area?
Thanks! The build quality is awesome! You'll love yours, too. I'm in the Pleasanton area. Yourself?

Unread 09/02/2007, 03:39 PM   #99
Dudester
Registered Member

I just found this thread, tbone. Great stuff! You mentioned that the hardware for the PowerModul allowed for easy raising and lowering of the pendants. Could you explain how they are raised and lowered? I ask because my PowerModul should arrive in the next 6 weeks or so, and I was thinking I'd have to use a bicycle pulley or something to get into and out of the tank for regular maintenance. Do you think the "stock" hardware will allow for easy access?

Also, love the sump. Are you going to use filter socks, or do you plan to shop vac out the detritus?

Great build so far.

Current Tank Info: building a new home tank l 450g office tank with Deltec everything
Unread 09/02/2007, 04:52 PM   #100
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
I just found this thread, tbone. Great stuff! You mentioned that the hardware for the PowerModul allowed for easy raising and lowering of the pendants. Could you explain how they are raised and lowered? I ask because my PowerModul should arrive in the next 6 weeks or so, and I was thinking I'd have to use a bicycle pulley or something to get into and out of the tank for regular maintenance. Do you think the "stock" hardware will allow for easy access?

Also, love the sump. Are you going to use filter socks, or do you plan to shop vac out the detritus?

Great build so far.
Here's a close-up of the cable-system:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It moves up/down easily, but it won't roll as smoothly as a pulley system will. However, installation of the "stock" hardware is so easy and quick - (1) screw per cable into my top support beams.

1) To move up/down - Press the little tip at the top of the hardware, and you can move the fixture up or down. Depressing the tip releases the grip from the steel cable itself.

2) Tilting - pretty cool feature if you ever need it. Let's say you have too much glare, etc, you can tilt your fixture. To do this, loosen the screw at the bottom of the hardware, tilt your fixture, and re-tighten the screw.

As for my sump, yes, I'll be using filter socks. I'm having a strip of acrylic made right now, which will be glued onto the top of the sump for that purpose.

Tank should be plumbed Tuesday! Pics to follow...

Closed Thread