Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2007, 12:22 AM   #51
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Woohoo! Looking good! I love that canopy and stand. I was thinking about your tank today and wondering when you were going to post some pictures! =)

FWIW I first went with a Quiet one for my closed loop and also a Quiet One for my return. The Quiet One is still on the return. I plumbed it outside and I am telling you that even though they can be run outside, mine was as loud as can be! I had to submerge it and plumb the return from my sump. =( I wanted to plumb everything outside to keep heat down. Didn't work. The closed loop QO was an entire different story. HOLY MOMMA'S! That was really really loud. I sold it and went with a Reeflo Sequence Snapper. I love it. Next tank I'm going with a different return pump and using the QO for mixing saltwater only! Be careful with those. My return pump has to be switched on more than once to get it going. =( I don't like those pumps. I do not believe they should be sold for external usage. JMO though. LFS plumbed her entire store with QO as well and had the same problem. She ended up switching all hers out and went with Pan World. I'd go with a Reeflo pump over those as well. Those are too loud for me. Your tank is looking great though. Wish it was mine!

So the wood on the canopy that looks like Tongue and Groove was done with your table saw? Love it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2007, 08:46 AM   #52
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Great progress. Looking very good!

When it came time to upgrade my pump, I did a lot of reading. I had a fairly noisy MAG 7 that I tried to quiet by replacing the impeller to no avail. So I knew I had to upgrade. I wanted something silent, and looked into the Quiet One's just because of the name. What I found was a whole crapload of threads about Quiet One pumps being incredibly noisy. I didn't take the chance and decided to go with an Ehiem. I couldn't be happier. It is efficient, and best of all completely silent... I mean completely!

-J

Unread 08/09/2007, 12:17 PM   #53
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

The water had cleared quite a bit by yesterday morning so I cleaned the glass off and added the first piece of rock that I have ready to go in last night, also a couple frags snuck their way in...

Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2007, 12:20 PM   #54
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Quote:
Originally posted by miatawnt2b
Great progress. Looking very good!

When it came time to upgrade my pump, I did a lot of reading. I had a fairly noisy MAG 7 that I tried to quiet by replacing the impeller to no avail. So I knew I had to upgrade. I wanted something silent, and looked into the Quiet One's just because of the name. What I found was a whole crapload of threads about Quiet One pumps being incredibly noisy. I didn't take the chance and decided to go with an Ehiem. I couldn't be happier. It is efficient, and best of all completely silent... I mean completely!

-J
I may end up with an Eheim or two running this before it's over... always liked the one I had... or have, just need to spend the $50 for a new impeller and axle...

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
Unread 08/09/2007, 12:59 PM   #55
BenjieC
Registered Member

Aren't the penductors going to create a sandstorm w/ them pointed down the way they are?

Nothing Is Impossible To The Person Who Doesn't Have To Do It Themselves.

Current Tank Info: 8g Nano more once moved
BenjieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2007, 02:10 PM   #56
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

As they are right now with the 4000HH they suck quite a bit of water in but the overall outflow is pretty gentle, the surface has decent movement and the sandbed is staying put.
I don't know what pump I'll end up with but the so called "Quiet One" I have is not the answer... The surround sound needs to be way too high to drown it out

Tim

Unread 08/10/2007, 12:26 AM   #57
JCTewks
Moved On

I don't think the eheim will have enough pressure to run the 2 eductors...I have a (don' laugh) RIO 32HF and that thing has some pressure to it...it is a pressure rated pump as are all of the RIO HF pumps...pretty quiet internal.

JCTewks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2007, 06:27 AM   #58
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
I don't think the eheim will have enough pressure to run the 2 eductors...I have a (don' laugh) RIO 32HF and that thing has some pressure to it...it is a pressure rated pump as are all of the RIO HF pumps...pretty quiet internal.
I wouldn't necessarily hesitate at the RIO's either these days. I think that they changed manufacturing from the meltdown pumps of 5 years ago. I used to use their old ones exclusively for my return years ago, and thank goodness never had a meltdown.
-J

Unread 08/14/2007, 11:37 AM   #59
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

An additional +/- 80 lbs of rock. Dropped the $50 big piece and glued it back together with Gorilla Glue... GG is about the same as Great Stuff so it should be safe... It's polyurethane and apparently chemically inert when it's cured. Glued it Sunday gonna put it in tonight.

Tim

Unread 08/14/2007, 01:32 PM   #60
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Did you make that?

Unread 08/14/2007, 01:39 PM   #61
cannarella
Registered Member

Where did you get that rock? I really like that long bottom piece.

Current Tank Info: 65 Reef
cannarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2007, 04:01 PM   #62
jgs107
Registered Member

looks great.tanks coming along nicely

jgs107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2007, 04:36 PM   #63
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Nope Marine Girl, I didn't make it...

Cannarella, it's called lace rock, got it in Toledo $1.79/lbs. The long one on the bottom is the one I dropped while I was pressure washing it, broke it in about 6 large pieces. I was told it's actually collected in the Rockies, dunno if thats true or not but apparently it comes from the surface because it comes covered with lichen and moss and so on. Dubbin1 has the same rock in his tank and it looks super once it's covered in coraline.

I already had probably enough rock for the tank but I didn't want the "rubble pile" look.

Tim

Unread 08/19/2007, 07:55 PM   #64
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Got back from Lake Erie a little later today than we really wanted to but here's today's progress. It's a little cloudy because I moved some sand around too...
Hope everybody likes...

I have quite a bit more to do, I don't like the look of some of the individual rocks sitting on top of other rocks plus I have some more corals and all my fish to add... I'll have updates soon!

Tim

Unread 08/19/2007, 08:09 PM   #65
Andrew
Registered Member

Looks good Tim!

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2007, 08:19 PM   #66
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Thanks Andrew!

Unread 08/19/2007, 11:30 PM   #67
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Yah I like those lace rocks. It looks great Tim! I like the one in the middle that the cap is on. Did you ever decide what to do about the Quiet One pump?

Unread 08/20/2007, 03:44 AM   #68
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Haven't decided what to go with but I'm gonna change it... Much too noisy. Probably an Eheim....

Tim

Unread 08/20/2007, 06:59 AM   #69
cannarella
Registered Member

Tim, I like how that large rock sits in the tank. It makes a nice overhanging shelf. It gives it lots of depth.

Unread 08/20/2007, 09:13 AM   #70
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

I like it too... the big flat one on the left gave that really nice overhang toward the front of the tank. The biggest piece on the bottom right (the one I dropped and glued back together) coupled with the smaller flat one above it makes a nice cave that goes all the way through to the back. The bottom piece has a nice indent that made a place for it's own sandbed. I've got a few more pieces that need to go in but it's close...

Tim

Unread 08/20/2007, 10:14 PM   #71
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Dang.... My fish look small

I'll have some pics and maybe video tomorrow night I still need to move the tomatoes in... I'll let everybody else get settled first but otherwise I'm getting close until CORA's frag swap in a couple months...

Tim

Unread 08/21/2007, 08:04 AM   #72
cannarella
Registered Member

I don't see any fish in the pics above. Post them up.

Unread 08/21/2007, 09:42 AM   #73
slc-reef
Registered Member

Very nice

slc-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2007, 08:50 PM   #74
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Unread 08/21/2007, 08:50 PM   #75
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

See what you think of these....

...Oops... that's known as the nosy Dogfish...

Grrrrrr..... FEED ME!!!