Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2007, 09:59 PM   #1
cutnup
Registered Member

crossbrace

where can i buy the crossbrace rim thing for the top of the tank? my cross brace crack on my 120 when i was moving it so im kinda at a stand still right now.

cutnup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 12:33 AM   #2
itZme
Registered Member

Most pet shops should be able to order it from the manufacturer. It is not real easy to get the old one off.
I had a friend help me moving tanks around and he broke the brace on one of my 75g's and I just replaced it with a 2" wide strip of 1/4 thick acrylic. I drilled some holes in the frame and acrylic brace, then bolted it with a few nylon bolts. It has been like that for over a year now with no problems. The benefit of this method is that there isn't a shadow from the brace anymore.

Good luck!

itZme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 07:09 AM   #3
hebygb
Registered Member

If your cross brace is still there and just cracked (even if it is cracked through, marry a piece of acrylic to it using any of a couple of techniques. I would cut a piece that if the same length and width and glue it using epoxy.

If you want to go all out, you can cut a single sheet and glue an entire "eurobrace top and epoxy it not only to the cracked brace but to the rim. Be sure to plan your access points well and allow for lighting to get directly to the water.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote