Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

3/4" PVC pipe on a mag 18 closed loop system?

I have a mag 18 and am going to use it to make a closed loop water circulation system. The in and out valves are 3/4" so i am assuming using 3/4" pvc pipe would be sufficent? I was going to follow the general out line of this closed loop system, except i am not using the wavemaker, im just going to put a T splitter. Plans here ... would 3/4" pvc work if it is split into 2 out put nozels?

BTW... im setting this up on a 75g aggressive FOWLR tank.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Fish'InMN
Premium Member

The common rule with Mag pumps is to double the output/input size for your plumbing diameter, in this case 3/4" x 2 = 1.5" plumbing. So, 1.5" would be optimal, but 1" or 1.25" would certainly suffice. Heck, use 1.5" on the input and then 1.5" on the output to the T, then reduce down to 1" to your nozzles if you are really interesting in getting the most out of your pump. You would also leave a lot of room for a larger pump, if say the Mag decides to start leaking on you...

At minimum, use 1 inch PVC all around.

Cheers,
Marty

Fish'InMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2007, 10:09 PM   #3
sivel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish'InMN
The common rule with Mag pumps is to double the output/input size for your plumbing diameter, in this case 3/4" x 2 = 1.5" plumbing. So, 1.5" would be optimal, but 1" or 1.25" would certainly suffice. Heck, use 1.5" on the input and then 1.5" on the output to the T, then reduce down to 1" to your nozzles if you are really interesting in getting the most out of your pump. You would also leave a lot of room for a larger pump, if say the Mag decides to start leaking on you...

At minimum, use 1 inch PVC all around.

Cheers,
Marty

on this ar any similar type pump, wouldnt this cause less flow, i.e more
"strain" or "weight" for lack of a better expression on the pump, actually slowing the flow?

thanks,
sivel

sivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2007, 11:49 PM   #4
musty baby
Registered Member

I'd go with the 1.5 into 1s after your t, but the T will cut down on flow quite a bit. I'd try to use a y instead or some flex pvc to get creative and avoid all sharp turns.

My girlfriend and I put a mag12 on her tank recently, ran it through 1.5 to two 1" lines after a y and it works nicely. The closed loop on my system (mag 9) runs through a 3/4" inlet (that's the max size I can use with the existing holes on my AGA tank) and a 1" outlet and it's very restrictive, I wish I could go bigger at the very least on the intake.

musty baby is offline   Reply With Quote