Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2008, 08:32 PM   #101
Bri Guy
Registered Member

Im honored to have seen this tank in person.

Looking good as always Spike

and yes the background is that blue

Current Tank Info: 40BR w/ 250w 14K Phoenix + 192w PC, 10g fuge w/ 55w PC, 10g sump, Eheim 1250 return w/ SCWD, ASM Mini G skimmer, Gravity fed ATO, Kalk doser, 1/10 HP chiller, 1 Vortec + 3MJs, all on an AC Jr. - Born on date 8-06 Pics in gallery! + 55g FOWLR w/ macro
Bri Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 10:11 PM   #102
Mykel Obvious
Registered Member

Hey Spike,
Love the shots of the little pipe!! Great capture and wonderful tank as well!!

Now show us the pictures of your skimmer and stop photoshopping in all those colors on your brown corals!! If my tank doesn't look that way, yours couldn't possibly look that good Some peoples children

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef
Mykel Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 10:18 PM   #103
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bri Guy
and yes the background is that blue
How? It's photoshopped...

JustinReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 10:35 PM   #104
Jflip2002
Eagles & Tigers Fan

You disgust me lol. We spend all this money on skimmers, sumps, returns, etc. And here you are with no skimmer or sump, and have a gorgeous tank. Great great job on the tank, it looks beautiful.

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder
Jflip2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 11:19 PM   #105
2_zoa
Registered Member

I think that the problem is that, here is a tank that has hit the 3 year mark with a balanced ecosystem, because the owner has resisted the temptation to add more than is allowed by said system along with proper husbandry with out losing interest and then gaining it back again like most do is well.........hard for some to believe.

I think a marine system is like a marriage, If you are going to commit then follow through with your decision. I believe that Aquabucket has put in the time and effort to have his tank questioned by the non dedicated. Don't hate cause this is better than yours and doesn't have a skimmer that would make the power companies ever so much more powerful.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 11:27 PM   #106
Jflip2002
Eagles & Tigers Fan

No one is "hating" here kiddo. It may have been over your head, but it was sarcasm to a degree, and was a compliment. I already implied his tank was nicer, and didnt have a skimmer. And yes, we are making the power companies more powerful by running our skimmers. My whopping 38w skimmer is just making them millions. You donated more money to them typing that post, than my skimmer, in all likeliness.

Unread 11/15/2008, 11:42 PM   #107
2_zoa
Registered Member

WOW, nothing was directed at you it was just a general reply to all that have dis belief about this tank.

By the way I get the sarcasm.

Unread 11/15/2008, 11:55 PM   #108
Jflip2002
Eagles & Tigers Fan

Very well... But all this disbelief is directed as compliments. No one is really hating. I envy I really envy his set up. My equipment I buy is to try to obtain a tank HALF as nice as his. That is all. Enough of me thread crapping...

Gorgeous tank.

Unread 11/16/2008, 12:10 AM   #109
2_zoa
Registered Member

I agree with this being a gorgeous tank. I really love the fact that there is minimal filtration, and the restraint he has had to not over stock the aquarium.

I understand that you aren't hating, it is the others. If you look back you will see my questions of what and how he has done this as I intend to TRY to have something half as nice with my 20L I am building. Also while you are looking you will see I am given credit to have researching this tank back to 2004 when it was a 30G not the 40G it is today.

I have no ill feelings toward you friend, and I can only hope the same thing from you. Have a nice night.

Unread 11/16/2008, 01:09 PM   #110
Timbor
Registered Member

Hey Aquabucket,

I always enjoy the pics of your setup. I was just wondering though what your feeding regimen is like. How much do you feed your fish? Do you target feed any of your corals?

Also, do you use any sort of mechanical filtration to remove sediment or detritus?

Thanks,

Tim

Current Tank Info: None currently
Timbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2008, 01:35 PM   #111
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timbor
Hey Aquabucket,

I always enjoy the pics of your setup. I was just wondering though what your feeding regimen is like. How much do you feed your fish? Do you target feed any of your corals?

Also, do you use any sort of mechanical filtration to remove sediment or detritus?
Thanks Tim!

I feed my fish 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I feed the tank at night to keep my LPS and nassarius snails happy. I use Aquadine wafers which include spirulina, sea weeds and meaty sea foods. I crumble it up to different sizes and some of gets powdered. I don't target feed my corals as plenty of food settles on them.

The only mechanical filtration is a bag of carbon in an HOB filter.

Detritus and what not is siphoned during water changes and stirred up into the water column on a regular basis. I also use a small net regularly as a wave maker and scoop up larger chunks of debris.

Unread 11/16/2008, 09:38 PM   #112
Timbor
Registered Member

That's cool,

How much flow do you have in your tank? Do you ever have any problems with dead spots?

Tim

Current Tank Info: None currently
Timbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2008, 09:46 PM   #113
abulgin
Registered Member

Sorry I'm just picking up this thread. Your tank looks really awesome. The colors are so vibrant and everything looks really healthy. What bulb colors are you using?

abulgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2008, 12:20 AM   #114
newade
I live in mom's basement

very nice,, keeps youthinking

newade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2008, 06:59 AM   #115
CaptainCoral
Registered Member

The bulb color selection has come up twice already.

Quote:
I am running one of each: UVL superactinic, ATI blue plus, ATI aquablue special and a GE 65000K daylight.

Current Tank Info: 55[QuarantineTank],75[softie,clown/anemone], and 180 AGA reefs
CaptainCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2008, 08:59 AM   #116
spsfreak
Premium Member

Nice tank, great setup.

Sorry looks back,
Faith looks up.

Click red house for Pico build page.

Current Tank Info: 3g Pico and workin on a new 100g Acrylic setup
spsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2008, 10:01 AM   #117
dbraun15
Moved On

Awesome colors and setup--

On a side note, I went to college at UWGB from '93-98' and used to spend a ton of time(also my first tank) at Advanced Aquarium Systems--is that place still there? and where do you get you livestock, LFS wise?

Thanks,Deron

dbraun15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2008, 11:10 AM   #118
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Timbor
That's cool,

How much flow do you have in your tank? Do you ever have any problems with dead spots?

Tim
When I first set-up the tank total flow was 1440GPH or so. Now it is down to 432 GPH (incuding the HOB filter) or just a little over 10X tank volume.

I reduced the flow quite a bit before I introduced the pipefish. I gradually changed out all 4 of my powerheads to Elite Mini powerfilters over the past few months or so. Even at only 58GPH the pumps keep my tank circulating with a nice gentle flow which my corals seem to favor. I like them because they are small and compact and I can run media in all of them in case of a problem or emergency.

I have them set-up so there really are no dead spots or at least any that cause me problems. Most of my corals gently sway back and forth and expand fully during the day.

Quote:
Originally posted by dbraun15
Awesome colors and setup--

On a side note, I went to college at UWGB from '93-98' and used to spend a ton of time(also my first tank) at Advanced Aquarium Systems--is that place still there? and where do you get you livestock, LFS wise?

Thanks,Deron
Thanks Deron!

Yes its still there but their SW dept. is not so great. I got most of my corals from Animal Adventure in Ashwaubenon (now closed) and Fish Unlimited in Green Bay.

Unread 11/17/2008, 09:14 PM   #119
2_zoa
Registered Member

Oh man you keep changing it up. You make it hard to model a tank after yours.

Unread 11/17/2008, 09:34 PM   #120
Aquabucket
Premium Member

I would stick with higher flow. I have been wanting a pipefish for awhile so I adjusted my tank for it. It just so happens that the corals I have stocked do well enough with the lower flow.

Unread 11/17/2008, 10:39 PM   #121
2_zoa
Registered Member

Well I am going to still go with my original pump(about 800 GPH) cause I don't have a lot of money, hopefully it will last a while. I do plan on stocking it with softies and maybe some LPS so I think the pump should be fine for the flow.

Do you think that a 20L setup similar to yours would be able to house two skunk clownfish with a nem? Maybe a little goby or two? I only ask as I value your opinion.

I know this is off the topic and sorry for that.

Unread 11/17/2008, 10:46 PM   #122
dwd5813
Registered Member

how much do you lose to evaporation with that tank?

what can i say? in dog beers, i have only had one. - dublo8

Current Tank Info: 40B aiptasia farm
dwd5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2008, 12:14 AM   #123
GoBigOrGoHome
Registered Member

I took care of his tank for a few weeks a couple years ago, and at that point it was losing a lot.. just about a gallon a day, despite the acrylic sheet he's got over the top. Now, he's down to about 1/3 the flow of then, though, so its probably significantly less.

Current Tank Info: 15 tanks of varying sizes, 8-110 gal, 11 fresh, 4 salt
GoBigOrGoHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2008, 12:33 AM   #124
rocknreef
Moved On

That has got to be the nicest LPS and Softie tank I have ever seen HANDS DOWN.

Excellent tank

Without a skimmer and sump how do you keep the water balanced between oxygen and CO2 saturation.

By the looks of it I would say no to this question but do you have any problems with high PH?

rocknreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2008, 11:55 AM   #125
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2_zoa
Do you think that a 20L setup similar to yours would be able to house two skunk clownfish with a nem? Maybe a little goby or two? I only ask as I value your opinion.
If that's what you want to do I see no reason why not. Keep in mind that the nem can wander around and corals may be at risk.

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
how much do you lose to evaporation with that tank?
Even with the lower flow I am still losing just shy of a gallon a day. All of my powerheads are aimed for surface agitation and I run my light hood fans at night as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by GoBigOrGoHome
I took care of his tank for a few weeks a couple years ago, and at that point it was losing a lot.. just about a gallon a day, despite the acrylic sheet he's got over the top. Now, he's down to about 1/3 the flow of then, though, so its probably significantly less.
Thanks again Kyle! You did a great job taking care of my tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by rocknreef
That has got to be the nicest LPS and Softie tank I have ever seen HANDS DOWN.

Excellent tank

Without a skimmer and sump how do you keep the water balanced between oxygen and CO2 saturation.

By the looks of it I would say no to this question but do you have any problems with high PH?
Thank you kindly! I do have a surface skimmer that helps with O2 exchange. I also run my cooling fans over the tank at night. PH has never been a problem and typically hovers at 7.9-8.1. but I have not tested it in 2 years. After a year of being pretty steady I quit testing. I also open my windows everyday or so even in the winter to get fresh air in my apt.