Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2017, 07:04 PM   #1
LennyD4
Registered Member

Stand Build questions..

I just completed framework for my 40 breeder stand. Next I have to skin it which is going to be a project to say the least. The only thing I found that my fiancee agrees with are these rustic pallet boards that I will have to glue together to make one full board. I will do this for the sides and front. ThenI will cut a big opening in the front for full sump access. As for doors I have zero clue what I am doing yet.

So to my questions...as you can see my sump sits lower which I like so I am going to get some plywood and cut it perfectly to fit down into that space and seal it with something...rubber soray, latex , marine seal..idk yet. As for the top where the tank sits do I need to put plywood underneath it for extra support? I thought I read that all the weight is distributed onto the sides of the stand.

Next, does anyone have suggests for doors..? I will have extra boards so I could try and make something out of them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LennyD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 08:56 PM   #2
Deep Reef
Registered Member

You can buy them made online

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Reef
Deep Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:20 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Rather than attempt to cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the bottom, cut it to the outside dimensions and go that route.

Although there are several options for then sealing it, I have always just painted it and then caulked the seams.

As for doors - Lotsa options there as well. I would use the same type of wood you are using for the skin so that they match. An easy way might be to use a slightly oversize piece of 1/4" plywood as a base and then glue the boards to it. Trim to size, put hinges on them, and call them doors! If you want to get really fancy, you can even trim the with off the shelf moldings to make them look like raised panel doors.

Will you be painting of staining the outside? If you plan on staining, glueing all those pieces together for the skin without getting glue on the outside will be difficult.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:58 AM   #4
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Rather than attempt to cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the bottom, cut it to the outside dimensions and go that route.

Although there are several options for then sealing it, I have always just painted it and then caulked the seams.

As for doors - Lotsa options there as well. I would use the same type of wood you are using for the skin so that they match. An easy way might be to use a slightly oversize piece of 1/4" plywood as a base and then glue the boards to it. Trim to size, put hinges on them, and call them doors! If you want to get really fancy, you can even trim the with off the shelf moldings to make them look like raised panel doors.

Will you be painting of staining the outside? If you plan on staining, glueing all those pieces together for the skin without getting glue on the outside will be difficult.
Thanks for the reply. I did plan on staining until my fiancee threw a wrinkle in and said she would rather paint it as an "accent piece" so now I have to look into that. I have seen some tips and tricks to try and contain the glue but my luck it wont happen. I will definitely use the same wood for the doors. Guess I will just have to find a trim that will look good with it.

Unread 10/14/2017, 07:23 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Don't apply a top under the display tank..
Its not needed at all.

I did mine the same way and its cool to look under there and see all the worm trails,etc.. in the sand..

Unread 10/14/2017, 07:25 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I would suggest you change that outlet to a GFCI one and add a waterproof outlet box cover to it for splash protection,etc...
Just something like this..

Unread 10/14/2017, 07:35 AM   #7
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I would suggest you change that outlet to a GFCI one and add a waterproof outlet box cover to it for splash protection,etc...
Just something like this..
Oh yes I will definitely be doing that. I am an electrician by trade which is funny because its the last thing I have been thinking about with this build .

Actually have been meaning to look into finding a nice powerstrip for this aswell but again all my time and research has gone into what to do with this damn stand because I'm certainly not a carpenter LOL

Unread 10/15/2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Don't apply a top under the display tank..
Its not needed at all.

I did mine the same way and its cool to look under there and see all the worm trails,etc.. in the sand..
I was going to say this. I sit on the floor and look under the tank. It's as fascinating as a flashlight after lights out!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maggie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 02:49 PM   #9
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie321 View Post
I was going to say this. I sit on the floor and look under the tank. It's as fascinating as a flashlight after lights out!

Dont have to convince me any further ! Definitely wont be adding anything underneath. Still looking for a paint/staim for the skin...its exhausting .

Unread 10/15/2017, 02:49 PM   #10
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyD4 View Post
Oh yes I will definitely be doing that. I am an electrician by trade which is funny because its the last thing I have been thinking about with this build .

Actually have been meaning to look into finding a nice powerstrip for this aswell but again all my time and research has gone into what to do with this damn stand because I'm certainly not a carpenter LOL

Look at a DJ power strip. They have on/off switches for each plug. I've been putting off getting one but want one bad

Unread 10/15/2017, 02:53 PM   #11
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie321 View Post
Look at a DJ power strip. They have on/off switches for each plug. I've been putting off getting one but want one bad

Something like this ?

Unread 10/15/2017, 02:54 PM   #12
Maggie321
Registered Member

Yep