Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2017, 01:46 PM   #1
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Plumbing question

I picked up a tank And it has a corner overflow for the drain but it’s set up with the return line running through the center of the drain line and the drain is loud! Anyone ever had or seen a drain/return setup this way? Or have suggestions on how to quiet it down?

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 01:52 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If the drain system is only using one pipe/hole then convert it to a herbie setup with 2 holes/drains and run an over the top return..

If it already has a herbie setup then you are simply running too much flow and need to throttle it down by putting a valve on the output of the pump and closing it off..

You can just reduce the flow without converting to a herbie also but a single drain will almost never be quiet..

Unread 10/16/2017, 02:29 PM   #3
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

How would I go about converting it? I can’t drill it for a return now, it’s already setup. I wanted the guy to drill it for a return line but let him talk me out of it:/
The tank has trim around the top and is eurobraced so I’m not sure how I could mount a hang on back return line?

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 02:54 PM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

I've read about this once on this board, but never seen it.

I would remove the return from inside the drain pipe, and add a return of the back of the tank. Then use a durso style drain, and don't push too much flow through it. Add ball valve to return pump to slow down flow if needed.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 11:36 PM   #5
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy_mcfish View Post
I picked up a tank And it has a corner overflow for the drain but it’s set up with the return line running through the center of the drain line and the drain is loud! Anyone ever had or seen a drain/return setup this way? Or have suggestions on how to quiet it down?
Just like mine. I have two overflows in a 215.

I used a durso and its dead quiet.

Since you only have one you are limited to flow going to your sump, but not much is needed. I run a iwaki 55 at fill throttle in about a 9' rise from sump water level. No way am I getting 550 gph

You should be limited to about 400gph out of a 1" drain for quiet operation with a durso. key is controlling airflow for perfect noise reduction

outy is offline   Reply With Quote