Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2014, 12:53 PM   #1
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Looming threat

As I draw near a PCS (well... if my school application goes through) I feel like there is an axe looming over my reef. The day I have to tear it all down and sell the pieces off. I nkow I wouldn't be able to move it with me this time at least since I would be entering a enw career field and have no idea what kind of time I will have (likely very little).

How do you all deal with it every few years? Tips and tricks, advice, anectdotes, and stories welcome!

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 06:18 AM   #2
rgulrich
greybeard

Sell or give away all the living things.
Sell or give away all the hardware that I couldn't see keeping for the duration.

Don't consider long term housesitters.

Now that I'm a retired old guy, I tend to collect the hubris until I run out of space, and then I have to go through the same process mentioned above.

Enjoy your adventures, Mike.

Cheers,
Ray

Current Tank Info: 360 degree walk around 300 DD island–4 300W & 2 165W ViparSpectra, 4 Kessil A350W, 2 A360WE, 3 XF150, 1 XF250, 1 XF350 Gyre along with 2 PP40 and 2 IceCap 3K gyre for robust current. Basement 150 gallon RubberMaid sump, SKIMZ skimmer, DCP18000
rgulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 07:00 AM   #3
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

That's kind of what I figured. 'twill be sad since I have grown mildly attached to a couple of my critters. So it goes. It's a chance to upgrade and start a whole different style.

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
Unread 12/09/2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Knots
Registered Member

Hey, if you're stationed near Newport, RI, I'll do you a favor and take some of those critters off your hands

Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2014, 01:22 AM   #5
Titans_Reef
Registered Member

Thats what I fear. I have been on station for 4 years and because of my job, I do not have tons of options for places. When I do move I am hoping it is in a close by base since I do not want to get rid of all of my fish n corals from my 125g and my wifes 40g breeder. I will keep everything else though since there is no shame in setting everything up but this time I think im going to try and do a predator tank instead of a full blown reef in both lol.

Titans_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2014, 01:28 PM   #6
SGT_York
Registered Member

I kept my hardware and let the rocks dry out, wrapped them in foam and kept them in the garage for two years.

Now I'm off Active and in the reserves so I'm building a 180G in wall tank (so excited I've been waiting for years)

Best of luck on the school application (military school or college?)

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2014, 12:36 PM   #7
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Quote:
Best of luck on the school application (military school or college?)
Pilot training actually. Trying to cross from a different AFSC. Should be submitted today pending the two stars signature....

Quote:
Hey, if you're stationed near Newport, RI, I'll do you a favor and take some of those critters off your hands
I'll let you know whaen I am moving and you can have first dibs!

Unread 01/01/2015, 07:11 AM   #8
rgulrich
greybeard

Best of luck, Mike. My dad started out as a C-47 driver in WW II and his career spanned anything from paradrop and towing gliders to tankers and F-4's before he retired. My career was spent in the back of various RC-135's and EC-130's, although I did sit on the camera box on occasion to watch landings.

Best run was a low-go in the early 90's over the Arabian Gulf, back of a 130 wearing a harness ...the AC and I spoke about coral and reefkeeping and he gave me a first hand view of a chunk of the Gulf reefs while sitting on the rear bunk.

Fly good, man.

Ray

Current Tank Info: 360 degree walk around 300 DD island–4 300W & 2 165W ViparSpectra, 4 Kessil A350W, 2 A360WE, 3 XF150, 1 XF250, 1 XF350 Gyre along with 2 PP40 and 2 IceCap 3K gyre for robust current. Basement 150 gallon RubberMaid sump, SKIMZ skimmer, DCP18000
rgulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 05:30 AM   #9
jimlin
Registered Member

i usually get rid of all the live stuff and keep all the equipment i have since you never know how your next duty station will be. i pack all my equipment myself so that i know it wont get damaged during shipment and let the movers pack the stand and tanks. i would not set anything up unless im at a 3 year long duty station. anything less than that i would be working on the tank builds and upgrades in preparation for the next move. i own a large tank and a small tank and will set up based on the amount of available space i have at my new place and will setup fresh or saltwater based on what the local fish stores carry.

jimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 02:10 PM   #10
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgulrich View Post
Best of luck, Mike. My dad started out as a C-47 driver in WW II and his career spanned anything from paradrop and towing gliders to tankers and F-4's before he retired. My career was spent in the back of various RC-135's and EC-130's, although I did sit on the camera box on occasion to watch landings.

Best run was a low-go in the early 90's over the Arabian Gulf, back of a 130 wearing a harness ...the AC and I spoke about coral and reefkeeping and he gave me a first hand view of a chunk of the Gulf reefs while sitting on the rear bunk.

Fly good, man.

Ray
Thanks, Sounds like he had a great career, it would be thrilling to get to fly all those airframes. My favorite moments so far were hanging out the side of a C-17 doing a simulated paradrop, watching the cargo slide out the back of the same C-17, laying next to a boom operator on a KC-135 while refueling a B-2 and some F-22's, and tossing my cap in falcon stadium as the Thunderbirds flew over.

Blue Skies,
Mike

Unread 01/05/2015, 02:25 PM   #11
triksrevival
Registered Member

I just posed my experiance from PCSing, I took the stuff i liked with me in a bucket in the back of my truck. Everything lived and was almost 3000 miles. Read it

triksrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 02:47 PM   #12
dalemac
Registered Member

local LFS store and ship livestock once you get there and get the tank cycled?

that's my plan, we will see how it works when the time comes.

dalemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Mustang67
Registered Member

I was a crew chief on a KC135Q, had the chance to sit next to the boom operator and fill up an SR71 among other numerous air craft. Miss those days, made tons of friends. No face book back then. Then again probably best that we didn't.
Enjoy your time in, and safe travels. Ground and Sky!

Mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2015, 02:22 PM   #14
Psyops
Still Learning

Just don't give up your passion as a reefer. It's part of our lives. And the cycle continues.

I just bought used equipment to keep the cost down and sold it with less attachment. The critters were a whole different thing. You get attached to those suckers. Good luck.

Alex

One tank short of a trial separation.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon reef. Just starting to convert to mainly SPS.
Psyops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2015, 08:37 AM   #15
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

I am realizing that you do get attached to them despite the lack of physical contact like a dog or cat.