Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2016, 08:10 PM   #176
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Ok! Debate resolved. Lots of thinking and going back and forth. Even headed to the brewery so we could sit and chat and focus only on the UV. (Good excuse for some good beer ).

We are going to get another Vectra M1 to run the UV for the DT all of the time. We'll be mounting the UV at ground level rather than where we had it.

For QT's, that's the next purchase once we are up and running - UV for each QT. do you all run UV, all of the time? QT only?

Ich update:

Bad news. A month ago I missed something during TTM and Ich showed its ugly head yesterday. Positive is a) 40g breeder is still fallow, so no contamination there and b) thankfully 290 DT isn't cycled yet because the current fish would've been in it!

Started TTM today again. Took QT into a separate room, as last time they were in the same room as the DT with Ich, possible aerosol transfer. This time Using every absolute precaution possible, I'm pretty darn frustrated and disappointed.

(Sorry for so much purple/blue. Phone pics, can't figure out how to "dial it down")

Putting the fish under this light really made the Ich pop. Glad we caught it now.

Setup and ready!

Jeremy setup both QTs for the fish room so they have overflow to the drains. The QTs will be receiving our "waste water" from automatic water changes throughout the day. If we have something in DT we don't want in QTs, we can bypass QTs and run straight to the drain, then fill QTs with fresh SW.

This pic shows the valve to empty the QT and overflow both drilled in the bottom of each QT.

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2016, 08:12 PM   #177
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
How do you like your lifereef sump? I'm planning to buy that same model you have.

So far, we love it. Although it's only been wet for testing... . Will definitely keep you updated. I'm stoked for the lifereef skimmer we have as well. Jeff is absolutely awesome to work with!

Unread 01/28/2016, 08:14 PM   #178
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwar View Post
Very nice!

How you like the Vestra Pump?

Thanks! We have the M1 the skimmer, L1 for return pump. We are purchasing another M1 to run the UV. Just in testing - love the pump.... QUIET!! Can't even emphasize how quiet. And they're so small. We will keep you updated once it's up and running. Should be very very very soon!

Unread 01/31/2016, 08:36 PM   #179
MrsReefK
Registered Member

We have the UV mounted in the new location and the new Vectra M1 ordered to run it. It should be here Wednesday.

Fish are currently on their second transfer of TTM to battle this darn Ich.

Unread 03/22/2016, 06:38 PM   #180
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Oh gosh! You guys are WELL overdue for an update. We are fully up and running and cycling, working on Apex programming to get AWC's ready for after cycling. Jeremy made some awesome hanging mechanisms for the Radion xr30w's, pics to come!

Back in December the first round of TTM somehow got contaminated during. We did a second round and everyone has been doing great. Fish are anxiously awaiting the 290 to be ready.

We got the tunze scraper for the acrylic, makes me worried it's going to scratch the panes, seems like it would, but lots swear by it.

Will update with lots of pictures this weekend!

Unread 03/28/2016, 06:52 PM   #181
MrsReefK
Registered Member

See the eggs? Haven't seen any nudibranchs yet, but am definitely finding eggs. Dipped the main colony I found them of tonight. Will dip the remaining tomorrow, and start dipping every 3 or say days.

For now, I'm headed down with a flashlight to see if I can locate the culprit.

Unread 03/29/2016, 05:47 AM   #182
MrsReefK
Registered Member

After researching further I'm not sure those are nudibranch eggs. These were in clusters rather than spread out in lines. See the snail she'll in the middle of all of them? Never have seen that snail before, and it's under all of the eggs. Found eggs on another frag plug underside on the opposite side of the tank.

Unread 03/29/2016, 05:49 AM   #183
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

The 290 is officially cycling. Seeded all of the rock with a piece from our established tank last night. Let the cycling begin.

Having trouble getting two of our radions to connect via the reef link, more to come on that tonight. Will get pictures tonight of everything and the progress.

Unread 03/30/2016, 05:21 PM   #184
iced98lx
Registered Member

Good progress!!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2016, 08:34 PM   #185
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Good progress!!

We're finally back on track of making awesome progress. Sump room is turning out amazing. Still some final touches to be completed.

Remember those eggs I found? Wel, they seem to be snail eggs and are really ticking off my Zoas. Posted a thread in the zoa section for more insight to help ID.

Tomorrow for the tank: have two radions that aren't connecting to the reef link, conquering those!

Awhile back we bought the tunze glass cleaner. I have to admit I'm not a big fan. The non floating is not easy to work with, we were right at the max thickness for it, so wondering if it usually doesn't fall off for other folks due to thinner walls.

Ordering a "tiger" algae scrubber to see if it operates better.

Unread 03/31/2016, 07:16 PM   #186
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Pictures!! Image1459473384.747492.jpgImage1459473390.441551.jpgImage1459473397.625231.jpgImage1459473405.125963.jpgImage1459473411.276136.jpg

Unread 03/31/2016, 07:17 PM   #187
MrsReefK
Registered Member

And more pictures! Still have to clean up the wiring and get a few more things mounted. Need to put the other 40g breeder on top for ATO reservoir. Need to get a light for the fuge, and get the AWC up and going. Image1459473428.529384.jpgImage1459473439.613152.jpgImage1459473445.147340.jpgImage1459473451.614906.jpg

Unread 03/31/2016, 09:18 PM   #188
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Looks awesome. You guys should be proud.

-Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 10:07 PM   #189
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
Looks awesome. You guys should be proud.

-Ivan

Thanks Ivan!! We are very proud. When people come over we're ready to show it off every time. Comical how excited we get.

Jeremy's (husband) done an amazing job designing the room and putting the plans into actual production.

Unread 03/31/2016, 11:19 PM   #190
dave.m
Registered Member

I would be very much surprised if you should ever need a 40 gallon reservoir for your automated top-off. More likely it will be under ~10 gallons per day.

Your reservoir shouldn't be larger than your daily top-off requirement so that, should something cause your ATO stay stuck in the ON position, it will never be able to flood the system with too much fresh water.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2016, 04:45 AM   #191
MrReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
I would be very much surprised if you should ever need a 40 gallon reservoir for your automated top-off. More likely it will be under ~10 gallons per day.

Your reservoir shouldn't be larger than your daily top-off requirement so that, should something cause your ATO stay stuck in the ON position, it will never be able to flood the system with too much fresh water.

Dave.M

There will be many fail safes.

40 gallon fresh is only going to fill on Saturdays so Sunday's I can fill the lower 40 mix tank and add salt for continuous water changes for the week (5 gallons per day). Then Monday it will fill again to be used for ATO during the week. It will be programmed with the apex using float switches and solenoid connected to the RO. It will also have a back up mechanical float switch.

Then on top of all that The continuous water change and all ATO will be done with 2 different Neptune DOS pumps into the sump through mechanical floats! Can't think of any safer way!!!

Apex also has salinity monitoring and will alarm us if anything goes out of programmed tolerance.

MrReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2016, 09:43 AM   #192
dave.m
Registered Member

I hope that will work for you. Float switches are notorious for failing. Salinity probes are chancy and need constant recalibrating. A small ATO reservoir is just an extra step for security.

Dave.M

Unread 04/01/2016, 10:42 AM   #193
MrReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
I hope that will work for you. Float switches are notorious for failing. Salinity probes are chancy and need constant recalibrating. A small ATO reservoir is just an extra step for security.

Dave.M

Well other then having a float switch, to control the solenoid, which will be run off an Apex with a time default and a mechanical float if those 3 things fail there's still a floor drain! I'm confident in having a larger ATO freshwater tank. Even if I had a smaller ATO tank I would constantly have to fill it from a water source of some kind.

MrReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 04:48 PM   #194
MrsReefK
Registered Member

We are cycled and ready for CUC! We buffed the outside of the tank. It didn't turn out as planned, we will be redoing it this weekend. We did the Novus steps backwards, lol. So it's a bit cloudy now. Don't ask how we managed that one!

I need to pull some sand out of the DT. It's deeper than I want. It creates such a dust storm, I keep putting it off. Doing that this weekend as well.

Fish will be in soon. They'll be so happy to be out of the QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/10/2016, 04:59 PM   #195
MrsReefK
Registered Member

The Zoas have diminished that were being bothered by the snails/eggs. Only a few polyps left, that was a decent mini colony.

Unread 05/12/2016, 09:32 AM   #196
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Kessil grow light for the fuge! So excited. BRS shipment arrived today. It's like Christmas when these packages come!

Unread 05/16/2016, 05:53 PM   #197
MrsReefK
Registered Member

We put in the In line TDS meter that checks the TDS in 3 different stages. Our starting TDS is 680!! Looks like we are getting two more stages for the RO unit plus a water saver.

Unread 05/16/2016, 07:17 PM   #198
Learn It
Registered Member

Looks like the cat is really helping with the progress there haha I recently had nudibrachs and the eggs were found in a spiral along the underside of the zoa. Best viewed @ night under a flashlight.

Unread 05/17/2016, 06:49 PM   #199
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Fish will finally be hitting the DT this weekend. We had a bit of a set back, originally put in too much sand for my taste. We didn't rinse the sand because it was live sand, we thought that was best (against everyone's suggestion to rinse it) and we are paying the price, still. I believe I finally have the sand to how much I want in there, so no more dust storms!

To remove the sand we made a siphon with some 1" hose and slowly but surely removed a bunch.

Even with the filter socks, it would take 2-3 days to clear up. Nervous for what something like a sand sifting goby is going to do with dust storms. We shall see! It's got to lighten up over time, I hope.

Kessil grow light is on the fuge. Should I run this opposite of day lights to help balance PH swings?

Kalk stirrer is in, waiting to go live. We currently are only running the skimmer.

Next we will get GFO reactor ready, carbon, calc reactor and Kalk stirrer. All of that will come with time, were in no rush to hook it up until the system needs. We have all reactors and stirrers, so we're ready to put them in whenever the milestones call for it.

Speaking of milestones, when would you kick on GFO and carbon? What signs or do you run them form the beginning?

We don't plan on putting the calc reactor or Kalk stirrer inline until corals begin consuming calc, that one is more obvious to me.

Last edited by MrsReefK; 05/17/2016 at 06:55 PM.
Unread 05/17/2016, 06:58 PM   #200
dave.m
Registered Member

Your continual weekly water testing should tell you when you need to add your filters. Yes, I would start your refugium on a reverse photo-period from the start.

Dave.M