Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 09:43 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Moving from Classic to .... er, Non-classic ...

What is the new one called anyhow .... just apex?

Well, that's not my question .... for folks that have done the switch, any best practices to share?

I understand that there is still no way to easily copy programming to the new unit, you basically have to start from scratch. Is it possible to have both the old and new units running at the same time and move stuff over module by module, energy bar by energy bar. Presumably the two units will have different IP addresses so will be independently addressable with the local dashboards?

Any other watch outs?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 10:08 PM   #2
elFloyd
Registered Member

Just did the change. Wasn’t as daunting as I thought even though I had 3 EB8s, VMX, and two FFMs.

Use the Quick Start Guide and set up the new Apex ‘brain’. Set up for WiFi or Ethernet. Calibrate your probes.

You can have both running at the same time. I opened two fusion windows and had them side by side. First I copied Profiles from old to new. Cut and paste works fine. Then I copied over the Outlets... EB8 to EB832. Then I unplugged from old and moved to new. I repeated to the second EB8/EB832. I retained the third EB8 and just moved it to the new system.

I’m still working out some issues. My LEDs are controlled from the variable ports and Profiles. Works like planned, but Fusion shows ‘TBL’. I may just need to remove the configuration and reinstall.

All in all it was smoother than I expected.

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:16 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

That's very helpful, thanks.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 11/25/2017, 06:41 AM   #4
mal7887
Registered Member

I did this just this week. I ran both at the same time. I wanted to duplicate the same setup I had before with classic. I have 3EBS auto water change, etc. Easiest way I found is follow get stated guide as suggested then setup inputs with same names as classic. I named everything the same as classic one module at a time I also added all the virtual outlets I use. Then after everything had proper name I went back and copied all the programming to each outlet.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 09:29 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Took advantage of the 10% off sales this weekend and pulled the trigger on the new apex. Last module I added to my classic was #27. I cannot come up with that many though perhaps some #s no longer used. Either way I like the idea of running them concurrently and moving stuff over gradually.

Unread 12/22/2017, 12:01 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Slowly chugging through the changeover. Taking a tad more than 15 minutes ..... More like 15 days. Much of it self inflicted though, like all those profiles I created, don't use anymore and neglected to delete. Also way too many virtual outlets ...... what do they all do again?

Unread 12/22/2017, 04:05 AM   #7
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Simon, I feel your pain! But to a lesser degree. I'm move'n on up, but the new APEX 2016 will be on my new 120 build that I'm replacing my current 80 with.
I'll do the upgrade while the fish and corals are in the tub during the 120 set up.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 02:56 AM   #8
clittrell
Registered Member

I switched over the last month. Black Friday was great. Wire cleanup took the most time but yes if you run them side by side it really helps.

clittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 11:49 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yippers, this is proving most tedious. Got through most of it then the WXM happened. Worked fine on the old lite but now half of my pumps are 'missing'.

Edit, got it down to just one missing.

Last edited by ca1ore; 12/31/2017 at 12:00 AM.