Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2013, 06:22 PM   #51
kagetaro99
Registered Member

Im looking to switch over my lights to LEDs and was wondering if it would be better to go with the 2 value fixtures or the 32" controllable fixture for my 75gal with a center brace. Any input you guys could give would be helpful. Im looking to be able to keep everything (LPS, SPS, Clams)

kagetaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 06:30 PM   #52
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetaro99 View Post
Im looking to switch over my lights to LEDs and was wondering if it would be better to go with the 2 value fixtures or the 32" controllable fixture for my 75gal with a center brace. Any input you guys could give would be helpful. Im looking to be able to keep everything (LPS, SPS, Clams)
I've seen the 32" IT unit at bhazard's home...for the difference, I wouldn't even consider the non-controller units!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 09:42 PM   #53
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
I've seen the 32" IT unit at bhazard's home...for the difference, I wouldn't even consider the non-controller units!
There's always room for improvements. Trying 430nm violets and 405nm violets mixed in with the standard 420s from a vendor I cant name because he was banned here.

Trying to get evergrow to make a 6 channel fixture. Reefbreeders is working on a 9 channel one with wireless control that sounds intriguing as well.

bhazard451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 12:56 PM   #54
Indusrty
Registered Member

2 it2080s or 3 dt120s and an apex jr. For a 125g standard tank?

Indusrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 04:08 PM   #55
Thanksgramps
Registered Member

How do folks calculate the right height from water and proper optics for spread/depth. Is there an agreed to formula?

Thanksgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 05:00 PM   #56
BigRedNole
Registered Member

I am not sure about measurements. My tank is new with a single IT2040 from ReefBreeders. I just put the first corals in on Saturday. They open up and like it on the bottom. My lights are ~10" above the water. I am working on the custom programming as well for the light cycle.

If anyone has a good light cycle, please post.

BigRedNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2013, 06:29 PM   #57
kagetaro99
Registered Member

What optics should I use on the 32" unit over a 75gal tank? And how far off the water do you thing I should have it?

kagetaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 03:29 AM   #58
BigRedNole
Registered Member

Quote:
What optics should I use on the 32" unit over a 75gal tank? And how far off the water do you thing I should have it?
That depends on the depth and length of the tank. I will assume you have a 4' wide tank. If you center it, that leaves 8" on each end of the light. Even though this light is bright, that is a lot of distance and depth to cover. I would say 120* on at least the outside edges. It is difficult to tell how far off the top of the tank. This light is BRIGHT. I don't see a need to run them over 50% of power. The higher you raise the, the more power you may need to add.

Beyond that, I cannot offer more detail. I am hoping to build the arduino PAR meter to see what the readings are on this light.

Unread 01/31/2013, 09:06 AM   #59
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedNole View Post
I am not sure about measurements. My tank is new with a single IT2040 from ReefBreeders. I just put the first corals in on Saturday. They open up and like it on the bottom. My lights are ~10" above the water. I am working on the custom programming as well for the light cycle.

If anyone has a good light cycle, please post.
I usually keep the blues 10-20% higher than the whites for most of the cycle. I go down about 5-10% every 30 minutes, and run at 100% for 2 hours.

Unread 01/31/2013, 12:29 PM   #60
BigRedNole
Registered Member

bhazard, Thanks. I am tweaking my light setting, but I have not taken them over 60% since anything went into the tank. Right now, I have the blues about 10-15% points higher than the whites. I do want to get/make that Arduino PAR meter get readings on my tank. It will help for the light cycle.

Unread 01/31/2013, 07:25 PM   #61
jschultzbass
Registered Member

bhazard, do you like the Maxspect razors or the 16" controllable fixture better?

Unread 01/31/2013, 07:39 PM   #62
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschultzbass View Post
bhazard, do you like the Maxspect razors or the 16" controllable fixture better?
Depends on what you are looking for.

If you won't ever feel the need to swap leds with a soldering iron, the Razor is great. I wished the Razor had some red leds, and when I realized I couldn't make any changes, I knew the IT2080 was right for me.

Unread 02/01/2013, 08:42 AM   #63
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

What kind of corals are you keeping and/or planning to keep? Have you opened any these fixtures and see the manufacturing quality (soldering job, cables used, fans used if any, etc)?
I'm hoping that they perform good for all kind of corals including SPS, and when I say that I just don't mean to keep them alive but to bring out true colors. They could not only be a great alternative but also drive down the prices of other fixtures.

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 08:56 AM   #64
davidadelp
Registered Member

im thinking about buying two of the 16" value fixtures to go over my 65g 36" tank with a middle brace. Any thoughts on this idea? would it be better to go with the 1 32" controllable fixture? im keeping Zoas mainly and softies and plan to get a clam or two eventually.

davidadelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 09:21 AM   #65
chopper320
Registered Member

I have one of the reefbreeders value fixtures over my 44 gallon pentagon and I really like it. It has manual dimmers but I do have the blues setup on a separate timer so that I can have an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening of only blues.

One question though. I bought it without optics, would it be difficult for me to add optics down the road?

chopper320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 09:59 AM   #66
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
What kind of corals are you keeping and/or planning to keep? Have you opened any these fixtures and see the manufacturing quality (soldering job, cables used, fans used if any, etc)?
I'm hoping that they perform good for all kind of corals including SPS, and when I say that I just don't mean to keep them alive but to bring out true colors. They could not only be a great alternative but also drive down the prices of other fixtures.
I have a mixed tank. SPS on top, lps and softies down low. All are doing well, but if you do not acclimate with a lower light cycle, you can bleach SPS quite easily. I bleached 2 frags already by forgetting to do that.

I've opened up and taken pics of all the internals on these. They are solid, and built well. You might have to search the old thread for them, but here is one of the 16"

Neatly wired with quick connects. Drivers are labeled. Finned heatsink. Optics twist on and off easily. Never had a problem with any of them.

Unread 02/01/2013, 10:08 AM   #67
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

Thanks for the pics. If AI doesn't come out soon with custom/new pucks for the Sol to include other colors (it has been suggested and they said they are looking into that) I might give a try to one of these fixtures.

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 10:22 AM   #68
frog.pauley
Registered Member

The more I read the more I want the RB fixtures! Building new tank 72" 150 w/ 2 braces. Will three of the values work for a litle of everything. Complete mix. Would it be better to have 3 of the 16" contollable? I really want to beat te heat of halides...My 75 would hit close to 90 in the summer with 2 150w halides. NO ac is a killer!

frog.pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 12:10 PM   #69
BlueFyre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidadelp View Post
im thinking about buying two of the 16" value fixtures to go over my 65g 36" tank with a middle brace. Any thoughts on this idea? would it be better to go with the 1 32" controllable fixture? im keeping Zoas mainly and softies and plan to get a clam or two eventually.

I have a 24" controllable reef breeders fixture over my 65 gallon. I've been really happy with it. I keep mostly softies and LPS with a few SPS. All have been doing very well.
I haven't found the best camera settings to get the true color. But it shows the coverage.

BlueFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 02:49 PM   #70
Kaptain
Registered Member

Getting back into the hobby after about four years. Previous setup was 220 reef - all HQI lighting. Looking at starting back into the hobby with a 60 cube (24x24x22high). Plan on softies and lps, like my previous tank. From reading, it sounds like the 16" controllable fixture from ReefBreeders would fit the bill nicely. What do you think?

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 03:05 PM   #71
BigRedNole
Registered Member

I think the IT2040 would be fine. The edges may be a little low light at the bottom. You can fix that maybe with a few 120* optics. It also depends on how close to the water you want it. It is a bright light and I think 1 is enough.

Unread 02/01/2013, 03:41 PM   #72
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Either setup would work well on your tank, if you need more than 100 par in the bottom corners, then 2 16" fixtures would be the better choice. We have a custom optics layout for 4' tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indusrty View Post
2 it2080s or 3 dt120s and an apex jr. For a 125g standard tank?
Either one will work, personally I would go with 2 IT2080s with 90 degree optics. You would get 33% more power, and use 2 power cords instead of 6, with the ability to control your lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanksgramps View Post
How do folks calculate the right height from water and proper optics for spread/depth. Is there an agreed to formula?
For tanks under 24" deep, 120 degree. 24"-30" deep, 90 degree 36"-40" deep, 60 degree. Some of these specs overlap.

Quote:
We have a custom optics layout that will be standard on all fixtures starting 2/21/13. You can mount it as low as 6" over the water, 8-10" is suggested. The center brace has no effect, check out this photo album:
http://s1131.beta.photobucket.com/us...able%20Fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidadelp View Post
with mostly softies, you would be better off saving your money and going with one of the 24" fixtures. It will provide plenty of coverage, and you would be able to put a clam in the middle no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper320 View Post
I have one of the reefbreeders value fixtures over my 44 gallon pentagon and I really like it. It has manual dimmers but I do have the blues setup on a separate timer so that I can have an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening of only blues.

One question though. I bought it without optics, would it be difficult for me to add optics down the road?
It is very easy to replace them, we can send out optics for additional cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog.pauley View Post
The more I read the more I want the RB fixtures! Building new tank 72" 150 w/ 2 braces. Will three of the values work for a litle of everything. Complete mix. Would it be better to have 3 of the 16" contollable? I really want to beat te heat of halides...My 75 would hit close to 90 in the summer with 2 150w halides. NO ac is a killer!
Either three values, 3 16" controllable, or 2 32" fixtures would work. I would use 2 32" controllable fixtures with 90 degree optics, that way you could grow sps to the sand bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain View Post
Getting back into the hobby after about four years. Previous setup was 220 reef - all HQI lighting. Looking at starting back into the hobby with a 60 cube (24x24x22high). Plan on softies and lps, like my previous tank. From reading, it sounds like the 16" controllable fixture from ReefBreeders would fit the bill nicely. What do you think?
the 16" fixture should do very well over that tank. I would use 90 degree optics, maybe 120s if you want to be closer than 6-8" from the water.

Hope I got everyone!

Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 07:24 PM   #73
Dbondaruk
Registered Member

I bought a it 2040 with 90 degree optics. If I take them off would that make them 120 degree? Or do you sell I 120 degree optic. It's over my 40 g breeder mixed reef about 10 inches from water.im running at 45 Chanel 1 and 40 channel 2 at peak hours... My corals don't look that happy.

Dbondaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 07:35 PM   #74
Dbondaruk
Registered Member

Water levels are stable 8 dkh. .5 nitrate 0 phosphate and calcium 460

Dbondaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 07:38 PM   #75
grandp10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
I usually keep the blues 10-20% higher than the whites for most of the cycle. I go down about 5-10% every 30 minutes, and run at 100% for 2 hours.
So for 2 hrs. of the day you run both channels at 100%, or do you mean the blues at 100% and the whites the usual 10-20% lower than 100%?

grandp10 is offline   Reply With Quote