Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Seigmeyer
Registered Member

20^2 by Seigmeyer

Hello ReefCentral. This will be my 3rd salt water tank in 15 years, but my largest to date. First tank was 20g and ran for about 10 years and my current tank is roughly 7g at almost 3 years.

New tank is a 20" cube (approx. 35g) with bottom drilled corner overflow.

Eshopps RS-75 sump
Eheim Compact+ 2000
Par38 w/ DIY mount

The light mount is finished and simply needs to be attached to the new stand. The PAR38 should be sufficient for now. The bulb is a few years old now, and will be updated by the end of the year. What it will be updated to will be subject to the budget at that time, but I do favor an AI unit with an APEX controller.

The tank manufacturer provided bulkheads, but they are barbed going out. I will be replacing both with double slip bulkheads. The barbed fitting significantly reduces the diameter of the drain pipe, and the return bulkhead is poorly made as it appears overly thin on one side as if melted. Anyways, will hopefully have the new bulkheads tonight and will finish the plumbing and get the tank cycling.

Any skimmer recommendations are appreciated. I was leaning toward one of the Octopus modules but given the cost of a skimmer it is not a choice I want to make twice.

No refugium planned given stand limitations and personal bias. May add a chaeta holder and light into the sump at a later date. I have a plan for a a hanging holder that would sit into the sump in addition to a small LED fixture I already have sitting around.

Picture included shows the new an old tanks as they are currently next to each other. The 12x12 was all natural filtration for almost 3 years. After 1 1/2 years of being in the tank and fed, my emerald crab randomly turned on me and killed all the snails. Typical. Even when fed it seems all crabs turn eventually. Finally got him out, but not in time to save the tank from a major algae outbreak and a loss of a large softball size birds nest. Duncan is still retracted a bit, but the trumpet coral is thriving. Zaonthids are doing well but spreading away from pockets of algae growth being manually removed.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the new build and once again having things such as a protein skimmer and media reactors to aid regular water changes. Plus the extra capacity will allow for a larger more diverse CUC.

That is about it for now. Looking forward to any recommendations the members have form me along the way.

Just for fun. Here is a shot of the wonderful birds nest coral before its untimely passing. Can you spot the inevitable disaster?

Seigmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 01:54 AM   #2
cymen
Registered Member

I didn't see it right away but then something green was looking right back at me. That is a shame to lose that coral but I'm looking forward to following your build (I've been debating between a 20G high and a 25 or 27G cube).

cymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 08:23 AM   #3
Seigmeyer
Registered Member

The green birds nest was a common SPS but the center piece of that tiny tank. It was however starting to bleach, but that can be corrected with time.

The picture was taken with a cell phone, and makes it look really bleached out. For perspective, this emerald crab was on the darker side of green. I like this capture as the cell phone pic, in its automatic adjustments, made an interesting contrast between the coral and crab while still catching some polyp detail. I have recently gotten my hands on an SLR and looking at macro lenses. Should be an interesting skill to learn to enhance the hobby.

I'll post new tank project updates shortly as it is now plumbed and cycling.

Unread 01/20/2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Seigmeyer
Registered Member

Birthday time.

The cube is plumbed, tested, and running.

Mixed to 1.025 in tank. Poorly rinsed sand which in turn caused a two day white out. That is now over. Added some dry rock scape, and a small island of live rock from my 8g as an initial seed.

Ammonia is going nowhere, so I may have to turn to drastic measures to get this cycle moving. Meaning, a piece of raw shrimp for a time. I will be that guy at the seafood counter asking for one shrimp.
I am getting some algae growth, but that is expected given the small piece of live rock and a lot of dry rock. I don't want to test the phosphates yet and you can't make me.

I want to get the cycle a few weeks in before moving over more rock form the old tank. 1. only a few pieces have coral frags that can easily be removed. 2. Leslie the mocha clown is still in the small tank and I don't want the bio-load to deplete and cause an ammonia spike.

Sump is running decently quiet. Going to make the air hole on the durso drain a little larger as there is some minimum flushing every so often. Extra line on return is currently closed, but plan to use that line for a media reactor as needed.

Here are some intro shots. Enjoy...or not...