Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/03/2015, 11:52 PM   #1
xdestry
SPS Addict

Help choosing a generator

Hey guys so recently I've been looking for a generator to power the tank in case of a power outage. The more I have been reading though the less I am sure any of the generators on amazon are actually able to safely run some of the equipment on a reef tank. Does anybody know much about harmonic distortion and "true sine waves"? Apparently most of the energy the generators make are not able to run more sensitive electronic equipment like the apex and pumps without possibly damaging them. Trying to find a generator that has the inverter technology that is also california air resource board (carb) certified and under around 500 bucks seems to be impossible. Are there just not any generators that are able to produce that kind of clean energy that cheap?

If not do you guys know whether a return pump/vortechs/skimmer would be fine with that kind of energy? I was thinking of running everything on the tank but I guess just those would be able to keep a tank from crashing for a few days or so.

Another thing I read is plugging sensitive equipment through an Uninterruptible power supply(UPS). Has anybody tried going that route?

I saw the honda eu2000i that seems to fit all of the requirements but that one is a grand and not something I can afford haha. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Current Tank Info: 100 Gallon + 40G Sump, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8x39 (B+,C+,B+.Act.B+.P+.Gieseman Super Act, B+), 2x MP40QD, Aquamaxx Q2 + ConeS CO1 Skimmers
xdestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 12:10 AM   #2
pandimus
Registered Member

I think you're over thinking it. if your buying a generator for more than emergency tank sustainability than your a better man then me. You want to be able to sustain life in tank for a few days. I/e circulation and heat.if it goes much more than a few days you're probably going to be more worried about your sustainability...:/

I found a good deal on a 8000 watt generator. It runs my return, heater, refrigerator, freezer, and my water heater(electric ignition). I wad able to test it out for a days use and everything lived...much longer than that and I suspect we have bigger problems than our fish thanks..

Just my two cents

Oh.I should help you choose one..Costco has a nice one,I believe six k. It runs on lp gas, natural gas, and petrol. Electric start.It will meet your needs I believe...

http://m.costco.com/Champion-7000W-R...100220385.html

4x AI Sol Blues/Director + 2 80w T5 retrofit/Apex Controller

Current Tank Info: 125 gal 72X18X22
pandimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 12:25 AM   #3
xdestry
SPS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandimus View Post
I think you're over thinking it. if your buying a generator for more than emergency tank sustainability than your a better man then me. You want to be able to sustain life in tank for a few days. I/e circulation and heat.if it goes much more than a few days you're probably going to be more worried about your sustainability...:/

I found a good deal on a 8000 watt generator. It runs my return, heater, refrigerator, freezer, and my water heater(electric ignition). I wad able to test it out for a days use and everything lived...much longer than that and I suspect we have bigger problems than our fish thanks..

Just my two cents

Oh.I should help you choose one..Costco has a nice one,I believe six k. It runs on lp gas, natural gas, and petrol. Electric start.It will meet your needs I believe...

http://m.costco.com/Champion-7000W-R...100220385.html
Who cares about my sustainability! As long as my tank is fine I'll be okay But seriously I am more worried because I live in the mountains(kinda) in Pasadena, the last time we had the strong winds here a few years ago and all the trees were knocked down my neighborhood was out of power for 7 days while just down the street everything was fine.

But thanks for the recommendation that one sounds good. It says

Pure Sine Wave Alternator: Less than 5% THD (total harmonic distortion), safe for powering sensitive electronics

That's what I was worried about and most of the ones on amazon did not say that.

Current Tank Info: 100 Gallon + 40G Sump, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8x39 (B+,C+,B+.Act.B+.P+.Gieseman Super Act, B+), 2x MP40QD, Aquamaxx Q2 + ConeS CO1 Skimmers
xdestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 12:37 AM   #4
pandimus
Registered Member

No problem.if you don't have a Costco card bring up some cash and I'll take you there.You can also check out riks tank while your up

4x AI Sol Blues/Director + 2 80w T5 retrofit/Apex Controller

Current Tank Info: 125 gal 72X18X22
pandimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 12:59 AM   #5
johnnytmc
Registered Member

To power sensitive electronic equipment, you need to use digital inverter generator. I don't think it's really necessary to own one, since power outage is not very often, and you can readily rent a digital inverter generator from HD. Couple weeks ago, we had a 7-hour power outage in my area. I just went to HD to rent out a generator. HD stocks Honda eu2000i. It's about $60 per day, and it included full tank of gas which lasted me for the full duration of the power outage. I used it to power all my equipment without problem: Apex, pumps, heaters.

johnnytmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 01:08 AM   #6
johnnytmc
Registered Member

If you are looking to buy one anyways, HD sells a 1000w digital inverter generator for less than 500.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-100...1000/205536859

There is another model rated for 2200w for a bit more, but I think for most tanks 1000w should be sufficient to power the essential equipments.

johnnytmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 01:31 AM   #7
KWoo008
Registered Member

I hear the Honda EU series are well-designed with what you have in mind. It's also what johnnytmc mentioned that he rented from Home Depot. I've used one to power DJ equipment at a park and it worked great and relatively quiet for a generator. Only problem is cost. http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...iet-generators That said, the Ryobi seems like a good option from a $$ perspective.

Unread 07/04/2015, 08:55 AM   #8
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Look on Craigslist for a Honda. Only generator I would trust. Look for the Honda EU2000ia. You can find them used for around $700

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 09:56 AM   #9
m0nkie
Registered Member

My parents own a honda generator and it works great. Been using it for 3-4 years. We have rolling black out every summer.

Now im waiting for the Tesla house battery.

Unread 07/04/2015, 03:48 PM   #10
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Take a look at the Champion Generators. I have this one
http://www.championpowerequipment.co...erters/73536i/
It's on sale at cabela's right now for $550. If you're patient, their sales vary and you can find if for $500. So far, I'm very happy with it, I start it every other month and usually only takes 1 pull, sometimes 2. If I had the money, I would definitely would have bought a Honda.

Another good thing about Champion Power is that they're based out of Santa Fe and have 24 hour support

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 08:06 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
Look on Craigslist for a Honda. Only generator I would trust. Look for the Honda EU2000ia. You can find them used for around $700
+1!! Honda Eu series are the best gernators you can get in their size. You can't kill them. They will run forever. I got my EU1000 on craigslist for around $500. We had a 13 power outage not long ago and my Honda fired right up despite having not been run in 3 or more years. As you mentioned, EU2000's can be had for around $700 and are by far the best generator you can get in their class and they are also Sinewave.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 11:48 PM   #12
savethereef
SCRK

Just saw the champion at Costco. 9000w it runs on gas and propane at 8000w. Had RV plug in and other stuff for $649 till tomorrow. I wonder how loud it goes. Gotta love costco and there return policy

Rob aka STR

SCRK & SCMAS MEMBER

Current Tank Info: Leemar 450g 96L x36W x 30T 3/4 inch Starfire With 70g Sump Vertex 250 Royal Exclusive protein Skimmer Laguna 2900 Return pump 5 Aquaillumination Hydra's LED Modules. 4 Tunze Stream Bubble Magus Doser. Reef Keeper Elite
savethereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 02:08 AM   #13
dotcommer
Registered Member

There's a big difference in watts from the Costco Champion 9000 watt model, compared to the Honda eu1000 which is smaller and 1000 watts. Both seem to run sensitive electronics as well, and they are around the same price, but big difference in wattage 9000 vs 1,000.

Just curious why such a big difference in wattage, but around the same price?

Whats the best way to set it up, to automatically turn on when there is a power outage. I have 4 different 20 amp circuits powering all of my equipment.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 12:36 PM   #14
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethereef View Post
just saw the champion at costco. 9000w it runs on gas and propane at 8000w. Had rv plug in and other stuff for $649 till tomorrow. I wonder how loud it goes. Gotta love costco and there return policy
loud!

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 12:41 PM   #15
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
There's a big difference in watts from the Costco Champion 9000 watt model, compared to the Honda eu1000 which is smaller and 1000 watts. Both seem to run sensitive electronics as well, and they are around the same price, but big difference in wattage 9000 vs 1,000.

Just curious why such a big difference in wattage, but around the same price?

Whats the best way to set it up, to automatically turn on when there is a power outage. I have 4 different 20 amp circuits powering all of my equipment.
One of the main differences is the Honda motor. The Hondas are the best motors money can buy. They are very quiet and very efficient. That said, for the price of the Champion, it would be hard to pass up although it does suck some fuel.

As for how to make it automatically power up after a power outage.. That could be a tough one. You would need some sort of electronics to do that. While the champion does have electric start, it is a push button setup. I did some cursory searches for an Auto Start add on device that starts the generator when AC voltage is lost but I'm not finding anything off the shelf.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 02:12 PM   #16
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I have the champion, and it has power. But it is really loud. My neighbors are not happy when the power outage is at night. The Honda is much quieter, you can use your Honda in your yard, and still use your yard. The Champion it's pretty difficult to talk to someone within 30' of it.

But it was loads of power and it has run my electronics and my tank during power outages. It is also pretty efficient on gas. 2.5g lasts 8-10 hours.

I have the older champion. The newer one which has variable fuel options is nice. Because it's easy to get a stack of propane tanks and store them long term. I have 2 of the new champions at work, but we haven't tested them as to how long they run on a Propane tank.

The ideal way to set up a Generator with an auto-switch over, is to install a switchover box. It's a circuit breaker box that you move your key circuits you need to power in your house to, and then that box plugs into your generator with a RV type power cable.

In the even of a power outage, you plug in the cord, start the generator, and flip the switch on the switch over box.

To do this automatically you want to look at the Generac units and panels. The Generac can be run off your gas line at the house. And it autostarts and does the switch over.

Spending a few minutes thinking about what you need in an emergency and picking the right circuits to hook up will make life lot easier, whether Emergency or just a power outage.

For my backup usage my house has only a couple of tank circuits - Circulation pump, and 220v heater. I have my fridge, my microwave, my office circuits that run the internet access for the house, my entertainment system - so I get Directv (and CNN) in case of a crisis.

If there is a real emergency you want to be able to sustain life in your system, worrying about Apex, and lighting, and your ancillary stuff is not necessary. With the lights off the tank can survive several days just fine in darkness. Think about the trip your corals made when they originally came to the US. A few days without their 10 stage lunar eclipse ramp up ramp down cloudy lighting schedule is not going to be a big deal, if the there is a disaster.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 11:54 PM   #17
dotcommer
Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed response.
I live in Arizona and I have been fortunate ( I am knocking on wood) so far, but do not want to press my luck especially with the monsoon season fastly approaching.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote