Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2010, 09:34 PM   #1
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

FO w/BioBalls & Skimmer

My tank has been down for awhile, and I'm getting back into the hobby. I have an existing Wet/Dry filter that I'm planning on using again. I'm upgrading my Protein Skimmer since my previous one was on it's last legs anyways. Like all of the Wet/Dry filters I've seen in the past, the water hits a drip tray first (with mechanical filter), then the bio-balls, then a submerged mechanical filter, then the open area that can hold a Skimmer. However, I've also read that the water should hit the Skimmer before any other filtration. Is there a better way to use a Wet/Dry filter in conjunction with a Skimmer? Any advice would be appreciated.

HarlequinTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2010, 07:47 AM   #2
viggen
Registered Member

Yea, most state getting dirty water directly off the overflow is the best.

I plumed my tank (working on it now) so the skimmer gets water directly from the overflow. I plummed a 1in line from the overflow to where my skimmer will be with a ball valve to adjust the flow.

That is best but putting the skimmer after the bioballs still works

viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2010, 08:48 AM   #3
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

I had never thought about this before, but I can think of another potentially good reason why you might want to have the skimmer before the bio-balls. Wet/Dry filters are designed to use as much oxygen as possible...while still staying wet. I would think this is the one time you might actually desire those microbubbles that are a common byproduct of Skimmers. You won't want them going back into the tank, but if you're going to produce them in the sump, might as well take advantage of them. Am I off base here???

HarlequinTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2010, 09:41 AM   #4
bsagecko
Registered Member

Bioballs are used for denitrification....end product being nitrates....if you are already plan using a skimmer why not also spend like an extra $100 and get some live rock rubble that way your end product is Nitrogen gas rather than nitrates which eventually have to be removed via water change? just a thought but your bioballs + skimmer will work I just feel IMO the liverock rubble will work better in the long run

Obey little, Resist much

Current Tank Info: 24g AIO
bsagecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Cody Ray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsagecko View Post
Bioballs are used for denitrification....end product being nitrates....if you are already plan using a skimmer why not also spend like an extra $100 and get some live rock rubble that way your end product is Nitrogen gas rather than nitrates which eventually have to be removed via water change? just a thought but your bioballs + skimmer will work I just feel IMO the liverock rubble will work better in the long run
Just an fyi denitrification produces nitrogen while nitrification creates nitrates.

Current Tank Info: Mr. Aqua 7.5g bowfront
Cody Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2010, 03:33 PM   #6
saltyguy51
Registered Member

Have'nt see too many skim before filtration including myself but would have benifits

saltyguy51 is offline   Reply With Quote