Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2018, 07:20 PM   #176
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC/NJREEFS View Post
I ran my DC-6000 for over a year and the half w/o cleaning it once. They are quiet, and cool running. Unfortunately, the controller went bad on mine recently. One thing I didn’t like was the spark it would do when plugging in the pump plug to the controller.
Cutting power to the controller solves this issue.

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:01 PM   #177
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC/NJREEFS View Post
I ran my DC-6000 for over a year and the half w/o cleaning it once. They are quiet, and cool running. Unfortunately, the controller went bad on mine recently. One thing I didn’t like was the spark it would do when plugging in the pump plug to the controller.
the spark is caused by charging of the two huge capacitors inside the controller. it is harmless and will not affect/damage the pump or controller. if you are not comfortable seeing the sparks, you can unplug from ac outlet, plug in the dc jack, then plug in to AC outlet.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 02:37 PM   #178
AddictReef
Registered Member

Ran a DC 6000 for 3 years. Took it offline working great.
Upgraded to the DCS 12000 that has been running for 2 years. I clean them once a year.

Pretty satisfied so far.

AddictReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 12:05 AM   #179
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I ran a DCT 12000 om my 300g reef tank for almost 2 years until we broke down the tank. I loved that pump and never had a single issue with it (other than the red scooter blenny that got turned into sushi by it, I still have no idea how he got in there). I am now in the process of setting up a 40B and just ordered one of the DCP pumps, hopefully it is as good as the previous model.

Unread 05/17/2018, 08:01 AM   #180
asmodyus
Registered Member

I just picked up a used Jebao DCP-18000 for my new 180 and was going to mount it outside but I was told not to and run externally and run it internal because Jebao are known to leak. Any input this claim?

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon w/ 40 Gallon Refugium, 8 T5 Retro
asmodyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 09:26 PM   #181
Yaryman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaryman View Post
Pump Update - Still running at 15 days.
Did replace a Mag 7 with DCT-4000 that was running as return pump. I'm running that pump at 40% ( 18 watts ) That's 21 watts less than Mag 7.
The tank does now run cooler without the 2 Mag pumps. The house temps have increased, yet the tank hasn't.
I am running a 175 watt heater that before the switch to DCT pumps wouldn't be required in March.

No two ways about it, the DCT pumps run cooler in the tank. All in all that's a good thing. Yes, I will have to heat the tank during the coldest months.
But, having the tank run MAYBE two degrees cooler in the summer is a great trade off. The tank is in the hottest room in the house, and I'm also in that room. I like cooler.

Second, with a cooler running tank, I don't have to worry so much about the tank overheating if I go away for a week in the July heat.
Leaving the house AC at a higher temp more than makes up for running a 175 watt heater in the winter. The AC runs at about 5000 watts.

Only downside so far. Not that the Mag pumps were loud, but the DCT pumps are very quiet. So quiet I can hear how gosh darn loud my protein skimmer is.
If one of skimmer pump fails again, I will replace the skimmer. I've seen several models using the DCT-DCS pumps, and am likely to go in that direction.
Two year update. Just pulled my DCT 4000 for cleaning after two years running 24/7 as return pump at full power. Had already pulled my other DCT 4000 which was
running at 40% 24/7 for two years and used it a replacement for model running at 100%.

Yaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2020, 06:40 PM   #182
spsfreak1977
Registered Member

One year going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spsfreak1977 is offline   Reply With Quote