Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2017, 07:44 PM   #51
yifan917
Registered Member

I have a SPS frag tank in the works, size is 72" x 30". Will three LX7 have a full coverage over a tank that size? Also, should I place them parallel or perpendicular to the front panel? Thank you.

yifan917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 07:16 AM   #52
mellotang
Premium Member

I don't have experience with the LX7 yet but have extensive experience with the 6200, same layout different technology.

The reason I was even ok venturing into the LED world was due to the fact the Mitras had multiple pucks spread across the whole fixture and the innovative reflector the GHL design uses. I use the 6200 on a 24x24 footprint and it gives me the ability to grow SPS almost anywhere, the light is 11" above the water and centered perfectly on the aquarium.

Spread is great and the color blending is perfect, no disco effect, enough shimmer to match halide and the sunrise sunset on these fixtures can't be beat. I'm not too into sunrise or sunset myself, I just want a light that can grow and color SPS, but when I have some friends over for drinks they are blown away at sunset on the reef. It's the smoothest blending I've ever seen,it's like watching the sun drop out of the sky.

I've been back and forth lately between trying a G4 Radion and the GHL LX7 but after crunching some numbers I'll most likely stick with GHL.

The LX7 has 72 total LEDs spread out through 6 pucks throughout the entire fixture. The G4 has 46 total LED in two clusters in the center of the fixture...after I realized this I came to the conclusion the G4 was no longer an option.

Some pics below of what I was achieving with the 6200-

Last edited by mellotang; 02/06/2017 at 07:40 AM.
mellotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 07:37 AM   #53
mellotang
Premium Member

Unread 02/06/2017, 07:58 AM   #54
mellotang
Premium Member

Sorry, best I can do with pic

Any photo help is greatly appreciated

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.8 KB, 128 views)
Unread 02/06/2017, 07:59 AM   #55
mellotang
Premium Member

More

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.0 KB, 92 views)
Unread 02/06/2017, 08:02 AM   #56
mellotang
Premium Member

Last one

Wish I could post larger than thumbnail

Pic uploaded in my Reefcentral gallery

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.7 KB, 102 views)
Unread 02/06/2017, 08:59 AM   #57
mlew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotang View Post
More
Looks great, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 03:58 PM   #58
d2mini
Registered Member

Nice growth and color, mellotang!

What is your overall intensity during midday?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 07:30 PM   #59
Jmunk
Registered Member

I'm coming from 6 bulb ATI, and I'm starting out intensity maxing at 25%. Plan on going to 40 over the course of the next month.

Does that sound about right?

Unread 02/06/2017, 07:37 PM   #60
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

My 65 gal. under 7200's

http://vid328.photobucket.com/albums...psrxvldsjn.mp4

Unread 02/06/2017, 08:05 PM   #61
mellotang
Premium Member

Thanks!!

I was all over on intensity, I would watch the corals and see how they were responding and adjust accordingly. The computer on the light itself was useful for this, I would go into settings, energy options, high output, and adjust max intensity.

If corals were light I would lower intensity, if they were responding well I would increase. I've been all the way up to 80% but found the corals were happiest at 72% with the spectrums I was using. I always ran the light in High Output.

I feel that corals under LED are very sensitive to changes in water quality, quite a few times I was able to save the corals from complete bleaching by dropping intensity to 40% or lower if necessary and slowly ramping up when they looked happier.

Be careful with the intensity of these lights, they are powerful!!

Unread 02/14/2017, 08:57 AM   #62
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Just got my pair of 7200s yesterday and spent the afternoon getting them installed and working. (Big thanks to Slief for the link to the custom pivoting mounts.) I must say they got rid of almost all the shadowing I was starting to get. I'm sure I'll be tweaking the light program over the coming weeks, but I currently have the lights running in High efficiency mode about 80% on blues/hyper-v, 50% on the blue-white, about 25% sky-w, warm-w, red, green, and started about 15% on UV. Gives an output spectrum of roughly 16000K.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 09:06 AM   #63
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
Just got my pair of 7200s yesterday and spent the afternoon getting them installed and working. (Big thanks to Slief for the link to the custom pivoting mounts.) I must say they got rid of almost all the shadowing I was starting to get. I'm sure I'll be tweaking the light program over the coming weeks, but I currently have the lights running in High efficiency mode about 80% on blues/hyper-v, 50% on the blue-white, about 25% sky-w, warm-w, red, green, and started about 15% on UV. Gives an output spectrum of roughly 16000K.

Very cool!

I think I'll be lowering my intensity again today. These suckers are stronger than they seem.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 02/14/2017, 11:03 AM   #64
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Yeah, they are strong. I originally had them on high output mode and then switched to high efficiency to mellow them out a little. My existing Hydra HDs were running pretty high, but I'm still not sure how everything is going to respond so I'm trying not to overdo it. The control center app seems pretty cool and has a lot of functionality in it.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 05:20 PM   #65
FPSD
Registered Member

How many 7200's do you think for a 60x24x24 sca 150? Mostly lps and maybe some easy sps in future. Think 2 would be enough without shadows?

FPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 05:56 PM   #66
scuzy
Registered Member

Three would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 06:20 PM   #67
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSD View Post
How many 7200's do you think for a 60x24x24 sca 150? Mostly lps and maybe some easy sps in future. Think 2 would be enough without shadows?
For softies and LPS, you could get away with 2 just fine though you might want them up a bit higher (12") off the water for best coverage. You'd be able to keep SPS as well but just not at the ends of the tank. For an SPS dominant tank, 3 would be off the charts!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 08:53 PM   #68
Desert Sea
Registered Member

This is a great looking light. I'm guessing that because it's made by GHL it's probably not controllable through an Apex?

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 09:16 PM   #69
scuzy
Registered Member

It's wifi controllable why would I care about apex controlling my light? Plus once you dialed in your won't change it much.

Unread 02/14/2017, 09:20 PM   #70
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I am set to get my new light in tomorrow. My tank is a 24x24x20 cube and was wondering how high you think I should center the light and what intensity I should start out at?

I was thinking 12" off water and 30% max for now. I am coming from an ATI 4 bulb t5/led hybrid.

Slief is there a link to your profile, I know someone created a dropbox for profiles but is yours in there or can you email it to me? I will be up tomorrow night working on the lighting profile and figuring out the GHL control center program.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 09:21 PM   #71
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sea View Post
This is a great looking light. I'm guessing that because it's made by GHL it's probably not controllable through an Apex?
No. Not Apex controllable but as Scuzy mentioned, it is Wifi controllable and the GCC (GHL Control Center) program is very powerful and give us the ability to share lighting project files, set the color spectrum based on Kelvin ranges, change fan speed settings, switch from high efficiency mode to high output mode, set mins and max limits on different channels for power balancing, setup cloud and thunder storms as well as lunar cycles. You can also program the lights via the My GHL cloud interface which is nice too though I do like GCC since it has much more control in terms of the different features of the lights.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 09:23 PM   #72
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
That's one thing that is really nice about GHL vs Ecotech. Wifi is built in and no "Reeflink" is needed. One of my pet peeves is when a company makes you buy another product in order to control or set up their lights/pumps.

My biggest pet peeve about ecotech is the inability to control the vectra pumps via Apex WXM. Ideally, the WXM should be able to link everything but in order to update firmware or control the Vectra series of pumps you must have the reeflink.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 11:36 AM   #73
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
It's wifi controllable why would I care about apex controlling my light? Plus once you dialed in your won't change it much.

I made the investment in the Apex equipment. I would prefer to keep all of my equipment control under one dashboard no matter how often I may or may not need to adjust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
No. Not Apex controllable but as Scuzy mentioned, it is Wifi controllable and the GCC (GHL Control Center) program is very powerful and give us the ability to share lighting project files, set the color spectrum based on Kelvin ranges, change fan speed settings, switch from high efficiency mode to high output mode, set mins and max limits on different channels for power balancing, setup cloud and thunder storms as well as lunar cycles. You can also program the lights via the My GHL cloud interface which is nice too though I do like GCC since it has much more control in terms of the different features of the lights.
Is the GHL Control Center an app or is it something to do with the Profilux controller? If someone didn't have the Profilux controller could they still use all of the functions of the lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
That's one thing that is really nice about GHL vs Ecotech. Wifi is built in and no "Reeflink" is needed. One of my pet peeves is when a company makes you buy another product in order to control or set up their lights/pumps.

My biggest pet peeve about ecotech is the inability to control the vectra pumps via Apex WXM. Ideally, the WXM should be able to link everything but in order to update firmware or control the Vectra series of pumps you must have the reeflink.
I agree. The only way this will change is through consumer behavior. In my opinion, they are missing the boat. They are chopping off their nose to spite their face.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 11:45 AM   #74
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Is the GHL Control Center an app or is it something to do with the Profilux controller? If someone didn't have the Profilux controller could they still use all of the functions of the lights?
GCC is the PC software used to program the lights.
You do not need a Profilux. I don't currently have one on my nano. They are two completely separate items.

Unread 02/15/2017, 11:47 AM   #75
scuzy
Registered Member

I'm sure the native app has a lot more controlled than what's available on the apex if it was controllable. Just like the vortects had less control even with the wxm module.