Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2017, 09:07 AM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

CT 400 Build

I'll start this in the same way that I did my last build thread - it's going to be a slow gestation. Further, I'm going to have to find a photobucket alternative because it's driving me nuts.

About to order a 400, 8' long, 3' wide, 30" tall. My first acrylic . Old 265 is full, both for fish and for corals. Tank will take 10-12 weeks, so time over the Summer to build a new stand, work out what additional floor reinforcements will be required, and collect any incremental kit necessary.

Most of what I have will suffice, though the vortech MP40 pumps will likely not work on 1" thick walls. Will need a better overflow, probably 36" modular marine model. Will need another 100 lbs of sand, give or take. Lots of plumbing and containers for holding livestock and water during the swap. Finally, 4-5 strong lads.

To be continued .....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 09:10 AM   #2
fastest302
Registered Member

Following

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

125g African Cichlid Tank (peacocks and haps)
Process 20g long reef tank

Current Tank Info: 20g long reef
fastest302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 10:08 AM   #3
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Whopping 400. Can't wait to see it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 10:51 AM   #4
iced98lx
Registered Member

Looking forward to it. I am a big fan of Flickr if you are using a computer to compose your updates. Their mobile app is good for uploading/organizing but doesn't provide a handy BB code like their desktop interface does. That said, you can chose a size for your BB code photo on desktop which I find handy. Unlike photobucket I've never had it slow to a crawl, not work or take forever for photos uploaded from mobile to show on the web interface on my computer.

Downside is that their generated BB code includes a link to the Flickr page for your photo and your flickr user.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 04:47 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Since my system display is on a floor above the mechanicals, I'm going to take advantage of gravity as much as possible and eliminate a pump or two. Drain siphon already feeds the ATS, but I'm going to use it feed the separate refugium and frag tank as well.

Also going for lots of swimming room, so corals will not be closer than 12 inches to the front. Will also allow me to use the lights I have for the rear 24" and really limit the light that hits the front. Last time I had a 36" wide tank I did this and got almost no algae on the front. Planning a wooden 'skirt' around the tank so that any algae that does build up next to the sand can be ignored.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 04/22/2017 at 04:53 PM.
Unread 04/22/2017, 06:26 PM   #6
scott11106
Registered Member

i too am building a 300-400g tank but i am on a bit longer of a time line as i am starting the process of building a new fish room by building a new house around it....

I just found some land am about to pull the trigger on the house process but i will follow your thread as we are doing the same process.
Do you know what brand or who will build your tank?

do you have any new equipment spec'ed yet?

scott11106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 07:16 PM   #7
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Who is building the tank ?i also went acrylic on my new 400 ..its my first acrylic too.. are u nervous about scratching it ?...i am.alitte

chuckbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 10:36 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbuc View Post
Who is building the tank ?i also went acrylic on my new 400 ..its my first acrylic too.. are u nervous about scratching it ?...i am.alitte
Probably going with a modified model from fishtanksdirect in FL. My first plastic tank. Nervous ..... terrified!!!

Unread 04/22/2017, 10:38 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott11106 View Post
do you have any new equipment spec'ed yet?
Mostly it's equipment already in service on my 265. I will need a second Vortech MP60, particularly if my current MP40s prove unusable on a 1" tank. May also need one more Radion, though I plan an open area front to back in the tank that won't require bright lighting. I'm not a huge-flow-through-sump proponent, so my PW200 should suffice as the main return pump. Skimmer is sized for 600 gallons, CaRx for the same. Sump already oversized 1t 150 gallons so no issues there.

Unread 04/23/2017, 06:09 AM   #10
chuckbuc
Registered Member

What's ur plans on cleaning the glass/acrylic

Unread 04/23/2017, 08:18 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'll be shading the front pane, so expecting low algae growth. Been advised to use acrylic intended mag float with magic eraser. Dont leave magnet cleaner in the tank. Also as noted I'm going to make a skirt that will cover the sand so I can leave a strip of uncleared front thus avoiding picking up any sand. Beyond that just being very careful.

Check out my large acrylic tank thread in the reef discussion forum.

Unread 04/23/2017, 05:13 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

This is the most recent picture of my 265 - quite full as you can see. With some trimming and moving 'damage' I figure I can get it all into the 400. Going to build the new stand with the same plywood 'microlams' as before - worked really well and was incredibly rigid. Tank sits over a weight bearing foundation wall, so will add an additional jack post, but that's about it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.jpg (71.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by ca1ore; 08/22/2017 at 09:39 AM.
Unread 04/23/2017, 05:25 PM   #13
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Probably going with a modified model from fishtanksdirect in FL. My first plastic tank. Nervous ..... terrified!!!
Try to get a beater acrylic tank, and practice how to remove scratches underwater you're gonna need it

Also what's your backup plan when your anemones don't stay on your island?

Unread 04/23/2017, 06:51 PM   #14
dave.m
Registered Member

No, no. A 400 is never going to hold that lot in place. I'd go bigger. :wink:

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 08:48 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Also what's your backup plan when your anemones don't stay on your island?
I only keep mags and they mostly do stay put at the top. Only had one floater in 25 years ..... and it didn't end well. I have personally designed guards on the vortechs.

Unread 04/23/2017, 11:36 PM   #16
victorcan
Registered Member

Im in the market for a 400 tank, been researching glass however, I have never had an acrylic tank and have always been scared.. Your 265 is glass right?

Current Tank Info: 220Gal Mixed Reef
victorcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 05:24 AM   #17
nsfishguy
Registered Member

What is your plan with the 265 when you setup the new tank?

nsfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:09 AM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have been thinking about a bigger tank for a while and have debated glass versus acrylic. I did explore options and builders for both. I do worry about scratching with acrylic, but experienced users have assured me that it is quite manageable. The weight of the 400 gallon acrylic tank is about 500 pounds empty, the same sized glass tank is about 1,300. Cost (once freight is factored in) is about the same.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to the fate of the 265 (a glass tank). It's 4 years old, so plenty of life left in it and it ought to be saleable; though large used tanks are hard to move at anything more than pennies on the dollar. I have plenty of storage space in the garage, so probably I will try to sell it at a fair price; failing that I'll just store it until certain I won't reuse it for something else; or maybe donate it to a local club.

Last edited by ca1ore; 04/24/2017 at 07:14 AM.
Unread 04/24/2017, 08:55 AM   #19
victorcan
Registered Member

Quote:
I have been thinking about a bigger tank for a while and have debated glass versus acrylic. I did explore options and builders for both. I do worry about scratching with acrylic, but experienced users have assured me that it is quite manageable. The weight of the 400 gallon acrylic tank is about 500 pounds empty, the same sized glass tank is about 1,300. Cost (once freight is factored in) is about the same.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to the fate of the 265 (a glass tank). It's 4 years old, so plenty of life left in it and it ought to be saleable; though large used tanks are hard to move at anything more than pennies on the dollar. I have plenty of storage space in the garage, so probably I will try to sell it at a fair price; failing that I'll just store it until certain I won't reuse it for something else; or maybe donate it to a local club.
Would make for a phenomenal basement sump/fuge was honestly considering using my 220 as a Fuge if I can get a decent priced 400

Current Tank Info: 220Gal Mixed Reef
victorcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 01:54 PM   #20
nsfishguy
Registered Member

You should just setup the 265 as well, you know you will need it too. A lot more fish and corals to be had, LOL!!!!

nsfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 04:53 PM   #21
RIGUY314
Registered Member

Quote:
I only keep mags and they mostly do stay put at the top. Only had one floater in 25 years ..... and it didn't end well. I have personally designed guards on the vortechs.
I take of couple of those guards for MP40's since you won't be needing them any more!

nice build! can't wait to see the end result. following for sure.

upgrade in process - Reef Savvy 60*24*24 rimless mixed reef - w/the works

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425XL
RIGUY314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 05:15 PM   #22
scott11106
Registered Member

seems like most of the people i have talked recommended glass tanks, what was the reason for going acrylic? would love to hear everyones opinion and why as i am in the hunt for a 300-400 tank

scott11106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 06:30 PM   #23
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott11106 View Post
seems like most of the people i have talked recommended glass tanks, what was the reason for going acrylic? would love to hear everyones opinion and why as i am in the hunt for a 300-400 tank
I just ordered a 396 gallon acrylic ,for me I had my 300 glass leak at the silicone seam,I figured I would much rather have a scratch that I can possibly get out ether than a leak again ,the other was I looked at want aquariums, hotels,restaurants use, figure an acrylic will outlive a glass ....

Unread 04/24/2017, 09:23 PM   #24
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I think the reason why public places do acrylic is because it is something that is fixable if you get some "vandal", where as glass not so much. I know one of the local aquariums it isn't a matter of an acrylic box welded at the seams, it's a fiberglass (or concrete) aquarium with an acrylic viewing pane held against a silicone gasket. So it's not about the leak prevention of welding vs. silicone adhesion to glass.

I have gone back and forth between acrylic and glass myself, and the scratches are something I can deal with, however what I can't deal with is all the extra elbow grease required to keep acrylic looking good. Now you can either be very vigilant with your daily cleaning so that it never becomes a problem (small amount of effort, lots of time) or you could attack it when you get the chance which if it's something like coraline algae or that harder brown algae then you have to put a tremendous amount of effort into it. My experience with glass, you take a razor blade, and within 10-15 minutes (obviously depends upon the tank size) the pane looks brand new and crystal clear (yup even on non-starphire!). And ultimately the clarity is going to depend upon how clean you keep it, not what the material is made out of.

that said I've seen beautiful acrylic tanks as I have seen glass tanks.

Unread 04/25/2017, 05:54 PM   #25
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Some thoughts on equipment:

1. It's quite likely that my two MP40 pumps aren't going to work with 1" thick walls, so I have acquired a second MP60. I will certainly attempt to get the 40s to work but if they don't, dual 60s should suffice.
2. I'm still going to use the closed loop, though with larger piping so I can get more flow out of my Vectra pump.
3. I use a few of those Aquamag magnetic rock shelves, and they're problematic with 1" walls. Have some much more powerful external magnets so will try those.
4. I run a panworld 200 to feed both the 265 and my 120 refugium. I'm going to feed the refugium from the overflow drain, so the entire flow from the 200 should be enough for the new tank.
5. Not planning any new lights for now considering I will be putting all corals in the rear 24".