Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2018, 12:20 PM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

340 In wall Coral Scape?

Well, I'm populating my 340 G (that's been up and running now for about 2 months. 2 weeks of which it's populated with 7 fish that are all doing great so far! )

I'm thinking about corals (and how much I can't afford them! )

I like the growth of SPS, but, really, the stuff my wife and I like the most are LPS, Acans, Frog spawn, hammerheads, and anything with long wavy tentacles that move in the water. Heck, even some softies like GSP, a toad stool, maybe a nepthia, some mushrooms. And I really want to try some colorful NPS.

Along with a few SPS to round things out at the top (closest to the lights).

The tank is 31 tall x 36" wide, x 69" long. Running 4bulb Aquatic Life T5HO fixture and 3 Hydra 52 HDs - the LEDS are run perpendicular to the tank so as to cover the largest spread front to back.

I think I have plenty of light for most everything. I'm hoping to have at least 1 medium sized ornamental clam. AT least one Anemone (if not more).

My understanding is that the water cleanliness for soft vs. SPS is significantly different. I've tried a mixed reef in the past with Softies and when the SPS were doing amazing, the toadstools and other softer corals were not doing as well, with loss of flesh and not opening as much. If the soft corals were doing amazing then the SPS were not growing very fast if at all, they were just barely alive at times.

So, as much as I like a mixed reef, would I be more successful going with a mix of LPS and softies vs. a mix of everything?

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 12:56 PM   #2
halmus
Registered Member

I’ve seen tanks successfully keep a broad mix, but like you mentioned, they all have different preferences and needs.

I have a 350g SPS dominant tank (500g total system) that’s still young but is doing a well. I’ve tried introducing LPS with little luck. That’s not to say it can’t be done but there is a balance that I haven’t reached yet.

If you want a broad mix, I think you’ll need to be ready for a lot more trial and error before you reach that sweet spot where everything’s happy.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote