Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2011, 07:16 AM   #76
john miller
Registered Member

Wow!, tank has turned out real nice.

john miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 10:34 AM   #77
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john miller View Post
Wow!, tank has turned out real nice.
Thanks John, look forward to seeing your clowns finally make it safe and sound into your display!

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 10:34 AM   #78
LaRue05
Registered Member

pretty slick Angelo

LaRue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 05:16 PM   #79
garetjax
Registered Member

Tank looks great.

I run my lights between 6-8 hrs a day on the week days and 8-10 on the weekend.

Also i would stay away from the mandarin fish. They really need a tank thats been going for a while. i've read and chatted with a bunch that say its the 2nd-3rd hardest fish to keep.

Also watch your load. Don't want to add to much to quick. I know its addictive but take it slow. You don't want your bacteria to get overloaded to fast.

Garetjax

Trumpet coral, Frogspawn, Torch Coral,
Duncan Coral, Cabbage Coral, Birdsnest Coral
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2011, 08:11 AM   #80
ange062
Registered Member

I saw the coolest thing last night!! I was walking by the tank just in time to notice a little activity out of the corner of my eye, so I stopped to watch.

I saw my skunk cleaner jumping onto my coral beauty for a cleaning session!! It didn't last long, the angel seemed to get a little scared, but it was a good start. Can't wait to see more of this, it was literally one of the coolest things I have seen happen in my tank yet.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/02/2011, 09:57 PM   #81
ange062
Registered Member

Noticed another interesting happening in my tank over the past couple of days. I thought my largest mushroom might be dieing (weird since everything else is growing). But, it looks like it decided to propagate itself. Check out the pic, you can see that it's split itself in a couple of pieces, it formed two new mouthes and two new bases. Pretty cool stuff! Looks like I will have 3 for the price of one in a week or so.

Now if only I could figure out why my tree coral feel the need to continually lean over...

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/06/2011, 08:23 AM   #82
ange062
Registered Member

So I finally succumbed and ordered an AquaMaxx HOB-1 from MarineDepot yesterday, should be here Friday! While I was at it, I went ahead and ordered AquaticPharm SW / Reef Master kits so I am not dependent on a trip to the LFS for a water check. Also stocked up on Chemi-pure and Purigen.

I added an elegance last weekend as a "central piece" and was very happy with how everything looked! Unfortunately, the elegance wasn't happy with its location on LR or the flow there, and it wasn't opening up fully. I decided to re-scape the tank last night to give the elegance a nice open sandbed to lay on in a lower flow area. Unfortunately, I don't like the scape and think I am going to have to remove some LR to make it all work out, the tank looks too crowded now. The pulsing xenia frag I got at the same time is doing great, and opens up happily no matter where I move it.

Here is a pic of how I liked the tank before I had to rescape. I'll post a newer FTS once I get something that I like.

I'm also having a problem with one head on my frogspawn. It hasn't been opening for a few days now, and I have seen a few polyps fall off. I am hoping that it was just irritated by a crab or something and will recover. I'll be keeping a close eye on it though, and if it's getting worse by this weekend I may cut that head off to save the others.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/06/2011, 04:41 PM   #83
Crease123
Registered Member

Great thread and wonderful pics! Simple enough for a complete newbie like me to understand. My jbj 28 gal is due to arrive this weekend, and I can't wait to start a thread like yours.

Just a question, how do you acclimate your corals? Do you wear gloves when arranging them in the tank?

Crease123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 07:36 PM   #84
duncantse
Fish Advisor

Great progres! Just wondering what your feeding schedule is.

duncantse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 08:40 PM   #85
ange062
Registered Member

Thanks crease, that was my intent. Corals I use same acclimation as everything else, which I posted already. No gloves, but may start soon.

Ducantse, I feed spectrum pellets once a day, then alternate second feeding between frozen mysis, frozen baby brine, kent zooplex, kent phytoplex, and an LFS brew of assorted shrimp and veg pellets.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/06/2011, 08:45 PM   #86
ange062
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I lost my suspect frogspawn head today. Got home to full on brown jelly, and immediately started siphoning to try to save it. After an hour, I gave up, pulled the coral from the tank, and cut deep into the infected branch with a sharp serrated knife. For those that haven't done it, it STINKS! Hopefully that will save the other 6 heads and my other corals.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/07/2011, 05:50 PM   #87
ange062
Registered Member

Does anyone have ideas for my last fish? I want something exotic and unique since it will complete my stock list unless I start getting rid of my present fish (but I feel bad doing that!).

I have been thinking about these tiny mandarin dragonette's at the LFS, they are eating frozen mysis and some pellets and have been there about 3-wks now. But they aren't the most active fish.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/07/2011, 06:11 PM   #88
john miller
Registered Member

Vlamingi Tang look pretty cool.

It's a joke.

Unread 04/07/2011, 07:03 PM   #89
duncantse
Fish Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Does anyone have ideas for my last fish? I want something exotic and unique since it will complete my stock list unless I start getting rid of my present fish (but I feel bad doing that!).

I have been thinking about these tiny mandarin dragonette's at the LFS, they are eating frozen mysis and some pellets and have been there about 3-wks now. But they aren't the most active fish.
Get a yellow coris wrasse. I love the color on it and it is very active searching for food!

Unread 04/07/2011, 07:10 PM   #90
ange062
Registered Member

John, I am calling the TP on you!!!!
Duncantse, liveaquaria says 50+ on that, but pretty cool looking, I may have to consider anyway.

Keep the fish ideas coming!!!

FTS from tonight, still not 100% happy with the scape, but it's not looking terrible and everything seems to be happier so far. The dead frogspawn head really isn't even noticeable, it was the smallest one of the 7 anyway.

j

Oddly enough, the softie tree coral seems to be happiest so far in the direct blast of the MP10, first time I have got it to not lean over. May swap the elegance and frogspawn though, still seems like too much flow there for the elegance.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/07/2011, 07:18 PM   #91
duncantse
Fish Advisor

Naw, I have met many people that have kept it in 15,20,30 gallon tanks successfully.

Unread 04/07/2011, 07:28 PM   #92
garetjax
Registered Member

Just don't put the elegance on rocks. They need to be kept ont he sand bed since the rocks can irritate or tear the skin. Tank looks great. Keep up the good work.

I got a Scooter blenney today at the LFS. Cute little guy. Black and white, and scooting all over the rocks.

Garetjax

Unread 04/07/2011, 08:09 PM   #93
Asureef
Registered Member

Great looking tank!

As for the fish, I think it is stocked to the max with those 4 fishs, considering the clownfish & coral beauty will get quite larger.

Asureef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2011, 12:34 AM   #94
ange062
Registered Member

Thanks asureef, but I think with the skimmer and weekly water changes I should be able to maintain a total of 5 small fish.j

I've been searching through liveaquaria, and found a few cool wrasses. Here is a suspect once:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...09&pcatid=1409

Still thinking about that mandarin also, it's a beautiful fish just scared about causing it harm. Already have an agreement with the LFS that if it isn't eating I can bring it back.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/08/2011, 02:18 AM   #95
dkanka
Registered Member

If you are looking for one more fish, I would do with one of the watchman gobies. My favorite one is the Yasha goby.

dkanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2011, 09:27 PM   #96
ange062
Registered Member

Im still undecided on a fish, but I got a bunch of new toys in today!!

Test kits and media stock:

AquaMaxx HOB-1:

Just like with the InTank media basket and MP10, the build quality of this skimmer is very impressive! It's packaged very well and the build quality and materials are just incredible. I am a little disappointed with the shipping from MarineDepot though, both orders that I have placed from them have arrived in banged up boxes with little packing material and everything just shuffling around inside the box, it's not safe and only a matter of time before I get something that arrives broken...

I "broke in" the skimmer for about 30mins by running it in hot fresh water to clean it out:

Then, it was time to mount it up!! It took about 30mins for me to figure out the proper fit. First I tried the heater column because it seemed like it wouldn't find on the left side of the tank due to wall clearance. I didn't like this, so got determined to make it work in the skimmer column. It actually clears the wall just fine. When I first put it in, I had only the elbow and clear tube draining directly into the water, but this was causing bubbles in the intake and a lot of noise. I then tried using the T also to extend it down below the water, but this was causing a weird syphon thing to happen that was both causing bubbles and noise. I finally hit the sweet spot by removing the T and just having the short clear tube spill onto the stock sponge. It's completely silent like this and no bubbles in intake or on the return.

j

If anybody is looking for a skimmer for an NC28, I have only had it for this evening but I can tell you hands down that you can't go wrong with this one. It's dead silent (quieter then the stock overflow and pumps), fits the tank perfectly, and NO MICRO BUBBLES even 10min after installation. Break in??? What's that!! Completely happy that I spent the extra $45 over the Remora, the noise from that thing would have driven me nuts! Will comment later on how much stuff it pulls out, but I haven't heard anyone that was disappointed with it yet.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/08/2011, 10:22 PM   #97
ange062
Registered Member

dKH: 10
PO4: 0.5
Ca: 440
pH: 8.3
NH3/NO2/NO3: 0
Salinity: 1.024

Looking perfect! Been dosing Kent Purple Tech, Kent Tech M Magnesium, and SeaChem Reef Iodide halfway between my weekly water changes.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 04/09/2011, 02:09 AM   #98
Ethan_W
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Thanks asureef, but I think with the skimmer and weekly water changes I should be able to maintain a total of 5 small fish.j

I've been searching through liveaquaria, and found a few cool wrasses. Here is a suspect once:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...09&pcatid=1409

Still thinking about that mandarin also, it's a beautiful fish just scared about causing it harm. Already have an agreement with the LFS that if it isn't eating I can bring it back.
if you are going to be getting a mandarin i would highly recommend getting rid of the coral banded shrimp. they are very slow, calm, peaceful fish and can easily get grabbed by them. the 2 dont mix imo.

also even if the mandarin is eating prepared foods you need to feed them heavily. they have large appetites and honestly the best way to keep one is just to have enough pods to support it. thats the best way to keep them fat and happy. believe me they will starve if you dont feed them for 2 days. ive had the unfortunate experience.

Livestock: 2 true perc clowns, firefish, scooter blenny, yellow coris wrasse, harlequin shrimp, acan, brain, frogspawn, Z's and P's, few SPS, etc
Ethan_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 07:08 PM   #99
garetjax
Registered Member

Glad to see the skimmer working for you. You'll have to keep me informed how's its working for you.

Garetjax

Unread 04/09/2011, 08:41 PM   #100
john miller
Registered Member

Kind of hard to tell from the pics but any issues with opening the lid far enough to prop it open?

Tags
jbj, led, nano, radion, sps