Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2015, 10:50 AM   #101
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

I'm following this. I had 0.15 po4 and 0 no3. Started dosing no3 and in 4 days, and po4 is down to 0.06 and nitrates up to 0.2ppm. I didn't take pictures before and after but I am seeing growth on corals that haven't been growing for months. Corals are also coloring up. It could be due to lower po4 or higher no3 but something has def changed

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2015, 01:53 PM   #102
jacyn
Registered Member

Do you mind posting who you bought it from on Ebay. I cant find it there. I want to get the same brand you bought. I suspect I'm having the same exact problem you did

Current Tank Info: 110 Gal All Glass Aquarium Tall with a single overflow
jacyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2015, 02:01 PM   #103
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacyn View Post
Do you mind posting who you bought it from on Ebay. I cant find it there. I want to get the same brand you bought. I suspect I'm having the same exact problem you did
Here's where I got mine
http://nilocg.com/dry-fertilizer/individual-fertilizer/

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 03:01 PM   #104
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:

Had someone else ask the same question, and I can't find the same product I bought. It's pretty common stuff. It was just easier for me ordering it from eBay. Any place that sells potassium nitrate will work. And you don't need a whole lot of it. A little bit goes a long way

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2015, 05:24 AM   #105
Gumma 1
Registered Member

Here's what I used

Gumma 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2015, 05:42 AM   #106
Gumma 1
Registered Member

This stump remover is found at Lowes. Mix 2 tablespoons with 2 cups of rodi water. In my tank there is 100 gallons. I dosed 10 ml . and raised nitrate from zero to 1 ppm with one dose.

Gumma 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2015, 07:01 AM   #107
jacyn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
Had someone else ask the same question, and I can't find the same product I bought. It's pretty common stuff. It was just easier for me ordering it from eBay. Any place that sells potassium nitrate will work. And you don't need a whole lot of it. A little bit goes a long way

Thanks! I ordered it from the company directly on their site using paypal. They responded and shipped with in hours of the order. Total came out to $9 with shipping.

Unread 11/13/2015, 07:33 PM   #108
billyzbear
Registered Member

I'm going to try this. I'm at .2 nitrates now. I'll dose it up to 2 and wait and see.

billyzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 08:24 PM   #109
jacyn
Registered Member

Ok. I received the same bag of potassium nitrate that you have. Im unsure of the dosage amount. I read your first post on dosage and you mentioned you read it somewhere. What thread was that? Also What dosage amount per gallon is it? Isnit 1/4 tsp per 1 gallon of tank water? Am i correct ? Are you premixing the powder nitrate in a separate jug of tank water so it dissolves and then pouring that into the tank? May system volume is 120 gallons including the sump. Excuse the borage of questions. Thanks again for your help!! My

Unread 11/15/2015, 11:35 PM   #110
cjrollison
Registered Member

A related discussion of the need for nitrates and phosphates to achieve SPS growth and coloration. Seems the tide is turning on the ultra low nutrient philosophy.

http://www.*********.com/index.php?threads/216694/

( Will links to other forums get me banded here? Hoping education is good for all? Mods? )

cjrollison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 11:44 PM   #111
FortyFour
Registered Member

Dosing nitrates. This hobby has gone full circle.

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2015, 06:49 PM   #112
CoralNerd
Registered Member

I just got my KNO3 in the mail today, I'm going to try the really wimpy dose first. Going to dose 15, 1/4 TSP, into 400ml of rodi, let's say my tank is 70g which its actually more.Based on what you said on the first page I would of had to put in 70, 1/4 TSP.
Does my dose of 15, 1/4 TSP sound ok?
I'm scared to try it.

Last edited by CoralNerd; 11/16/2015 at 07:01 PM.
CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2015, 09:23 PM   #113
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok. I received the same bag of potassium nitrate that you have. Im unsure of the dosage amount. I read your first post on dosage and you mentioned you read it somewhere. What thread was that? Also What dosage amount per gallon is it? Isnit 1/4 tsp per 1 gallon of tank water? Am i correct ? Are you premixing the powder nitrate in a separate jug of tank water so it dissolves and then pouring that into the tank? May system volume is 120 gallons including the sump. Excuse the borage of questions. Thanks again for your help!! My

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralNerd View Post
I just got my KNO3 in the mail today, I'm going to try the really wimpy dose first. Going to dose 15, 1/4 TSP, into 400ml of rodi, let's say my tank is 70g which its actually more.Based on what you said on the first page I would of had to put in 70, 1/4 TSP.
Does my dose of 15, 1/4 TSP sound ok?
I'm scared to try it.

I don't want to be responsible for nuking someone's tanks.

Read this and please dose at your own risk. Start very very slow. My tank is 300+ gallons, so I have a little more wiggle room. Smaller tanks might need to be a little more precise.

Unread 11/16/2015, 09:26 PM   #114
CoralNerd
Registered Member

That's a tough conversion darn, plus he's talking about the stump remover stuff.

Unread 11/16/2015, 09:29 PM   #115
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a tough conversion darn, plus he's talking about the stump remover stuff.

Stump remover IS potassium nitrate. He crushed it up and weighed it.

Unread 11/16/2015, 09:32 PM   #116
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Zero Nitrates = Pastel Acros (dosing nitrates)

Dissolve 1 tablespoon of potassium nitrate into 1 liter of ro/di.
1ml of ^ solution = .8ppm of nitrate per 2 gallons.

Dose 35ml and that should equal .8ppm on a 70 gallon tank.
Dose 70ml and that should equal 1.6ppm

Unread 11/16/2015, 09:32 PM   #117
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:

Read last post ^.

Unread 11/16/2015, 09:57 PM   #118
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Cool thanks for replying. I have a head cold and the conversions were killing me. So I didn't put everything I made in. It brought the nitrate up. For the first time ever I see pink in the Salifert tester. I'm sitting between 3 and 5 on the slide. Probably 4 parts per million. I don't have to do an emergency water change luckily. A brought it up a little quicker than I wanted. I'm sure the skimmer will be working on overdrive tonight.

Unread 11/16/2015, 11:30 PM   #119
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool thanks for replying. I have a head cold and the conversions were killing me. So I didn't put everything I made in. It brought the nitrate up. For the first time ever I see pink in the Salifert tester. I'm sitting between 3 and 5 on the slide. Probably 4 parts per million. I don't have to do an emergency water change luckily. A brought it up a little quicker than I wanted. I'm sure the skimmer will be working on overdrive tonight.

Yep. My skimmer started producing a lot more skimmate, and it was a lot darker as well

Unread 11/17/2015, 02:37 PM   #120
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Last nights 4 ppm, now test this morning at 2 ppm. The skimmer did it's job. I probably dosed 1/3 of what I made and will need to dilute if/when I need to use again.

Did you ever put in bac7 or other. Over the last year I had put in a few different bac products, I wonder if I created the super bac lol.

Unread 11/17/2015, 03:46 PM   #121
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Last nights 4 ppm, now test this morning at 2 ppm. The skimmer did it's job. I probably dosed 1/3 of what I made and will need to dilute if/when I need to use again.

Did you ever put in bac7 or other. Over the last year I had put in a few different bac products, I wonder if I created the super bac lol.

No I I've only used microbacter when setting up a new tank

Unread 11/18/2015, 12:29 AM   #122
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Wierd on the Salifert test kit, when I look down through the vial the color matches 2. Then when I look through the side and push the vial up against the card it's still 2. Am I at 2 ppm or 0.2 ppm?

Unread 11/18/2015, 10:11 AM   #123
calistyle
Registered Member

I dunno, but I'm going to go dose my stomach with a breakfast burrito for 4.75 USD

Unread 11/18/2015, 04:01 PM   #124
Habib
CEO of Salifert

Quote:
Wierd on the Salifert test kit, when I look down through the vial the color matches 2. Then when I look through the side and push the vial up against the card it's still 2. Am I at 2 ppm or 0.2 ppm?
That is weird!

Do you hold it on or against the white part or partly (this is as it should)?

Perhaps you might want to post pictures from the top and from the side.

"Ice cream, steaks, and Bailey's Irish Cream all help promote healthy immune systems. Why else would I love to naturally eat them packed with fat as they are?" - R. Holmes-Farley, 2012
Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2015, 10:16 PM   #125
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
When you look through the side, the color should intensify and you should divide the color match by ten. The difficulty is 2 is pretty darn light looking through the top and so maybe you are just seeing the slightest hint of pink.

But if you read 2 through the side view then the result should be 0.2 ppm of nitrate. And you should be placing your vial against the white background on the card and matching it to the displayed colors. Do not place your vial overlaying any of the pink samples displayed

At nitrate readings this low, you may want to consider using the Red Sea pro test kit although the salifert works too

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote