Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2013, 06:20 PM   #26
jinks
Registered Member

Coral magazine had an issue a few months ago with some good articles on them. It's free so worth the read

jinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 02:45 AM   #27
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinks View Post
Coral magazine had an issue a few months ago with some good articles on them. It's free so worth the read
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/...s-marapr-2013/
Yes, very good!
That was the March/April, 2013 issue.

CORAL Magazine Table of Contents Mar/Apr 2013

01 Mar, 2013

Click cover to order this back issue for your CORAL collection.
ZOANTHIDS
VOLUME 10, NUMBER 2
4 Letter From Europe by Daniel Knop
7 Editor’s Page by James M. Lawrence
8 Letters
12 Reef News
24 Rarities Pseudocoris Wrasses
by Scott W. Michael

FEATURE ARTICLES
32 A Zeal For Zoanthids by Daniel Knop
36 Things Worth Knowing About Encrusting Anemones by Daniel Knop
46 Zoanthids: Aquarium Husbandry and Propogation by Claude Schuhmacher

54 Audacious Gastropods by Daniel Knop
58 Fiji: An Aquarist’s Dive Notes by Nate Wilson
70 Copepods: Up Close by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.
87 Practical ’Pods by Erik Stennza

AQUARIUM PORTRAIT
101 A Gigantic Clam in my Living Room by Willi Wehner

DEPARTMENTS
109 Species Spotlight: Japanese Swallow Angelfish by Daniel Knop
115 Reefkeeping 101: Heavy-metal poisoning by Daniel Knop; Flame Hawkfish by Inken Krause
120 CORAL Sources: Outstanding aquarium shops
122 Coralexicon: Technical terms that appear in this issue
123 CORAL Destinations: World-class aquarium shops & places to visit
124 Advanced Aquatics: High drama for the Hawaiian aquarium trade by Ret Talbot
128 Advertiser Index
130 Reef Life: by Denise Nielsen Tackett and Larry P. Tackett

Would be great if others could post their experiences here too...

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!

Last edited by A. Grandis; 08/12/2013 at 03:28 AM.
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 03:32 PM   #28
jinks
Registered Member

I know that you can get it free on the i pad news stand. not sure what other devises its on. After reading forums for so long its nice to remember you can read an article and no one gets in an argument at the end. They did a very nice job of breaking down the different divisions of Zoas and talking about each.

Unread 08/12/2013, 07:14 PM   #29
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
I know that you can get it free on the i pad news stand. not sure what other devises its on. After reading forums for so long its nice to remember you can read an article and no one gets in an argument at the end. They did a very nice job of breaking down the different divisions of Zoas and talking about each.
How do we do that?

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 08/12/2013, 08:25 PM   #30
jinks
Registered Member

I only have the iPad so I'm not sure if its the same on everything. Open the newsstand app, hit the store button, search coral magazine. Then you can add it to your news stand. This has all of them back to 2009 in it. Better then paying the $12 an issue or what ever it was they charged and no giant pile of old magazines laying around.

Unread 08/12/2013, 09:00 PM   #31
A. Grandis
Registered Member

I do have all the coral magazines, but I enjoy looking at the pictures and reading old articles that way too.
Thanks for the tip!
It's aways good to have something to read with the iPad if no more paper magazines around.

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 08/12/2013, 09:01 PM   #32
lokii_37
Registered Member

Quote:
I only have the iPad so I'm not sure if its the same on everything. Open the newsstand app, hit the store button, search coral magazine. Then you can add it to your news stand. This has all of them back to 2009 in it. Better then paying the $12 an issue or what ever it was they charged and no giant pile of old magazines laying around.
That's how I read it on my iPhone too

Unread 04/17/2015, 09:34 AM   #33
verano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Grandis View Post
I know the thread is old, but here we go...
A little update...

Well, fish poop is an old one! That alone won't do the trick, unfortunately. Actually that isn't much related to zoanthids' growth/reproduction IME anyway. Have you found your zoas closing around fish poop? I've never seen any type of zoa grabbing feces. They actually reject it at all costs. So that is one of the proofs. Another thing is that in all the papers I've read there is no scientific evidences of fish poop in zoas' guts. Please let me know if you found one. Perhaps they didn't look for it?

Zoas do have the ability to absorb nutrients from the water and many people have the idea that fishes' feces become a great deal of those diluted nutrients. Some would agree with me that after digestion, those nutrients would be reduced considerably, and probably would be hard for the polyps do use them as they they should. Bacteria would transform those feces too, reducing them even more after they settle. In the ocean such nutrients probably don't come mainly from fishes feces, but other yet unknown sources (if you are reading this and found out the sources, please let us know! ).

Nitrates are a by product of the transformation of mainly food and feces in closed systems, by bacteria. Some believe that zoas do love the presence of nitrates. The truth is that nitrates aren't that toxic when in acceptable levels to begin with, and besides that, zoas are pretty hardy in many ways, as many say. So they tolerate nitrates well. Many times the tremendous amount of variables are ignored by many of us.

Fish food and feces become detritus and that could be transformed in many different ways in our closed systems. Most of those transformations are done by bacteria and the accumulation of those products (mostly algae nutrients) aren't very welcome. Therefore exportation and neutralization of those products are our goal as aquarists.

We know today the quality of nutrients for zoas' growth in closed systems should come from ingested quality particle foods, after good quality light and adequate/favorable water parameters. Their absorption abilities are minor in our "low nutrient systems". Skimmers are great removers of those nutrients, if they those nutrients present, and the use of carbon will remove even more. The nutrients we're talking about here are also the so hated ones used by algae and we want them out of there anyway!!!!

Excess nutrients, offered by a huge broadcast feeding, would greatly contribute to most zoanthids' absorption abilities. Skimmers are normally turned off for hours after the artificial feeding episode, normally done at night.

I would like also to add to post #6 (please read that!) and say that skimmer is one of the best things we could add to any saltwater setup, specially reefs!! Any zoanthid system should have a good skimmer and a maintenance schedule, with stable parameters.

Also, temperature should be in their 78-79°F. That's what works best for me.
Some people keep it at around 75°F ish. Others would prefer warmer, around 80°-81°F.

The use of GAC is good when well administered!

I don't recommend GFO and pellets. They aren't necessary and could bring some trouble when misused. That said, to avoid them is the best IMO, generally speaking.

To target feed the zoas is really good and that would bring some more maintenance for being time consuming too, but most species will be glad if you're doing it. Broad feeding your system is also acceptable and that is the way some of the most beautiful zoa dominated tanks do!!!!

Of course quality light is a great deal for their zooxanthellae metabolism and relationship. Many people say they use only that source for their maintenance in captivity. I found that light alone isn't enough in a long run to have zoanthids at their best (like we find them in nature). Best light is still metal halides. No doubt about that!!! HO T5s are great also!!
I do not trust LEDs yet and found many people complaining and going back to MH/T5s. that's another long subject!!!

At last, but still important... every system is different and every zoanthid species has it's own abilities and peculiarities, so be patient with them and try not to spend absurd amount of money with those expensive "special deals". Normally you'll find them soon at much lower prices.

For those who are propagating them for sale, please consider in selling them with at least 5 - 10 polyps per plug/rock. That is how zoanthids' should be sold IMO.

My US$.02.

Please post your experiences here...
Have fun!

Grandis.

What constitutes stable parameters?

verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 03:05 AM   #34
gentledental4u
Registered Member

love this thread

gentledental4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 06:52 AM   #35
gamerunr
Registered Member

Great thread

gamerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 01:20 AM   #36
ABzReef
Registered Member

Dont stay at them for hours, look at them every other week, you will notive they gettin bugger and biggr

ABzReef is offline   Reply With Quote