Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2008, 09:19 PM   #1
kware
Registered Member

what is the fastest growing zoanthid

I'm looking for something to form a carpet over some rocks and sand. I'm guessing people will say mostely button polyps.

kware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2008, 09:57 PM   #2
deacon hemp
Registered Member

Green bay packers....ive seen a tank with the whole back wall covered in those....also bam bams take off in the right conditions ,aswell as whammin water mellons/eagle eyes.

Why not do GSP grassy look?

Current Tank Info: starfire solana,AI sol,softie garden
deacon hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2008, 11:28 PM   #3
jeweldamsel
Registered Member

The unwanted brown zoas.

jeweldamsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2008, 08:56 AM   #4
hops523
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeweldamsel
The unwanted brown zoas.
+1. I have a colony of some brown zoas, some have dull orange centers, and others have brighter orange centers that have spead so much since Ive got them.

When I got those I also got some zoas that have orange skirts and a dull red center, so a little more "wanted", that havent grown much at all.

hops523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

tubbs blues grow very fast

these pink ones on the left spread really quickly when exposed to bright light alot of current and the occasional feeding of cyclops:

these also spread fast in those conditions, this bit of rock had 3 polyps on it about 6 weeks ago:

Skeptic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2008, 01:30 PM   #6
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

I don't mean to sound rude or smart mouth at all, but there is no such thing as h fastest growing zoanthid or palythoa. The fastest growers are the ones that proliferate the quickest in your particular system. Lighting, current, k value, nutrient level, type of make up water, tank maturity and parameters are the soul determining factors in polyp growth, not the polyps themselves. This has been proven many many times. What grows fast in my tank doesn't necessarily mean it will grow equally as fast in your tank, and maybe not at all and vice versa. I would advise you to buy something very colorful, low growing ( zoanthids ) which won't produce as much height and see what happens. If you are pleased with the look, I'd frag off a few 5 polyp frags and place them along the base of your tank and allow them to grow together, thereby giving you the look you desire. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck, Mucho Reef

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2008, 04:39 PM   #7
kware
Registered Member

Thanks everybody. I just love the look of those tanks with carpets of zoanthids all over the back glass and covering the sand. I have a 90 gallon tank. I recently swiched lights from a coralife pc fixture with zoanthids that meerely survived. Now I have 2 250 watt metal halide with 260 watts of actinic lights. Now all of a sudden I see new growth everyday. Watching the growth is what really intrests me. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. Mucho: thanks for the comment. I will take your advice. I just thought there was some zoas known for fast proliferation, but what you said makes sense. The growth of zoanthids is amazing thanks everybody.

Unread 08/13/2008, 01:09 AM   #8
reefturkey
Premium Member

For me it's ben eagle eyes. I started with 2 polyps and now I estimate I have 400+. This is in 7 months. Non of my other ones are even close.

Current Tank Info: 28g JBJ HQI Modified 250w hood, EVC 250w 20k with icecap ballast, Vortech MP20, Deltec mce300, Reefkeeper 2, JBJ Chiller, etc.
reefturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2008, 01:15 AM   #9
chalaco
Registered Member

I have done great with eagle eyes,its amazing how fast they
grew and there very pretty in color .

chalaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2008, 01:31 AM   #10
kware
Registered Member

reefturkey and chalaco : what are your tank conditions. Especially your lighting:?

Unread 08/13/2008, 03:25 PM   #11
reefturkey
Premium Member

I have a 28g JBJ HQI with a 20K radium bulb (150 w). I run a phosphate reactor and a deltec HOB skimmer. Everything is hooked up to a reefkeeper 2 including my chiller so the parameters are very constant. I use tropic marin pro salt and do water change once every 1.5 weeks. Back chamber has macro algae lit up at night when halides are off.

I have a Koralia 1, a tunze 6025, and 2 nano koralias in addition to the two return pumps that came with the tank. (these are all on the RK2's wavemaker). Zoanthids love flow.

I have 2 black pairs, 1 six line wrasse and a yellow watchman/shrimp combo.
I add kent marine Tech AB for calcium/Alkalinity. I dose kalkwasser once in a while. I feed the fish a little every day.
I really haven't tested parameters for a few months now but I'm pretty certain everything is good. percula
I add coral accel every day. (not sure if this is the reason but everything in my tank is growing mad) My SPS are getting a little out of control and It hasn't been a year yet with this tank. My 1 inch green tipped birdnest is now the size of a softball in 8 months. My orange/gray ricordia has split into 4 shrooms etc. etc.)
I would say good lighting, good flow and good skimming are the factors that have helped me get this growth.

Current Tank Info: 28g JBJ HQI Modified 250w hood, EVC 250w 20k with icecap ballast, Vortech MP20, Deltec mce300, Reefkeeper 2, JBJ Chiller, etc.
reefturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2008, 04:55 PM   #12
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by reefturkey
. I started with 2 polyps and now I estimate I have 400+. This is in 7 months. .
I cant even get aiptasia to grow that fast..........

flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2008, 04:43 AM   #13
chalaco
Registered Member

kware
I have a 40g . with 10k t5 and 20k MH.
I have a jbj power head for current.Refugium sump and I
use a red sea berlin skimmer.
I use coral life sea salt, an dose A&b every other week.
I keep my nitrates at 20ppm my zoas seem to like the H2O
a little dirty. My ph is at 8.2 and my salanity 1.025.
I have a yellow tang and a six line wrasse to help with algae&pests.My Zoas like the semi strong water flow and reproduce pretty fast. I am going to start using vitamin C to
see how it helps.

My zoas like the

chalaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2008, 11:09 AM   #14
lil_cheeks
Registered Member

I have heard someone mention Texes Trash zoas before....

lil_cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2008, 10:13 PM   #15
goldmaniac
Registered Member

bump for an interesting topic.

goldmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2008, 10:24 PM   #16
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Look at Seapug's "pics of the garden" thread here in this section. There are zoas mats of various colors in his tank. Maybe you'll see some that pop out to you more depending on what colors you like.

Unread 09/28/2008, 10:32 PM   #17
ZOAKEEPER
Zoa Trainer

flyyyguy
Quote:
I cant even get aiptasia to grow that fast..........
Thats a classic.........

Current Tank Info: All empty, all gone, sad...
ZOAKEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 08:58 PM   #18
dsubaru
Registered Member

I confirm as well.. The wonderful Brown zoas take off.. Go figure right. For example my Lunar Eclipse Paly's have quadrupled and the others have gained a few polyps here and there.

Quote:
Originally posted by jeweldamsel
The unwanted brown zoas.

dsubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 07:25 AM   #19
Timanator
Registered Member

I dont think there is an honest answer without going to a crap load of details for this question. For example, Dragon eyes and Lord of the Rings grows very slow in my tank, maybe a polyp every month or so, but they take off like weeds in my friends tank. kedds reds and Armegeddons takes off like a bat out of hell in my frag tank, but only mediocre in my main tank. The friend I mentioned above, Kedds reds will die in a few weeks when placed in his tank.

So maybe the answer is, under the right conditions, they can all pretty much be fast growers!

Timanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 07:31 AM   #20
jprince58
Premium Member

There is an inverse relationship between desirability and grow rate. The ones you don't want are the ones that will grow and multiply the fastest.

Jeff Prince

Current Tank Info: 72g bow mixed reef; 40g frag
jprince58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 01:49 PM   #21
650-IS350
Registered Member

Funny thing is the polyps you KEEP on STARING at doesn't seem to multiply as the polyps you don't pay attention too as much.

Its kind of like looking at the clock hoping it moves faster.. but it doesn't

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2008, 08:23 PM   #22
IFbettas
Registered Member

My radioactive dragon eyes and watermelons grow super fast, but as stated above, it the tank and not the variety.

Unread 09/30/2008, 09:41 PM   #23
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Does it seem to matter what color the zoas are? Like if they are zoanthids with more green pigmentation, will those typically grow faster than polyps with a reddish pigmentation to it, if they both have the same lighting and parameters as they are in the same tank? Or does color not really matter as far as growth?
Thanks.

Unread 10/01/2008, 07:42 AM   #24
goldmaniac
Registered Member

I've rarely heard of blue zoas multiplying quickly. Some reports of Tubs Blues taking off, but that's pretty rare, I'd say less than 1 in 10.

That could also easily be attributed to tank placement. From what I understand, nice, rich, deep blues need less light/lower placement, which in turn would inhibit fast growth rates. IF you put Tub's or other blue polyps in bright light, they may multiply but apparantly fade, and generally that's not wanted.

/ I own exactly 5 polyps (two kinds) of blue zoas, i'm no expert on blues.

Eric G.

goldmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 07:55 AM   #25
jprince58
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldmaniac
I've rarely heard of blue zoas multiplying quickly. Some reports of Tubs Blues taking off, but that's pretty rare, I'd say less than 1 in 10.
I agree. My Tubs Blues are easily the slowest growing, finickiest zoas we have. I've also had trouble with Eagle Eyes and Bam Bams, yet no problems at all with certain other zoas/palys that are supposedly more difficult. I've found success by moving them around within and between tanks to find a place the individual frags/colonies like best.

Jeff Prince

Current Tank Info: 72g bow mixed reef; 40g frag
jprince58 is offline   Reply With Quote