Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:16 AM   #26
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by MUCHO REEF
I don't mean to sound rude or smart mouth at all, but there is no such thing as h fastest growing zoanthid or palythoa. The fastest growers are the ones that proliferate the quickest in your particular system. This has been proven many many times. What grows fast in my tank doesn't necessarily mean it will grow equally as fast in your tank, and maybe not at all and vice versa. I would advise you to buy something very colorful, low growing ( zoanthids ) which won't produce as much height and see what happens. If you are pleased with the look, I'd frag off a few 5 polyp frags and place them along the base of your tank and allow them to grow together, thereby giving you the look you desire. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck, Mucho Reef

There is no color, size, collection area, named or unnamed correlation to growth spurt, proliferation ( growth rate ). Your tank, it's age and the variables listed above or the only determining factors which will dictate your rate or growth, expansion and color intensity. I read/saw recently of a vendor which actually tells you how many polyps you will have in X amount of days after being in your tank. No one but your system can say or make that determination. Tank conditions dictate and determine what you will have today, next month and how many.

Mucho Reef

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 08:40 AM   #27
jprince58
Premium Member

Quote:
There is no color, size, collection area, named or unnamed correlation to growth spurt, proliferation ( growth rate ).
Speaking for myself only, I was using names in my post to give folks an idea of specifically which zoas I was talking about. I wasn't trying to place any significance or correlation to "name vs. growth rate" other than from my own experience. Some grow like wildfire for me...others do not, no matter what I do. I got your point the first time.

Jeff Prince

Current Tank Info: 72g bow mixed reef; 40g frag
jprince58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 08:41 AM   #28
goldmaniac
Registered Member

Mucho, why repeating what you said on 8/12?

Your point is very clear, easily proven, and well established. Can you, however, acknowledge that there might be an inherent genetic growth rate that may differ from one type of zoa to another? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of types of zoa genus or sub-genus, species, whatever. There must be a different inherent growth rate between at least two of these.

I believe the question is trying to get at this root characteristic, and your comments appear to dismiss this idea.

Conditions (Nuture) probably have a majority of impact, but Genetics (Nature) surely plays some sort of role, if even only minor. Do you disagree?

From your reiterated point, I'm reading something parallel to saying "all [species of trees, grass, tomato plants] grow at the same rate." Am I incorrect?

goldmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 09:19 AM   #29
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

jprince58 , my response was a general one which included the Tubbs as I am seeing people say they grow fast and some say they grow slow. There is an explainable reason for this. If Tubbs grow fast in one system, and tank condition have nothing or little to do with growth rate, that those same Tubbs show grow at the same rate in most every system. There in lies the problem, they don't grow at the same rate in every system. I certainly wasn't attacking you my friend as that's not my style, I was just making a point of clarity, but most certainly not to offend you for mentioning the name. My apologies if I did.

Mucho

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 10/01/2008 at 09:52 AM.
Unread 10/01/2008, 09:26 AM   #30
pjbusby
Registered Member

I totaly agree, I can think of several ocasions when I have eyed pieces at the lfs for a month or two, looking for growth. Then I finally break down and bring them home and suddenly they seem to explode with growth.

http://www.fishybusiness1.com

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon reef
pjbusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 09:51 AM   #31
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by goldmaniac
Mucho, why repeating what you said on 8/12?

Your point is very clear, easily proven, and well established. Can you, however, acknowledge that there might be an inherent genetic growth rate that may differ from one type of zoa to another? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of types of zoa genus or sub-genus, species, whatever. There must be a different inherent growth rate between at least two of these.

I believe the question is trying to get at this root characteristic, and your comments appear to dismiss this idea.

Conditions (Nuture) probably have a majority of impact, but Genetics (Nature) surely plays some sort of role, if even only minor. Do you disagree?

From your reiterated point, I'm reading something parallel to saying "all [species of trees, grass, tomato plants] grow at the same rate." Am I incorrect?

Hello goldmaniac, I don't see any harm in repeating ones point of view. I hope my quoting it again was not offensive to anyone. It's one that I feel very strongly about and the notion that I hear from some is if a Blue Jupiter produced 5 new polyps in 2 weeks, that they will do the same for everyone else who has them. This is another myth that needs to be dispelled because so many new reefers have bought into the fact that they are going to have the same rate of growth in their new systems as the seller did in their mature systems.

I greatly respect your opinion and position on this topic but I have to respectfully disagree with it and I pressure no one to agree with me. I can agree that, "There are hundreds, if not thousands, of types of zoa genus or sub-genus, species, whatever. " If this is true, "There must be a different inherent growth rate between at least two of these", then we wouldn't see the consistency of concerns with reefers posting this on every sight on the net.

1. My tubbs won't grow
2. My tubbs grow much slower in my tank then they do in my neighbors tank next door.
3. My tubbs grow like crazy
4. My tubbs are very eradict with growth

If your theory is true, than surely there must be a polyp that everyone can buy and place in their tank and have the exact same growth rate. Would you agree? But this never happens nor have I ever heard, read or seen it happening. That doesn't make my position correct, but no one has ever witnessed this from any literature, experimentation etc that I've seen or heard of. There's a reasons why. The water in which these polyps are collected are stable with very little deviation. Food sources is nearly constant, the same with temp with exceptions of marginal seasonal changes. Flow/current are the same yet much more random and efficient than any system man can produce. Even lunar cycles play an important role in the proliferation of growth. If you take those polyps from the wild with "inherent growth rate between at least two of these." you should see parallel growth which is the same or are very similar in captivity.

"Conditions (Nuture) probably have a majority of impact, but Genetics (Nature) surely plays some sort of role, if even only minor. Do you disagree?"

I agree that genetics play a role in the propensity for one polyp over anothers growth, but that's genetics. If you place that same polyp in a system which is fairly new or maybe not new, with poor parameters or even a tank with good parameters but a marginally low salinity with KH too high or too low and that same polyp which has the genetic ability to rapidly exceed the growth of other polyps will never live up to its growth expectations. Change/adjust the environment, will result in a change in growth rate.

Respectfully, this is just my position and I hope we can agree to disagree my friend.

Mucho Reef

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 10/01/2008 at 10:00 AM.
Unread 10/01/2008, 10:08 AM   #32
jprince58
Premium Member

Quote:
jprince58 , my response was a general one which included the Tubbs as I am seeing people say they grow fast and some say they grow slow.
My apologies for, perhaps, being a little overly sensitive. I actually think we agree in that there are many, many factors that affect coral growth rate. My own experience, however, is that in my systems, Tubs do grow at a slower rate than certain other sub-species/variants/morphs. That's in MY systems. A local couple, however, supplies Tubs to the rest of us because they grow exceptionally well for them...under VERY intense lighting and fastidious cleaning, dosing, and fussing. It saddens me that I can't get the same results. Obviously, there is something about their tank conditions that Tubs respond more favorably to. Maybe they're just holding they're mouths right or something. One of my son's nanos is the same way. When we have something not doing so well in another tank, a few weeks in the nano and it's as good as new. Why? Don't know...don't care...it just works.

Jeff Prince

Current Tank Info: 72g bow mixed reef; 40g frag
jprince58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 10:10 AM   #33
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

No apology needed my friend.

Unread 10/01/2008, 10:39 AM   #34
goldmaniac
Registered Member

Quote:
... I greatly respect your opinion and position on this topic but I have to respectfully disagree with it and I pressure no one to agree with me. I can agree that, "There are hundreds, if not thousands, of types of zoa genus or sub-genus, species, whatever. " If this is true, "There must be a different inherent growth rate between at least two of these", then we wouldn't see the consistency of concerns with reefers posting this on every sight on the net.

1. My tubbs won't grow
2. My tubbs grow much slower in my tank then they do in my neighbors tank next door.
3. My tubbs grow like crazy
4. My tubbs are very eradict with growth

If your theory is true, than surely there must be a polyp that everyone can buy and place in their tank and have the exact same growth rate. Would you agree? But this never happens nor have I ever heard, read or seen it happening.

Respectfully, this is just my position and I hope we can agree to disagree my friend.

Mucho Reef
Mucho,

I enjoy the healthy discussion, and I try hard not to sound like a jerk in my posts. I hope I'm not missing my goal, here. I also hope my replies to your comments have displayed my respect for your husbandry skills and knowledge.

My question about repeating your 8/12 post was simply because this is [right now] a short thread and I wouldn't think comments would get lost in the subject material [yet]. that's all. It appeared that you took the time to reiterate when, for me at least, your point was clear and well-taken.

I must disagree with your understanding of my last comment, however, where I've quoted above. I do not think that there's some magic zoa out there that will perform equally, or even close to equally, in everyone's tank.

what I was trying to say is that some zoas may be genetically programmed to propogate more readily, so that in different tanks, some zoas will USUALLY grow faster than othes. I completely accept the idea that tank conditions drastically affect (effect?) growth, and in some conditions, the faster zoas in this example may actually be slower than others in some tanks due to overwhelming influence of environmental conditions.

The idea i'm trying to convey is that there must be some zoas that are inherently faster growers than most. that's all. Tank conditions will still influence the growth rates on these faster zoas just as much as any other zoa sub-genus/species.

Side note: there could also be the idea that some zoas are more adaptable to a wider variety of tank conditions, allowing healthy growth to be more common for a certain variety. Eagle Eyes seem to be an example of this; many reports of healthy propogation on Eagle Eyes aka Whammin Watermelons. But this feature is not what this thread is about, although I admit that "what's the fasted growing zoanthid?" is a very broad question and could envelop this notion.

Conversely, I was reading your point as ONLY tank conditions determine zoa growth, and I only questioned you on it after the 2nd post appeared (to me) to say this a 2nd time.

I'll stop now, as I don't want my rambling to reduce my point.

I think we may be closer to our point of view than initially believed.

Unread 10/01/2008, 10:41 AM   #35
goldmaniac
Registered Member

".we may be closer ON our POINTS of view than initially believed"

Unread 05/29/2018, 11:55 AM   #36
gentledental4u
Registered Member

so which ones are fastest? mohawks, palys, nuclear green, yellow polyps, button polyps

gentledental4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 12:59 PM   #37
gsechen
Registered Member

my rastas are the fastest growing for me, AOG's second

gsechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 04:20 PM   #38
Conchman
Registered Member

As some have said, different strokes for different tanks. Utter Chaos in my tank. 3 polyps to 20ish...trying to remember..maybe 4 months. Seems like 3 polyps or more a month. Also will always depend on initial frag size...larger the frag, sometimes faster the growth...

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2018, 05:08 PM   #39
TheGreatPuffer
Registered Member

The crappy weed brown ones.

TheGreatPuffer is offline   Reply With Quote