Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2011, 09:30 PM   #51
ibefishy
Moved On

WOW that eye looks painful, glad to hear you are doing better. My wife is still very upset about the $4500 ER bill I got from my tank. I think it was some zoas that I smashed with my hand that did it. I wasnt wearing gloves had a large cut on my hand smashed the same zoas twice while cleaning the glass. To make a long story short I had enough time to make 3 calls before I couldnt function any longer. Aside from violently throwing up and feeling like I should go toward the light because it would be easier, I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, put on every monitor there for almost 7 hours as I am told until I was somewhat cohereant. The Dr.s said it must have been some good drugs because they had never seen any thing like that. They didnt listen to my explanation as to what happened. They said that couldnt happen. My wife was more upset about the Dr.s accusing me of being a druggie and not listening to us and reading the info that she brought in than she was about the bill. But she was still very po'd about the bill. Hey $25 a month for the rest of my life , no interest, I can live with that.

ibefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2011, 04:10 PM   #52
novazul1
Registered Member

Now,that scary....

novazul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2011, 04:40 PM   #53
glenns
Registered Member

This should probably be here. Don't boil rocks with Paly on them

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/no...tore-near-you/

Current Tank Info: 90G w/20L Sump/Refugium, 6 T5 lights @54W ea., Reef Octopus EXT-PS-120, DSB/LR ,SPS, Derasa, GBTA, Zoo's, Fish, Inverts.
glenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 05:03 PM   #54
richpoolboy
Registered Member

M GO Blue!!!

richpoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2011, 05:06 PM   #55
TampaSnooker
Registered Member

Does anybody have a good recommendation as to what to wash up with after handling z's and p's? One poster said that he washed up with dishsoap and still had a reaction. I personally do dish soap followed by hydrogen peroxide. I don't know if the peroxide breaks down palytoxin or any of the laundrylist of bad chems that these polyps expel, but I've never had a bad reaction, even after getting goo in a cut. When I feel that sting, I've just flushed with peroxide and the pain ceased.

Unread 05/13/2011, 06:40 PM   #56
j-dizzle
Registered Member

Wow this is great to know! Thank you for sharing and I am glad to see you are doing better.

Unread 08/18/2011, 02:14 PM   #57
mroccoralman
Registered Member

Its amazing how zoas have that toxin. They also say that peoples dogs have died from eating a zoa that they had fragged and left it on the floor. Its crazy

mroccoralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2011, 06:35 PM   #58
ZoaLover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns View Post
This should probably be here. Don't boil rocks with Paly on them

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/no...tore-near-you/
It is good to know. The most deadliest toxin (stronger than the snake's poison) in your reef tank!! watch out...

ZoaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2011, 10:04 AM   #59
irrayoli
Registered Member

must be very careful ...
the other day with a scalpel cutting a gracilis Parazoanthus splashed me in the eye and I rinse with water and still I got very red eye.
the doctor sent me a few drops in two days and has regained its color.

irrayoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 06:53 AM   #60
ReeferInVt
Registered Member

Wow.... I had no idea about this. Glad I came across it.

ReeferInVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2011, 07:29 AM   #61
natesreef
Registered Member

WOW! im going to be a lot more careful now!

natesreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2011, 07:03 PM   #62
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferInVt View Post
Wow.... I had no idea about this. Glad I came across it.
Another thread to consider, FYI.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ng+the+dangers

Mucho Reef

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 07:32 PM   #63
mattman
Registered Member

That's some scary stuff. Just did the Dial rinse again.

mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 03:17 PM   #64
Kingpin616
Registered Member

A local feeder almost died and his family became very ill also. He ended up with blood in his lungs. ICU for a few days and hospitalized for a week. He was cleaning some rock with dead zoas with hot water. He did have eye protection and gloves but the steam from the water made the toxin go airborne. Worst case I have come across. There us no known cure they mainly treat symptoms.

Kingpin616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 10:54 PM   #65
TropTrea
Registered Member

I have heard stories that some of the toxins in these corals are strong enough to kill someone if they are injested. People who fragged corals then ate lunch without washing there hands. Not sure how true they were but it is enough to scare some of us.

The interesting thing is that these poisons vary in intensity and "effectiveness" with various zoos and plats. Zoos are suposedly less toxic however with all the designer zoos out there how many are actualy crosses with highly toxic plats? Often in the animal and plant kingdom they say bright colors are usualy a warning that an object is poisinious and to stay away. If this is true here just think we often try to get the brightest colors for zoos. In the process are we trying to grow the most poisinious varieties without realizing it.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 10:54 PM   #66
TropTrea
Registered Member

it double posted

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 12:12 PM   #67
FeTTo
Registered Member

This is good to know. I was gluing zoa frags the other day, and didnt realize im supposed to wash my hands. (reef noob) my eye on the inside has been all red, and irritated these past few days, I thought I had pink eye. Im betting this is related. Ive been flushing it and keeping it clean, patting it dry. its improved, and my vitamins help.

What do they recommend you wash your hands with? just soap and water? Do I need some special solution that helps better remove toxins?

FeTTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 01:34 PM   #68
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeTTo View Post
This is good to know. I was gluing zoa frags the other day, and didnt realize im supposed to wash my hands. (reef noob) my eye on the inside has been all red, and irritated these past few days, I thought I had pink eye. Im betting this is related. Ive been flushing it and keeping it clean, patting it dry. its improved, and my vitamins help.

What do they recommend you wash your hands with? just soap and water? Do I need some special solution that helps better remove toxins?

Good old hot soap and water will suffice. Anti-bacterial soap is good as well, just don't use the latter to much. Also, keep an eye on it, no pun intended. Often it is just salt water irritation or several other possibilities as listed in this thread and others in this forum.

Good luck.

Mucho

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 03/15/2012 at 01:44 PM.
Unread 03/28/2012, 09:54 PM   #69
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

FYI - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2117572

Unread 06/17/2012, 12:00 PM   #70
915MANG
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the information I had no clue that it was so serious. I wash my hands anyways, but i did not know all of this. Thanks for sharing, and glad that you are ok.

915MANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2012, 07:02 PM   #71
FlyingRev
Registered Member

Shame you had to go to U of M.

The Ohio State Medical Center would have known what you had and would have treated it.

FlyingRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2012, 08:58 PM   #72
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Wow !!!!

Unread 07/30/2012, 09:35 AM   #73
fishmanfabiano
Registered Member

hdey fellow fish geeks, my name is matt. anyway i make all the frags there myself and over the years ive had some real horror stories but these types of things happen when you work with wild animals and deadly organisms. ive been stung by lion fish which was painful and bit by piranahs and big morray eels which looked worse than it was, the fox face sting was 1 of the worst days of my life as my arm turned black and purple from the elblow to my finger tips and it felt like someone was holdiong fire to my arm for several hours it also made me dizzy and delerious. i have been attacked by large snakes and even a kinkajou which almost killed me as it bit into my neck and head trying to severe my spinal cord, and much much more, its not that im not careful its just that ive been doing it for 13 years and well accidents happen. but now down to my story of a horrible experience while fragging. i make roughly 100 frags a week at work and i have always worn heavy duty nitrile gloves while working as well as safty goggles. i have read many horror stories about people getting severly sick or even dying from corals so i try to take the necessary precautions. i now work with safety gloves, safety goggles, and an air purifying safety mask. the reason for the mask is because i was sub-fataly poisoned 1 day while making frags for about 6 hours. i didnt have any cuts on my hands and i wore the gloves, and it didnt get into my eyes because i was wearing goggles, what actually happened was i was working for so long cutting up so many colonies of zoos and palythoas that the poison known as palytoxica (which according to a recent article in coral magazine is known as the most deadly substance known to mankind) was slowly evaporating into the air. as i worked i was breathing in this poison a little at a time and by the time i got home i was ready to collapse and die....first my bopdy tempurature spiked to 102 degrees farenheight, although my body was hot and i was sweating like a marathon runner, i felt frozen. my teeth wouldnt stop chattering i put on 3 layers of clothing and jumped under 2 blankets. my body still just freezing. i then felt dizzy and got a bad headache, my stomache was in pain and i felt the urge to vomit although i never did. then the pain moved upward i felt slight stings throughout my chest cavity and then it got to my lungs. this is the part where i thought i was going to die. it felt like someone was grasping my lungs and squeezing them, i could hardley breath and my lungs felt like they were on fire every time i breathed in, i didnt even wanna breath because it hurt so much to. then i passed out. when i woke up i was completely fine. i did some research and it turns out i almost didnt make it that i was only missing a few more symtoms of fatal palytoxica poisoning which were, pins and needles feeling throuighout entire body, black urine, liver, heart, or kidney shut down. what happens is the palytoxica enters your blood stream and just goes to work, and its job is to kill every cell in sight. i highly reccomend protecting yourself as much as possible when working with fragging corals. wearing a gas mask and gloves can save your life.

Last edited by RokleM; 07/31/2012 at 05:48 PM.
fishmanfabiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2012, 02:04 PM   #74
Roadki11
Registered Member

Fishman, I read that same article and it kinda freaked me out, but really spiked my interest. I'll definitely be more careful with my tank.

So question for you guys. Any recommendations on gloves when working with your tank? I'm about to start fragging and wasn't sure if some types of gloves are harmful to the tank when reaching in, or if just any old latex glove is good enough.

Current Tank Info: working on a new tank since moving
Roadki11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 09:23 AM   #75
goofy reefer
Registered Member

wow I had no idea that the toxin in the zoas was so powerful thank for the info and glad everyones ok

goofy reefer is offline   Reply With Quote