Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Dratini
Registered Member

Good way to get rid of tiny Aiptasia?

Found a lil bugger on the bottom of live rock I picked up with a large colony of orange zoa on it. It's less than a quarter inch across. I've dealt with bigger ones before and would rather get rid of it now. Suggestions?

Unread 01/01/2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have had pretty good success taking a chunk of reef salt (you know when the salt gets a little moisture you can get a little chunk). If you stick that on the pest it should die (I don't think their cells do well with huge osmotic shifts).

5380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Steve Canyon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5380 View Post
I have had pretty good success taking a chunk of reef salt (you know when the salt gets a little moisture you can get a little chunk). If you stick that on the pest it should die (I don't think their cells do well with huge osmotic shifts).
I haven't heard of that approach before. My first impression is "why not?" Frankly, it sounds like a winner. I can't wait to read what those-in-the-know have to write.

Steve Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 08:49 PM   #4
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

when aiptasia's life is threatened it will combat this through releasing many ,many spores and thus spreading . stop aptasia works quite well if used properly as you have to stop all water movement first and for 15 minutes after use . when its applied you have to COVER THE ENTIRE MOUTH ORAFICE nothing less will work . less will kill the mother but she will release the spores that you will dread for years to come . if you have one pep shrimps may work and also a CBB will work if you can get him to live . i am lucky and have a resident CBB which i move from tank to tank monthly and he makes quick work of these pests but get some aptasiaX and READ the instructions COMPLETLY ! dont skimp on the stuff and kill that bugger off once and for all . smother it with aptasia X and he will be gone ! if you do it wrong and just sprinkle some around it you will find it will spread in self defense as i explained above .
i would think excess SG will only stress it in th ebegining and it too then will spread IMO .
good luck

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 09:23 PM   #5
toddmh
Registered Member

I put a little kalk paste in a test kit syringe and put a drop right in the middle,it's reflex is to close up around the kalk slurry and that seals it's fate..

1.Starry Blenny
toddmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 09:45 PM   #6
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

should work toddmh but it is much more reliable basically covering the entire mouth as i used to somewhat skimp and just feed a drop or two and they would close up and i was constantly battling it . after a couple years i started think back and it was killing the intended aptasia but down stream a bunch of babies would appear weeks later . then one day i actually read the instructions and they do want you to cover the entire mouth with it ,since then i kill one and there are no babies . between the aptasia x and my CBB its a rarity to find one in my tank but they are so tough to keep out 100% forever . anyone who states they have never had one is soooooooooo very lucky or simply not telling the truth .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 01/01/2011, 10:01 PM   #7
toddmh
Registered Member

I wonder if that is what is going on with me..I thought only the large apps release spores..But I am getting more and more now a days,it's getting quite annoying lol

I was thinking my next move is to get 3-5 peppermints and hope my coral banded shrimp wont eat them lol..

1.Starry Blenny
toddmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 10:20 PM   #8
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

not a coral banded shrimp, copper band butterfly's are the best if you can get one to acclimate well . mine does great as i had mentioned .they are rather difficult to get 100% gone . peppermint shrimp work usually but be sure and get true pep shrimps

Dave

Unread 01/01/2011, 10:30 PM   #9
SkiFletch
Registered Member

Pull the rock and burn it with a soldering torch or a butane cigar lighter. Can't release spores if it's a burned pile of goo

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef
SkiFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 10:40 PM   #10
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

your correct but i have been there too . when you pull out a rock with 38 heads of shrinking aptasia on it its impossible to get them all but yes you can try that too . still the natural way is best as if there is an animal in the tank that eats them they will be gone and you dont have to think about that anymore .

Dave

Unread 01/01/2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

whatever you do

I'd make the move to eradicate quickly- before it hides or reproduces

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 10:47 PM   #12
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

very good point Gary !

Dave

Unread 01/01/2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Ellery
Registered Member

Those Bergia Nudibranchs would work too if you can find them.

Current Tank Info: 125G SPS Reef+ 120G + 80 Shallow Frag + 40B LPS/Anemone + 12g Clam + 20L Nano + (30&40g)sumps
Ellery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 11:19 PM   #14
Dratini
Registered Member

I'm definitely going to try the aiptasia x. Does anyone know if ABC reefs in Syracuse carries it? Or perhaps Fairmount Aquarium?

Unread 01/02/2011, 06:20 AM   #15
Dave VG
Registered Member

One of my goals for my 40B was to keep it free of aptasia and was doing a good job until like you I bought some Z and P corals on live rock from another reefer. Only mine were LOADED with them and I mean loaded and of course it took a few days for them to come out and when they did I about crapped myself right there on the spot. A two inch round frag with about 5 or 6 good sized aptasia and that was only one frag… I had about 6 more frags the same way. Sorry for the rant and now my cure. I have been using straight lemon juice on them and it seems to work very well as long as you are sure to inject it into the aptasia. I use an insulin syringe the small needle works well. Do not skimp when injecting I think that’s the key and the puff of lemon juice you will see must kill the spores if released as mine don’t seem to be spreading. It’s been a few months and I can finally say at this point that I have a very good handle on it. Not saying I’m aptasia free but I have not seen one in weeks. Hope I just didn’t jinx myself lol. I have also had very good luck with aptasia X in the past. For the future I will now quarantine EVERY coral that goes into my tank for a week or two not just for aptasia but to be sure it’s free of all pests. Good luck to you.

Current Tank Info: 40B Display, 40B sump/fuge
Dave VG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2011, 06:30 AM   #16
Steve Canyon
Registered Member

CBB completely cleared my 150 on a matter of a few weeks.
Kleins took about 3 days to clear my 56.
Not a single one in either tank since. If one shows up in my 90, I put it in the 56 or a day or so. Problem solved.
The aptx, joes, lemon, etc was all temporary. They cost about the same, so why not go with the fish?
Some might say they acquire a taste for high end corals. I don't have any other than TT, so no worries for me on that concern.....

Steve Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2011, 08:45 AM   #17
sedorusc
Registered Member

I use some kalk paste. Did a pretty god job so far.

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon, ac70 fuge with nano-glo, 6 rb & 6 cw cree leds, 2x koralia nano
sedorusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2011, 09:31 AM   #18
MD Ocean Girl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dratini View Post
I'm definitely going to try the aiptasia x. Does anyone know if ABC reefs in Syracuse carries it? Or perhaps Fairmount Aquarium?
ABC Reefs should have it....that's where I bought mine from. Have used it multiple times with no bad results. Like others have said repeatedly, make sure to read the directions entirely and follow them completely. The only aiptasia I end up with now are if they come attached to a newly purchased coral frag or live rock.

Good luck!!!!

Diving into the ocean from the lakes....

Current Tank Info: 55g planted catfish tank, 10g mixed reef tank
MD Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote