Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Johny123
Registered Member

Reef dead...Nemo survived in 50degree temp. Help.

We recently had a really bad snow storm and lost power, I took my wife and kids out of town, but unfortunately the power stayed off for 5 days. On day 3 I came home, and almost everything in my 16gallon buocube was dead. Corals, fish...except one clownfish I raised from a tiny baby. He survived 3 days in sub 50degree temp with no aeration.

I quickly setup a quarantine tank and brought him to a neighbor with power, and put him and a barely living sea urchin in there. I thought they were both gonners, but finally today, 3 days after setting up the quarantine tank Nemo is eating! A really good sign.

What do I have to do to aid in his survival? This guy is a fighter and deserves a chance to live. My main tank now needs like 3-4 weeks to cycle. This quarantine tank is makeshift, never been cycled.

Any help would be great. I’m hoping he makes it...what an awsome story!!

409_C52_ED_CC69_4_A35_B554_8_D8_B594_F87_AD BE33545_B_0567_4_AEC_8452_0_A4667_FC5046

Johny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:40 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

You should get a ammonia alert badge so you can see when the water quality is starting to stray. You could put a rock or two from the DT that crashed to help aid in beneficial bacteria growth providing there isn't a lot of dying coral on them, and if they aren't already out of the tank.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 07:24 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Are you sure your main tank needs to cycle again? I bet that it doesn't. Bacteria can survive temperatures well below 50 degrees.

You could check by adding some ammonia, or even some food, and see how fast the tank processes the nitrogen.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Bent
I got nothin'

Man the power went out and you just flat out left the tank?

I couldn’t have done that.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post

I would have done the same thing! Can't have the wife and kids trying to survive without power.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:

Yeah. I thought I’d be back in like 24 hours. I have a 3yo and a 12month old. As selfish as I can be, I had to show my wife that I care more about my 12 month old some not being in a feezing cold house...than dealing with my fish tank. I made the right choice...I guess.

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Johny123
Registered Member

I have an ammonia badge. Also...what will the sea urchin eat? How do I know if my main tank is cycled again? I figured I had to wait the obligatory 3-4 weeks, do testing etc. a lot of things died in there that I’ll never be able to see or remove. Not just the coral...and fish...but the thousands of little creatures like brittle stars, snails, etc.

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:07 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The urchin can eat a sheet of nori.. or algae chips,etc...

You can easily check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels in the tank just like normal.
I too would expect little to no cycle or a very quick one if any..
Just keep monitoring each for a few days and post results here if you are unsure of how to interpret them..

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:08 AM   #9
journeyman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny123 View Post
Yeah. I thought I’d be back in like 24 hours. I have a 3yo and a 12month old. As selfish as I can be, I had to show my wife that I care more about my 12 month old some not being in a feezing cold house...than dealing with my fish tank. I made the right choice...I guess.
As much as we love this hobby, your wife and children absolutely come first. Don't second guess that ever.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:11 AM   #10
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The urchin can eat a sheet of nori.. or algae chips,etc...

You can easily check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels in the tank just like normal.
I too would expect little to no cycle or a very quick one if any..
Just keep monitoring each for a few days and post results here if you are unsure of how to interpret them..
Even after 5 days. 50 degree temp? How long do I wait to put Nemo and urchin back into main tank? If I don’t see any ammonia spikes. How do I know it cycled? My tank (prior to this) never measured a drop of amonia or nitrate after being cycled for an entire year. I kept it prestine.

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:26 AM   #11
nereefpat
Registered Member

"Cycled" means that the tank has enough bacteria to process ammonia into nitrate. Again, I would bet that your bacteria aren't dead.

Clean out the dead. Do a big water change. Post your numbers here.

I would bet your display will be ready much sooner then you think...like almost immediately.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:30 AM   #12
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:

Years ago, when my now 16 year old was only 16 months old, we lost power for several days in a snowstorm. My wife had just left town for a conference. I managed to score a kerosene heater from HomeDepot, and was able to keep the temp in part of my house in the low sixties. I also kept the tank temp up by heating water on a camp stove and floating containers of heated water in the tank. My wife still brings up this story occasionally to demonstrate the extremes I'll go to for my tank -- I prefer to remember it as one of the first adventures my son and I shared together! (Our most recent shared "adventure" was a great three days together in New Orleans last summer for MACNA.)

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
"Cycled" means that the tank has enough bacteria to process ammonia into nitrate. Again, I would bet that your bacteria aren't dead.

Clean out the dead. Do a big water change. Post your numbers here.

I would bet your display will be ready much sooner then you think...like almost immediately.
I replaced all the water. It was putrid from the dead coral. The heater has been running for 24 hours. I’ll post numbers todsy

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
Years ago, when my now 16 year old was only 16 months old, we lost power for several days in a snowstorm. My wife had just left town for a conference. I managed to score a kerosene heater from HomeDepot, and was able to keep the temp in part of my house in the low sixties. I also kept the tank temp up by heating water on a camp stove and floating containers of heated water in the tank. My wife still brings up this story occasionally to demonstrate the extremes I'll go to for my tank -- I prefer to remember it as one of the first adventures my son and I shared together! (Our most recent shared "adventure" was a great three days together in New Orleans last summer for MACNA.)
That’s kind of the shenanigans I was referring to. Lol

Sounds exactly like something I would do.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 09:21 AM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
My tank (prior to this) never measured a drop of amonia or nitrate after being cycled for an entire year. I kept it prestine.
I don't expect any tank to show ammonia past the first few weeks of the cycling process..

You can ghost feed your tank now (a pinch or so of food each day) and if after a couple days you start to see a rise in ammonia then you just need to wait..
If not the tank is likely still cycled..

You can also just go get some ammonia and dose the tank up to 1ppm or so.. If after 24 hours its gone.. The tank is good to go..

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:45 AM   #16
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I don't expect any tank to show ammonia past the first few weeks of the cycling process..

You can ghost feed your tank now (a pinch or so of food each day) and if after a couple days you start to see a rise in ammonia then you just need to wait..
If not the tank is likely still cycled..

You can also just go get some ammonia and dose the tank up to 1ppm or so.. If after 24 hours its gone.. The tank is good to go..
While I am no expert, I’d wager there is enough dead stuff in there to cover my amonia. I can physically see a very small dead brittle star that appears to be decaying, and I physically can’t retrieve it.

Unread 03/14/2018, 11:02 AM   #17
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

I went through the same thing years ago. No power and tank died at low temps for 5 days. My temps dropped to around 50 and I actually had some star polyps and zoanthids make it through. From what I remember there was no cycle afterwards, maybe a day of higher ammonia.
Considering it’s just a 16 gallon tank I would pump the water out into a tub and put your rock in there. Vacuum the sand bed if necessary to remove any dead stuff you may not even realize was in there. I found two pretty big crabs in mine afterwards that I had no clue were in the tank. Rinse the rock off with saltwater and replace the rock and put fresh saltwater in. The bacteria will have survived and I highly doubt you will get a cycle. Just have enough water ready for a couple of massive water changes just in case because you may still have some die off.

As far as the clown, they’re tough fish. I have seen that some people have cycled tanks with them, which I am not recommending nor condone, but they are in the damsel family and people have done it. I have seen a neglected tank with almost a third of its water evaporated with a pair of clowns still swimming and eating and I have no clue how they were surviving in water with the salinity that high, not to mention what the water quality must have been with all the die off from that. If yours started eating then it will likely be ok. What I would worry about is the urchin dying and causing an ammonia spike. Keep that closely monitored and I would expect you will have your clown back in your display in a day or two, then monitor that water quality closely for a week or so.

This is all of course what I would do from the beginning. It may be overkill, especially since you have already replaced all of the water, but a dead gorilla crab under a rock can take a while to rot. Better to check it out to me.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 11:07 AM   #18
Sk8r
RC Mod

QT's don't have to cycle to be healthy water. Just change out the filter floss every time it shows a brown stain. Blue-white filter pad is ok and cheap. You might get some Selcon and put a drop on his food. Feed him copepods (dried is ok) and frozen mysis and just watch his salinity. He's a damsel, and they're tough as nails.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 11:09 AM   #19
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
I went through the same thing years ago. No power and tank died at low temps for 5 days. My temps dropped to around 50 and I actually had some star polyps and zoanthids make it through. From what I remember there was no cycle afterwards, maybe a day of higher ammonia.
Considering it’s just a 16 gallon tank I would pump the water out into a tub and put your rock in there. Vacuum the sand bed if necessary to remove any dead stuff you may not even realize was in there. I found two pretty big crabs in mine afterwards that I had no clue were in the tank. Rinse the rock off with saltwater and replace the rock and put fresh saltwater in. The bacteria will have survived and I highly doubt you will get a cycle. Just have enough water ready for a couple of massive water changes just in case because you may still have some die off.

As far as the clown, they’re tough fish. I have seen that some people have cycled tanks with them, which I am not recommending nor condone, but they are in the damsel family and people have done it. I have seen a neglected tank with almost a third of its water evaporated with a pair of clowns still swimming and eating and I have no clue how they were surviving in water with the salinity that high, not to mention what the water quality must have been with all the die off from that. If yours started eating then it will likely be ok. What I would worry about is the urchin dying and causing an ammonia spike. Keep that closely monitored and I would expect you will have your clown back in your display in a day or two, then monitor that water quality closely for a week or so.

This is all of course what I would do from the beginning. It may be overkill, especially since you have already replaced all of the water, but a dead gorilla crab under a rock can take a while to rot. Better to check it out to me.
Great advice. I had a lot of brittle stars in there. No crabs that I was aware of but who knows. Let’s say I put the clownfish back in a day or two. What should I do with the sea urchin? He’s alive and well in the quarantine tank.

Unread 03/14/2018, 11:18 AM   #20
Sk8r
RC Mod

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...7#post25389567

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:40 PM   #21
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
as much as we love this hobby, your wife and children absolutely come first. Don't second guess that ever.

Sent from my sm-g935t using tapatalk
+1

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 03:14 PM   #22
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Great advice. I had a lot of brittle stars in there. No crabs that I was aware of but who knows. Let’s say I put the clownfish back in a day or two. What should I do with the sea urchin? He’s alive and well in the quarantine tank.
If he’s alive and eating/moving about like normal I would put him back in as long as water quality of good. Inverts can’t tolerate as high of nitrates as fish can.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 04:29 PM   #23
stuccodude
Registered Member

i had a clown disappear and about 2 years later i tore the tank down and he was in the overflow still alive and very pale, strong fish.

Current Tank Info: 240 all the goodies,hydra 26 led lights, chiller etc
stuccodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:23 PM   #24
Conigs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
QT's don't have to cycle to be healthy water. Just change out the filter floss every time it shows a brown stain. Blue-white filter pad is ok and cheap. You might get some Selcon and put a drop on his food. Feed him copepods (dried is ok) and frozen mysis and just watch his salinity. He's a damsel, and they're tough as nails.
Why do you have to do this?

Conigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:35 PM   #25
hersheyb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conigs View Post
Why do you have to do this?
You can get away without a cycle on a quarantine because the bioload is minimal... a small clown and an urchin is not going to produce much waste. You can control the ammonia and nitrate level by doing water changes whenever needed.

hersheyb is offline   Reply With Quote