Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Fringe09
Registered Member

Question Number of Cleanup Crews

Hello fellow reefers. Never had cleanup crews before. I discovered Reef Cleaners where they sell "Cleaner Packages". I picked a cleaner package that is similar to the size of my tank.

That package contains the following:

170 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

46 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

50 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

40 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

40 Assorted Hermits - A mix of smaller to medium hermit crab species, including red legged, left-handed, jade, white claw and blue leg hermit crabs. These hermits are omnivores, that will feed on leftover food, filamentous (hair) algae and some species of cyanobacteria (cyano).

It seem like a WHOLE lot of cleaners. Is this too much?

Fringe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2017, 11:30 AM   #2
manfrog
Registered Member

Seems like ahell of a lot.
How big is your tank?

manfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Fringe09
Registered Member

200 gallons total. 160 display and 40 sump. 71" L x 23.6" H x 25.6" W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fringe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 10:30 AM   #4
jayball
Registered Member

Keep in mind the dwarf ceriths are much smaller than you think. You could hold the 170 of them in the palm of your hand.

Important question here is how old is your tank? If it is still new you may run into an issue of many of them starving and dying shortly after they get there causing an algae outbreak.

If it were me I would skip the package and go with Nassarius, Nerite(they are not joking about long lived), and scarlet hermits. A couple brittle start are nice to look at too.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote