Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2017, 06:22 PM   #1
marioensf
Registered Member

Red Dragon DIY volute?

Wondering if anyone has taken to the task of DIY a Red Dragon volute with today's 3D printing technology?
I was informed that making one on a 3D printer would be just as good as the original but I'm not familiar with, nor have access to such tech.
Thanks

marioensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Legot
Registered Member

Why? Are you looking to improve on an existing part, make a differently functioning part, or just make a replacement?

It's certainly a simple task, super simple design and a pretty straightforward print, but if you're just looking to replace something it would be easier to just buy a replacement part (since you don't already have access or prior experience with it).

Unread 09/01/2017, 10:57 PM   #3
marioensf
Registered Member

Have a motor block, need the volute so I can have my skimmer working again.
I can't afford a new one from the retailer.

Unread 09/01/2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Legot
Registered Member

Since you're in San Francisco you have a lot of makerspaces in your area. They all have printers that would get the job done. I suggest going to one of those (Techshop and Noisebridge come to mind) and ask if someone can help you model and print one (either do it for you or teach you, I suggest the latter). Offer to pay them, please.

At these places people are usually willing to help with cool projects for nothing, but 3d modeling is actually really expensive work in industry, so it's nice to offer them something.

Unread 09/02/2017, 12:42 AM   #5
Legot
Registered Member

Since you're in San Francisco you have a lot of makerspaces in your area. They all have printers that would get the job done. I suggest going to one of those (Techshop and Noisebridge come to mind) and ask if someone can help you model and print one (either do it for you or teach you, I suggest the latter). Offer to pay them, please.

At these places people are usually willing to help with cool projects for nothing, but 3d modeling is actually really expensive work in industry, so it's nice to offer them something.

Unread 09/02/2017, 02:20 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

What skimmer is this for? What happened to the original volute? Whoever told you that a 3D printed one is mistaken unless they figured you had the original CAD/CNC image on hand. There is much more to the volute than meets the eye on the RD's. The Red Dragon volutes are CNC machined from PVC. The inside of the volute is hand ported and the internal volute proportions/volute and shape of it is specific to the impeller as different skimmers use different impellers. If the volutes internal proportions don't match the impeller size, you won't get proper performance from the pump. Same with the shape of the inside of the volute. Then there is the adjustable nozzle that is typical for the Red Dragons found on the Double Cones, Supermarins, Deluxe skimmers and Vertex Alpha skimmers which is critical for proper fine tuning. Without having the correct volute on hand or without the proper design, it will never perform as good as it should.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 06:19 PM   #7
marioensf
Registered Member

Few years back I had to quit the hobby, hard personal reasons... I got rid of a lot of stuff, some I gave away, some I sold and some plain went to the trash or recycling bin.
As on another thread I started, I'm in need of a replacement pump for an Alpha 200 but I cannot afford a new volute/impeller assembly much less a new pump.
I might make the volute, since I can temporarily access and take apart a RD pump, measure and acquire the materials. I'm planning on using Enkamat.
It has become a DIY challenge now.

Unread 09/15/2017, 08:18 AM   #8
JoeMomma
Registered Member

The replacement pump for the Alpha 200 is just a Laguna 1350. I replaced mine after it die on me after 10 years of use. Retailers sell even just the motor block. You don't need to whole package for the 1350.

JoeMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 09:24 AM   #9
marioensf
Registered Member

Yeah, I checked that; the block is not the issue but the volute. Having some friends helping with the DIY. It will be done one way or another.