Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2017, 03:29 PM   #1
jcase
Registered Member

120g LED options?

I have a 120g saltwater tank built into the wall of my house with a room behind it and a sink. I'm looking for lighting suggestions. I was running the flip top lids with 3 sections spanning the top of the tank for a width of 72 inches. Which are topped with 2 x 3ft duel T30 florescent bulbs.

I would like to keep the 3 flip top sections but install LED lights. I could remove the the tops and have it open top but would prefer not to.

I'm looking at Steve' LED SPS light system

I currently have a 29g biocube that I'm running nanobox retrofit LED's and I've been happy with that setup running the Bluefish controller.

I'm considering the bluefish with Steve's LED or maybe the controller interface to be able to control it with the APEX controller.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

jcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

Is you reasoning for keeping the glass lids for evaporation or keeping stuff from falling into the tank or keeping fish from jumping?

The one thing you need to consider is any light that passes thru any type of glass it will be filtered and less effective.

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 02:14 PM   #3
jcase
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.... I could remove the top... what lights would be recommended?

Unread 11/18/2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

The lights that you linked look nice and I have not heard to many complaints about Steve's. The only issue I see if they only use blue and white in the standard configuration. I would opt for for a custom configuration my favorite is 20K but I like a really blue tank. Now what seams to be a good choice is the 14K if you like that color spectrum. Controllable is always nice as you can dial in the color better to your liking and intensity is a must...

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 06:29 PM   #5
jcase
Registered Member

Thank you very much, I ended up going with 2x MarsAqua 300w

Unread 11/22/2017, 06:58 AM   #6
pleasants9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Thank you very much, I ended up going with 2x MarsAqua 300w
^This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Let me know if you feel 2 are enough? I am thinking the same light system for my upcoming 120.

pleasants9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 07:50 AM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

The MarsAqua do not have built in timers the last time I checked. An alternative is the Viparspectra reef LED with controllable dimmers on both channels and timers for each as well.

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-...arspectra+reef