Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2014, 09:17 PM   #101
brandoniscool
Registered Member

There has been an explosion of questions from Mrs Perez's students about her new tank.

mrrutherfordisawesome.weebly.com/reef-system

Current Tank Info: Mix Reef

Last edited by brandoniscool; 04/08/2014 at 09:25 PM.
brandoniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 09:18 PM   #102
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Lizabeth is referring to the large orange tree sponge in the tank.

Unread 04/08/2014, 09:20 PM   #103
brandoniscool
Registered Member

The large brittle star has fascinated the students. I can't wait to show them how to feed it shrimp. They are concerned that it's 'hiding' in the back if the tank.

Unread 04/08/2014, 09:21 PM   #104
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Derek has been hash tagging a lot of aquarium concepts in his writing and now apparently his own name.

Unread 04/08/2014, 09:22 PM   #105
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Unread 04/08/2014, 09:24 PM   #106
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Cycling of new tank is definitely progressing. Can't wait to move more stock in.

Unread 04/08/2014, 09:27 PM   #107
ReeferKimberly
Marley & Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoniscool View Post

Derek has been hash tagging a lot of aquarium concepts in his writing and now apparently his own name.
Hi Derek! There are several kinds of starfish we can have in our reef aquariums. There are some that do eat coral though so we will want to avoid those. Here are some stars we consider "reef safe".

Sand Sifting Starfish. Many people have these to stir up their sand bed and keep it healthy.

Blue Linkia. These ones are pretty safe but may eat some sponges. They are very delicate though and need a very healthy tank.

Orange Linkia. These are also very delicate.

Chocolate Chip Starfish. These guys are best kept in tanks with only fish as they can eat some corals and other smaller animals.

Those are just some of the starfish people like to keep in aquariums. All stars are different and have different diets so we have to be careful to research what kind of things they eat and make sure we don't get any kinds that eat things we don't want them too. Some stars are way more easy going that others too, and some need very large tanks to keep them happy.

Last edited by ReeferKimberly; 04/08/2014 at 09:37 PM.
ReeferKimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2014, 06:52 AM   #108
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Lizabeth is referring to the large orange tree sponge in the tank.
Hello Lizabeth

The orange plant sure looks like a tree doesn't it?

In fact it as a type of tree, an orange tree sponge. It is not a plant, but a living animal! There are many types of sponges in the Gulf of Mexico. This grows near my aquaculture site in the Gulf of Mexico and I collect them from the bottom of the ocean when I am also harvesting the live rock! You can identify more things that I sent for your classroom tank here

http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2014, 12:35 PM   #109
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
There has been an explosion of questions from Mrs Perez's students about her new tank.

Hi Alexandra -

No, you can't keep a goldfish in a seawater tank. Goldfish are members of a family of fishes called Carp, and they are usually freshwater fish. Some goldfish keepers do use a little bit of salt in their tank water because goldfish prefer hard, alkaline (basic) water. But the recommended amount of this salt is way, way below the amount of salt that seawater has in it.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2014, 12:45 PM   #110
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Cool your third grade fish tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sanab922 View Post
This is awesome! I had something similar back when I was in third grade as well. Great learning experience!

Hi, my name is Jenna. I am in Mr.Rutherfords third grade class and I bet the reef tank in your third grade sounded cool i was wondering if you remembered any thing about it? Like what corals were in it or how many fish you had if you could get back to me that would be great because I have only gotten 3 reply's before

-Jenna

Unread 04/09/2014, 12:48 PM   #111
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Talking Epis octopuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Here are some more cool creatures. You can see the tiny baby octopi or octopuses that are one day old and about as big as an ant. They hunt small fish and shrimps and when they wrestle with it, they shoot a little squirt of ink to confuse whatever it is they are wrestling with.

Hi, my name is Alex (the punny dude).You can call me fuzzy. Those little octopuses look whoops, accidentally pressed enter! O.K., as I was saying, they look pretty epic.(Epic is my word).So, do those octopuses make it hard for you to feed them or do they eat other things in the tank? It sounds pretty dangerous to hear that they eat a ton of meat.O.K.

Im interested in knowing the things about octopuses

Last edited by brandoniscool; 04/09/2014 at 01:03 PM.
Unread 04/09/2014, 12:51 PM   #112
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Epic

Hi my name is Soren I am in Mr. Rutherford's third grade class.We have two classrooms in our school that have tanks in them.I have a question about sponge crabs.What body part do they use to cut the sponge off to use it for there shell.And why do they not use hard shell.Dose the hard shell damage there body.

Last edited by brandoniscool; 04/09/2014 at 01:31 PM.
Unread 04/09/2014, 01:25 PM   #113
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Lightbulb My idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozwey View Post
I am not sure if this is possible but I would like to pay for a premium membership for brandoniscool. If it is, could someone let me know how?
Hi I'm Ashton and I would think that this would be cool but i'm not sure,

k

Unread 04/09/2014, 01:41 PM   #114
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
So, do those octopuses make it hard for you to feed them or do they eat other things in the tank? It sounds pretty dangerous to hear that they eat a ton of meat.O.K.
Fuzzy, Those tiny octopi eat tiny food such as amphipods which are like tiny shrimp and they are very common. As the octopi get larger, they eat larger things like small crabs and shrimp. Crabs are an octopus favorite food and they can stick the tips of their arms all the way into crab legs to suck out the meat.

Quote:
I have a question about sponge crabs.What body part do they use to cut the sponge off to use it for there shell.And why do they not use hard shell.Dose the hard shell damage there body.
Soren, good question. A sponge crab is a hard shell crab, they just call it a sponge crab because it rips apart pieces of sponge with it's claws and the crab has tiny hooks all over it's body that it sticks the pieces of sponge on it's body.
They do that to hide from fish (and Octopus) that would eat them.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2014, 03:32 PM   #115
brandoniscool
Registered Member

This is Sherell, how can you tell the gender? do you look at there belly's and see how big it is and tell if it is a female or just a male or sometimes a baby. if the seahorse is small. i could tell if it is a baby seahorse just by looking at it. i can even see if it is a baby from far far away because there so small. potbelly seahorses are easy to tell because females have big belly and males don't.

what do you think?
Here's a picture of me

Unread 04/09/2014, 05:19 PM   #116
Paul B
Premium Member

Sherell, male seahorses have a pouch that is usually a darker color and looks a little different from the rest of the belly. Females don't have anything noticeable.

Quote:
Here's a picture of me
You look like a handsome man who may become a marine biologist.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2014, 07:52 AM   #117
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello.This is Giniah again asking about the most remakable fish you had.The most remakable fish in my tank is the three brittle stars we have.They are really hard to feed you need a special to feed it.Thank You!We have also gotten donations from other reef companies,by sending letters to all of the companies.Once more,Thank You!
Hello again Giniah!

It was many years ago so it's hard to remember everything but I remember having a pair of beautiful clownfish. And in another tank that was not with a reef, we had triggerfish (these are one of my favorites).
Brittle stars are really cool! Glad your class is enjoying them.

G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2014, 08:05 AM   #118
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, my name is Jenna. I am in Mr.Rutherfords third grade class and I bet the reef tank in your third grade sounded cool i was wondering if you remembered any thing about it? Like what corals were in it or how many fish you had if you could get back to me that would be great because I have only gotten 3 reply's before

-Jenna
Hi Jenna,

yes it was very cool! Don't remember everything but the fish not from our area, like the tangs and clownfish we got from the local fish store. Most of the fish and coral was from our area, The Florida Keys, our teacher and others from the area would go out and catch different things for our tank that we are allowed to catch.
There is about 50 different species of fish here on just one of our reefs. So we definitely had a good variety of different species of fish and corals.

Unread 04/10/2014, 08:08 AM   #119
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Sherell, male seahorses have a pouch that is usually a darker color and looks a little different from the rest of the belly. Females don't have anything noticeable.

You look like a handsome man who may become a marine biologist.
I agree, future marine biologist! Good questions Sherell

Unread 04/10/2014, 01:49 PM   #120
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Hello. My name is Lyons. My question today is about what kind of creatures live in the very bottom of the sea where there is no light. I am asking this because if there ever was a shipwreck we can be prepared. I also am asking this question because then scientist can learn the deep and find out what lives down there. Then we can also can make submarine so that the submarine doesn't get crush.

My favorite thing in my aquarium is how cool the fish moves though the water. And how the fish gets fed. And hides. And swim.

Thank you
and
sincerely,Lyons

Unread 04/10/2014, 01:52 PM   #121
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Hello. My name is Lyons. My question today is about what kind of creatures live in the very bottom of the sea where there is no light. I am asking this because if there ever was a shipwreck we can be prepared. I also am asking this question because then scientist can learn the deep and find out what lives down there. Then we can also can make submarine so that the submarine doesn't get crush.

My favorite thing in my aquarium is how cool the fish moves though the water. And how the fish gets fed. And hides. And swim.

Thank you
and
sincerely,Lyons

Unread 04/10/2014, 01:53 PM   #122
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Thank you
and
sincerely,Lyons

Unread 04/10/2014, 02:05 PM   #123
clay12340
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you
and
sincerely,Lyons
This is a very good question, and while many interesting animals have been found in the deep oceans it is a mostly unexplored area. We know more about the moon than what is at the bottom of our oceans. Maybe you'll be the one to discover something new down there in the future.

Here is a really neat list on the National Geographic site.
I like this one:Fangtooth Fish
It's been found as deep as 5,000 meters and has the longest teeth of any fish compared to their size.

clay12340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2014, 12:29 PM   #124
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hi my name is Soren I am in Mr. Rutherford's third grade class.We have two classrooms in our school that have tanks in them.I have a question about sponge crabs.What body part do they use to cut the sponge off to use it for there shell.And why do they not use hard shell.Dose the hard shell damage there body.
Hi I'm Ashton, you know me. The crabs use there claws and they try to hide it not use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_________________________________________________________________ __

Unread 04/11/2014, 12:42 PM   #125
brandoniscool
Registered Member

Question

Hi I'm Ashton and I was wondering what this thing does and how it lives?

Click on the link to see.

http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/im...aper_6u62r.jpg

Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by brandoniscool; 04/11/2014 at 12:49 PM.