Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Closed loop pump slaved with wave box?

Hello!

I have the smaller Tunze wave box on my 180 tall tank, and love it. I'm getting about a half inch high wave. I'm planning to replace my way-too-loud closed loop pump. I was wondering if I could purchase a Tunze pump to replace it, and set it up as a slave to the wave box, so it would surge in synch with the wave pump, thus giving me a little bigger wave.

I'm looking for something in the 2000gph range and very quiet. Anything you'd recommend?

Thank you!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2020, 12:49 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would generally suggest having a directional current as a basic current in the tank with a wave and not wave only. The 6095's are around 2100 gph. For a 180 my general suggestion is 2 6105's and a wavebox. If this was more of a soft coral and LPS focused tank, 2 6095's could work as well.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks for the quick reply, Roger!

However I'm not completely clear on your meaning. Could you explain your first sentence? It sounds like you are suggesting the 6095 and 6105 pumps, so either of these can be slaves to my wave box?

My tank is a seagrass/macro lagoon tank, so I'm not looking for a reef crest amount of current - more of a relatively gentle circulation that could include a synchronized (with the wave box) pulse, that might increase my wave height a little.

I appreciate your suggestion of two pumps, but I really just want one, so I can plug it in to my closed loop plumbing.

Thanks again!

Unread 01/03/2020, 02:05 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would just let the wavebox work alone and set up two pumps to replace the closed loop for just a standard directional flow. Adding a pump to the wavebox will result in fairly limited gains and a wave is nice for a lift and suspend action, but you need something wit direction to sweep the detritus away to the overflow/ filter. I also keep turtlegrass, my tank is a 265 and I use a wavebox and 3 6150's. For what you are doing, 2 6095's or 6105s (you would just turn them down and alternate which one is at full power) would work best. The wavebox will just do what it is doing now on its own.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 01/03/2020, 02:34 PM   #5
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I appreciate your suggestions, but you never answered my question. So I'll ask again: Does Tunze make an external circulation pump that can be slaved to my wave box?

I have no visible pumps or plumbing in my tank, and I plan to keep it that way. I don't expect to get a huge gain on wave height. I don't need detritus swept away. It settles out just fine, where it is processed by my cast-of-thousands detrivore crew.

Unread 01/06/2020, 08:51 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Sorry, for the confusion. We only have one DC return pump, 1073.050, it is not particularly strong, about 500 gph at 4ft and would not contribute much to a wave, additionally by default this pump has no connection for another controller and has only a very basic speed control. You can replace the controller with a 7090.500 and add this functionality.