Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2014, 11:21 PM   #1
katekate087
Registered Member

90 gallons on the second floor?

Ok this might sound stupid but I'm moving into an apartment on the second floor and I'm really worried about my tank. First off the lease states that they do not permit anything over 20gls.... I'm going to play dumb and hope to not get caught with it. They say there are no unscheduled pop ins... So we'll see. I'm also SUPER afraid that it's going to fall though the floor and kill people. Hahaha I know that chance is very slim but I'm really worried about it! Does anyone have any advice? Ps I need to upgrade because my tang is a little cramped in my 60gl cube display.

60cube- 30long refuge/sump

katekate087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 12:24 AM   #2
State_of_Mind
Registered Member

That's a fabulous plan of yours...going to be hard to carry that thing up in there especially with nobody noticing . I had a 90 gallon on my second floor house and we asked the makers of the house, they said it would support the weight but to put it along a wall that is the edge of the house where there's the most support. It depends on how your apartment was built and how old it is. With a 90 gallon there's many changes for spilling or the sump overflowing that doesn't seen worth the hassle to pay for if it somehow were to "fall through the ceiling". They have a set rule at 20 gallons for a good reason and it's risky to go 70 gallons above it, but maybe there's a clan of apartment rule breaking aquarists out there. Anyway, good luck, and yes if put on the outer edge, I'm sure it can hold the weight.

State_of_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 01:09 AM   #3
StaySalty
Registered Member

I agree with stateofmind, if the thought of a 90 gallon tank falling through ceiling even crossed my mind, there's no way I'd set it up. Whether or not it will actually hold depends on the structure, foundation, etc. of the building. Also take into account if the building is really old. If they set it at 20, i would go by that guideline.

StaySalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 01:45 AM   #4
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

As a landlord as well as a renter here is my take.

-No unscheduled pop ins doesn't mean there is no informed 24 or 48 hour visits.
-Those informed visits will happen especially if there is a suspect violation. (1st floor tenants report something "fishy" like seeing you haul in a big fish tank.
-Most states have a 14 day eviction law for any lease violations favorable to landlords.
-The house may not collapse even if you get away with setting it up, but most landlords have their properties inspected and given limits and liabilities before they rent to anybody so they are aware of the possibilities and set their leases accordingly.
-I had a no water bed clause in one of my property leases and a tenant put one up anyway on the 2nd floor. The house was over 60 years old and I was not aware it was up until there was a small leak of less than 20 gallons and it warped the floor joists. He was evicted and I won a civil suit for almost 40k for damage and repairs which he has been paying for the last 8 years via payroll deduction.
-Push your luck if you want and I hope it doesn't catch up with you. Apartments are for getting on your feet and saving to buy your own home. One screw up or risk and 40k+ could be deducted from your paycheck over the next 15+ years to pay your previous landlord.
-That renter to this day does not own his own house and will be paying me for at least another 5 years.

I personally think your playing with fire over a fish tank.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 2-20L QT, and a 20 gallon tall octogon tank waiting to be setup for a seahorse tank.
Sn8kbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 02:35 AM   #5
gardy
Registered Member

also keep in mind that the limit may not be set by the apartment owner, but by their insurance company as well, also any renters insurance you have could be voided by violating the apartments terms, thus making any damages, if they were to happen, come straight out of pocket. I cant speak from experience to how much water damage can cost but im sure there are plenty of people here that can attest to it.

gardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 05:24 AM   #6
Pife
Registered Member

Think I would find another apartment. Maybe something in the basement?

Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 05:32 AM   #7
geckoejon
Registered Member

have to agree with the prior posts. not worth the risk. the fact that you are second guessing yourself should be a sign...

Current Tank Info: 220g mixed reef & a red sea reefer bad fish tank :0)
geckoejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Art13
Registered Member

I would pick a safer size tank, personally i did have a 90g, 75g, and 35g all on the second floor, but i had no restrictions. Also, a 20g tank will get you by for a few years and maybe by that time you can move into a new place and get the larger tank, in that case a 20g is much easier to move than a 90g. I didn't set up a saltwater tank until i got my house just for the reason of if i had to move it, it was not going to be a fun time.

Art13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 08:19 PM   #9
katekate087
Registered Member

Im so attached to my blue tang. I know to everyone he is just a fish but I'm nervous to find him another home that I trust. All my local friends kill fish like it's their job, so I can't rehome him to anyone I know. And I know it's stupid to have such an attachment to a fish tank but I've worked so hard to keep everyone alive and healthy, and I've never lived alone and I'm getting dumped and this is all too much to handle at once. I like this apartment complex because with my budget it's the best I can afford. They don't have anything on the bottom level, they're getting annoyed with how often I'm calling to ask questions... I'm very upset about this. I'm not someone to ever give up my animals but I think I have to :,(

katekate087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Waterobert
Registered Member

I am sure that the floor would hold your tank. No landlord will tell you, that you can't have more then 10 friends over for a party or the floor will collapse. Will your tank weight be more then 10 people weight? It is all about possible water damage, if your tank leaks two apartments will be damaged. I have my tank on second floor since 2001 with no problem, however I own that place and set my own rules. Save some money and buy your place if you want a big tank, sorry....

Current Tank Info: 91 gallon reef tank, 26 gallon custom sump, ATB 840, 2 250 MH,mostly LPS with few SPS
Waterobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Curtispants
Registered Member

Just my opinion, but I'd be more worried about leaks and overflowing water running downstairs than I would be about the weight. I doubt the 20 gallon rule in the lease is because of weight, it's probably because they don't want the damage sn8kbyt was referring to. Wouldn't your floor have to be pretty much made of cardboard to not hold a 90 gallon tank? I'll let you decide for yourself about the whole sneaking it in part, but as far as the weight I'd just stick it on a load bearing wall as others have suggested if you go ahead with it.

Curtispants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 09:04 PM   #12
Curtispants
Registered Member

P.S. I keep seeing people telling you it depends on how old the building is etc. Wouldn't older be better? Houses aren't made like they used to be, that's for sure. These days you can find real cheapy type houses everywhere. Cheap materials, cheap labor... I had a 300 gallon tank on a floor of a rental many years ago and the floor didn't even squeak if you ran past the tank. Granted I supported the tank in the basement with jacks 'just to be safe'. lol

Unread 03/28/2014, 09:59 PM   #13
OrQidz
Registered Member

snakebite makes very good points! There's so many ways there could be problems from even a small leak (think downstairs tenant sees water stain on their ceiling, calls landlord..). Even if there isn't major damage, you are looking at an eviction with minimal time to get another landlord to rent to you and move a big tank. Not a fun situation.

Plus it's just going to be hard to sneak in a 90 gallon tank!

I get that you're attached to your fish. Is there a reef club or good LFS in your area where you could rehome him?

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 10:08 PM   #14
Kairus
Registered Member

I live in a condo on the third floor and I've got a 125 and a 72 right next to each other. I believe they're against a load bearing wall, but honestly not sure or worried about it.

Of course I own the place, so there's no landlord to check up on me. You live in Florida so I'm assuming the apartment is block with concrete floor joists?

Also since it's actually a 60 cube and not a 90gal, I think you might be okay on sneaking it in, and it might not look as big as a 4' tall *** tank like a 90g.

Kairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 10:20 PM   #15
Curtispants
Registered Member

If you're sneaking it in, make sure you plan on your tank move around 2am. (or later) It's dark and hopefully all of your neighbors will be asleep. I wouldn't be...but I'm not normal.

Unread 03/28/2014, 10:21 PM   #16
Stackemdeep
Registered Member

My 120 and sump are on the 3rd floor of my house. I made sure that my tank was oriented to run perpendicular to the floor joists and one large laminate beam. That thought had crossed my mind and with a 40 sump it is heavy.

Stackemdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 10:44 PM   #17
OrQidz
Registered Member

kairus, does your homeowners insurance cover you for water damage and damage to adjoining units should the tanks leak or break? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just honestly curious.

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 11:12 PM   #18
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

To add to my original post:

I own 5 rental properties the oldest was built in 1885 2 story multi-family rental and the newest 2006 2 story single unit.

I have had a 150 gallon set-up and a 90 gallon set-up on the 2nd floor of both places while I lived in them. It is not a question of weight it is about bad things happening from water damage and leaks. The dumbest of things can and will happen especially if your doing something your not supposed to. (Murphy's law)

Here is an example I had tanks for over 25 years and a cat/cats for just as long. I had the same cat for over 12 years and the 150 gallon cichlid tank with sump for 10 of those years. Cat never got within 5ft of the tank in all those years he was used to fish and they bored him. Tank was set-up upstairs of the 2006 house for over a year with said cat and one day he decides to jump on top of it, knock the cover off the overflow, and drop a few of his furry cat ball toys into it. About 60 gallons of the 75 gallon sump overflowed the DT.

I shot the cat and bought a dog!! Just kidding!

I got lucky as I was renovating the house and had the ceiling tore out of the room below the tank which was the kitchen to install can lights.

KateKate087 I am sorry you are over whelmed at the moment with life.Be careful not to take on any risks that could potentially make things way worse than they are now is the point behind my posts.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 2-20L QT, and a 20 gallon tall octogon tank waiting to be setup for a seahorse tank.
Unread 03/28/2014, 11:21 PM   #19
Kairus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrQidz View Post
kairus, does your homeowners insurance cover you for water damage and damage to adjoining units should the tanks leak or break? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just honestly curious.
That's a very good question, and I'm going to have to look through the policy to see if it falls under any clauses. It's something I didn't think about at all, as I only really got into keeping aquariums about a year ago.

My tank is sumpless and I've set up a good deal of precautions, the HOB skimmer cup feeds down into a container that can hold all the water that could drain before the skimmer starts pulling in air.

Kairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 11:54 PM   #20
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

Depends on the state and insurance company from my experience. Most frown on a water volume that large from anything not being reported when the policy is taken out. In the case of my waterbed instance they would not cover the damage. I had a toilet overflow in a unit and they would only cover structural damage.

I carry rider policies for any residences I live in with my tanks just to be safe.

Tags
60gallon, display tank, moving, refugium, sump