Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2015, 09:52 PM   #2401
boogie01
Registered Member

What is the best way to plumb a 80w pump to 2 return lines a y fitting? Is there a certain one somewhere can recommend? What size out and lines are best? I feel like I'm getting poor performance with a 3/4 going out to a t to two 3/4 inch lines. Sorry if this is in the wrong section

boogie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 11:25 PM   #2402
moondoggy4
Registered Member

The cat is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalExclusivUS View Post
Since the announcement has officially been made on the Royal Exclusiv Website and the Royal Exclusiv Facebook page, the cat is out of the bag and I figured I would share this here as well.

Many of you know me by my other user name Slief. As you are already aware, I have been helping Royal Exclusiv Bubble King users in an unofficial capacity for a long time. Well, I am now officially heading up Royal Exclusiv USA support and service. There will be some serious changes in store from a support standpoint here in the US.. I've seen and coveted the way companies like Kessil, Tunze and Ecotech handle their support and service here in the US. In my mind, there is absolutely no reason why one of the best Skimmer, Pump and Sump manufacturers in the industry shouldn't have the best support and service in the industry to match.

I will be heading to Florida late next week to meet with the US RE team and put together a plan to insure that comes to fruition. I've been a reef aquarium and salt water hobbyist for over 27 years and I am also a Royal Exclusiv user and have been for a long time. I wouldn't take on a position like this if I didn't believe wholeheartedly in the quality of the product and my ability to see to it that my ideas for service and support can be implemented. As such, I will do my best to support new users and old and to set a new benchmark for the support provided by Royal Exclusiv here in North America.

We are also looking to setup an Official Royal Exclusiv Forum/Sponsorship here at Reef Central. I have already reached out to Reef Central to get that ball rolling. I will also be in contact with all of the Royal Exclusiv dealers here in North America so they know about the changes and have my contact info as well.

There will be more news in the coming weeks but I figured I would share this with you guys here. Also, please checkout the Royal Exclusiv Facebook page for more info and like us there if you want to keep up with the latest news.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal...811?fref=photo

Here is the announcement.
We are very proud to announce that we have a new member at RE’s US-Team! Scott Leif is an absolute expert in our products and most of all saltwater aquarists will know him from his great activities at “Reef Central”.
As the responsible for our West-Coast Depot at Chatsworth, California. Scott will take care for the coming up “Royal Exclusiv” board at “Reef Central” and also for our customer and technical support in the US.
Thanks for joining us, Scott and WELCOME AT RE

http://royalexclusiv.com/

Congrats Slief Having one as I type. You named 3 companies with excellent C/S, and I am looking forward to you and the team bringing Royal Exclusiv up to that standard.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 07:29 AM   #2403
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie01 View Post
What is the best way to plumb a 80w pump to 2 return lines a y fitting? Is there a certain one somewhere can recommend? What size out and lines are best? I feel like I'm getting poor performance with a 3/4 going out to a t to two 3/4 inch lines. Sorry if this is in the wrong section
I would go out of the pump with the 1" PVC line then use a 1.5" PVC T with a 1" bushing and connect that the 1" PVC line from the pump. On the two open ends of the T fitting I would ge a 1.5" to 1" bushing and then a 1" slip busihing to 3/4" thread fitting. Add a Barbed fitting to each end and connect your 3/4" nylon tubing. The idea is to provide as large a line out of the pump as possible and 1" is what the pump was designed for. By using a 1.5" T fitting you are reducing friction loss from the T slightly and providing a larger path to each of the nylon lines. That 3/4" Y adapter is a big bottle neck.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 07:48 AM   #2404
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post

Congrats Slief Having one as I type. You named 3 companies with excellent C/S, and I am looking forward to you and the team bringing Royal Exclusiv up to that standard.
Thanks moondoggy! I'm actually in Ft Myers now and spent a part of the day yesterday at RE USA's Ft Myers facility. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. They are building up a lot of inventory here and from the sounds of it, I will have all the tools and leeway I need to really change the service side of things. My motto and the new RE USA motto moving forward is "Speed Is Life". It's going to take a few weeks to get everything in place but we will likely keep spares inventory at my office in Chatsworth Ca, (LA area) as well as in Ft Myers so we have the spares closer to the customer. I just need some report data on annual warranty failures to nail down exactly what I need for spares inventory, I need to know how long it will take to get that inventory replenished from Germany and then I will be able to determine the spares stock. I need. There are already a very good number of pumps here on hand so we are off to a great start. There are only a couple gaps which need to be filled but it is very apparent to me that Royal Exclusiv is very committed to the US market for both sales and support. As part of my Speed Is Life campaign, I'm planning on setting up an advance exchange program for defective parts which really are far and few but will keep downtime to the absolute minimum. I just need to create the RMA/Advance exchange form and get an accurate inventory count and access to a credit card authorization system for RE so we can capture an Authorization if needed for advance exchanges.

To top it all off, we/they are in the process of becoming an Reef Central sponsor and getting a dedicated forum here at RC. It will provide a dedicated place here that the RE team can work together and help others as needed and do so with very timely responses.

I took photos of some of the fish tank candy in their warehouse but forgot to take pictures of their showroom which was a reef aquarists wet dream in terms of pumps and skimmers on display. While they didn't have a tank setup there, it was a very nice facility with a showroom that is really coming together.

As a side note, it's looking like I will be at MACNA in DC on behalf of RE so I will have an opportunity to meet some of you there!

Here are some pictures from yesterda..
Matthias and I next to a Delux 650 skimmer. A serious beast.

RD3 Speedy 50, 80 and 230 watt pumps and Double Cone Skimmers... Lots of them.

Supermarin Skimmers with RD3 pumps.

More RD3 Speedy pumps..

RD3 230 watt pumps.

The latest Delux 300 skimmers with RD Pumps. They have over a dozen a bad boys on hand.. There are also Dream Box Refugiums on the rack above the skimmers with Custom top off holding tanks.

More Delux 300's.

More goodies.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 06/27/2015, 02:07 PM   #2405
acesq
Registered Member

Great news Scott! RE picked the right guy! I've had RE products for many years and have never needed customer service, but it's good to know that RE is committed to providing a level of service that matches the quality of their products.

So what is the official word on the performance difference between the SM 300 and the Deluxe 300?

Unread 06/27/2015, 02:37 PM   #2406
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Great news Scott! RE picked the right guy! I've had RE products for many years and have never needed customer service, but it's good to know that RE is committed to providing a level of service that matches the quality of their products.

So what is the official word on the performance difference between the SM 300 and the Deluxe 300?
Thank you very much!

The SM300 is better suited for wet skimming where as the Delux is better at dry skimming. That is what I undertand anyway. I can still skim reasonably dry with my Supermarin although I do tend to skim wet by choice in large part because I like seeing stuff in my collection cup.

Unread 06/27/2015, 07:09 PM   #2407
danrobberg
Registered Member

If those dreambbox refugiums and top off tanks arnt spoken for I may have to claim some . I would love to save the freight from shipping from Germany.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 09:44 PM   #2408
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrobberg View Post
If those dreambbox refugiums and top off tanks arnt spoken for I may have to claim some . I would love to save the freight from shipping from Germany.
I will work on getting you details on them tomorrow. It looked like the larger ATO tanks were around 5 gallons. The refugium may have been about gallons.

Unread 06/29/2015, 02:55 PM   #2409
powder_blue
Registered Member

Congrats Scott! You have helped me tremendously on this forum. Looking forward to seeing you get paid for the work!

Unread 06/29/2015, 06:03 PM   #2410
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrobberg View Post
Dan,
Here is a link to the water/ATO tanks that should be instock in Florida.
http://royalexclusiv.com/Dreamboxen:::58.html

This is a link to the refugiums that are in stock in Florida.
http://royalexclusiv.com/Dreamboxen/...a:::58_94.html

Like with anything that Royal Exclusiv builds, these are obviously very nice quality and not your typical acrylic boxes but instead PVC and acrylic construction that matches the dreambox sumps. These can be ordered directly from RE USA at the link above or you can special order them from Premium Aquatics and they will ship from the Florida facility.

Unread 06/29/2015, 06:17 PM   #2411
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder_blue View Post
Congrats Scott! You have helped me tremendously on this forum. Looking forward to seeing you get paid for the work!
Thank you very much. While this is only a part time gig for me at the moment, this should actually be fun! After spending a great deal of time with the RE US team, I think we are all on the same page and have a plan. I'm actually looking forward to being able to help more than I have already been doing and more importantly, implementing the kind of service and support that a product of this quality truly deserves.

It's my intent to insure that those who buy RE products rightfully can expect the best service and support in the industry. One of the plans is to have parts inventory at my office as well as at the Mt Myers facility to insure that should there be a warranty failure, parts go out immediately as advance exchanges and do so from the closest location to the customer so down time is minimal. I'm also working on making sure that we have enough spares to insure that even out of warranty replacement parts are shipped out immediately as well. The good thing is that there is already a pretty healthy inventory in Ft Myers and the even better thing is that failures are far and few so the biggest thing is making sure we have all the parts for their wide range of skimmers and pumps. As you know, there is a quite a range of products and while many skimmers share the same motorblock, the base plates are different on many of them. I am working on a solution for that though that would help reduce some of the parts needed..

Unread 07/07/2015, 01:52 PM   #2412
Confuse
Registered Member

Scott, are you the same guy that occasionally appears on LA Fish Guy? You look really familiar! Haha

Confuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 02:10 PM   #2413
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
Scott, are you the same guy that occasionally appears on LA Fish Guy? You look really familiar! Haha
That is indeed me!

Unread 07/10/2015, 03:45 PM   #2414
Adamc1303
Registered Member

I just setup a double cone 150 for a smaller tank. I am having 2 issues.

1) The water level in the skimmer is bouncing

2) Allot of micro bubble are coming out of the skimmer

What can be done to solve this issue? Can it be that the skimmer is in too deep of water? It's right at the max 200mm but still...

Thanks,

Adam

Unread 07/10/2015, 05:23 PM   #2415
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
I just setup a double cone 150 for a smaller tank. I am having 2 issues.

1) The water level in the skimmer is bouncing

2) Allot of micro bubble are coming out of the skimmer

What can be done to solve this issue? Can it be that the skimmer is in too deep of water? It's right at the max 200mm but still...

Thanks,

Adam
I would start by lowering the sump level or raising the skimmer at least 1/2". If it were me, I would lower it to 6.5" which is about the optimum sump level for that skimmer. The range of depth is based on a number of factors including salinity, bio load etc. The lower the salinity, the less foam fractioning that will occur which would requre a high sump level. Under normal reef range salinities, the max depth of 20 cm is likely going to be too deep for the skimmer to perform properly.

You also need to let the skimmer break in. That will take a week or so for it to really settle down. During that time, microbubbles can be expected. Bottom line.. Lower the level in the sump and give it a week or so to break in.

Unread 07/11/2015, 08:12 PM   #2416
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I would start by lowering the sump level or raising the skimmer at least 1/2". If it were me, I would lower it to 6.5" which is about the optimum sump level for that skimmer. The range of depth is based on a number of factors including salinity, bio load etc. The lower the salinity, the less foam fractioning that will occur which would requre a high sump level. Under normal reef range salinities, the max depth of 20 cm is likely going to be too deep for the skimmer to perform properly.

You also need to let the skimmer break in. That will take a week or so for it to really settle down. During that time, microbubbles can be expected. Bottom line.. Lower the level in the sump and give it a week or so to break in.
Thanks. How should the volute be adjusted on the pump? How many turns recommended?

Unread 07/12/2015, 09:24 AM   #2417
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
Thanks. How should the volute be adjusted on the pump? How many turns recommended?
That's going to vary based on depth, salinity and amount of waste in the water. I'd probably start at 1.5 turns out and how the foam looks after an hour or so. You will likely need to open it more but 1.5 would be a good starting point I think. Also keep in mind that if this is on a brand new tank or a tank with a very low bio load, you won't see a lot of skimmate until you get the load up and build up dissolved organics. I only bring that up because I don't know your system.

Edit: I just checked out some of your past threads and it seems you are no rookie when it comes to high end skimmers.. I expect you are well aware of the DOC's..

Unread 07/14/2015, 08:25 PM   #2418
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
That's going to vary based on depth, salinity and amount of waste in the water. I'd probably start at 1.5 turns out and how the foam looks after an hour or so. You will likely need to open it more but 1.5 would be a good starting point I think. Also keep in mind that if this is on a brand new tank or a tank with a very low bio load, you won't see a lot of skimmate until you get the load up and build up dissolved organics. I only bring that up because I don't know your system.

Edit: I just checked out some of your past threads and it seems you are no rookie when it comes to high end skimmers.. I expect you are well aware of the DOC's..
Thanks

Unread 07/14/2015, 08:39 PM   #2419
.Renegade
Registered Member

which skimmer for my 300DD the bubble king 250 or the bubble king 300? is a heavy load fish and coral

.Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 09:00 AM   #2420
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renegade View Post
which skimmer for my 300DD the bubble king 250 or the bubble king 300? is a heavy load fish and coral
Of those two, I would suggest the Supermarin 250 with the RD3. The SM300 will be way too large for your system and would prove to be inconsistent. In all honesty, you could even use the Supermarin 200 with the RD3. In fact, your system is right in the sweet spot for SM200 skimmer. I use a Supermarin 250 on my heavily stocked 480 gallon display and it has no issues keeping up with my system and is very consistent. I think the SM200 would be extremely consistent on your system where as the SM250 may prove to be a bit oversized if your stock load isn't heavy. If you plan on having a heavy stock load the SM250 would be fine as well but I might lean towards the 200 as it too is a beast and would be incredibly consistent on a display of your size.

Unread 07/15/2015, 12:31 PM   #2421
.Renegade
Registered Member

thanks slief will look into that 250

.Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 12:01 AM   #2422
Boa1277
Registered Member

Slief I have one suggestion that may have already been addressed. I really wish my RD3 50 watt skimmer pump had a quick disconnect from the controller so I could easily remove it for maintenance.

Boa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 07:17 AM   #2423
bayoupr
Registered Member

Quote:
Slief I have one suggestion that may have already been addressed. I really wish my RD3 50 watt skimmer pump had a quick disconnect from the controller so I could easily remove it for maintenance.
I brought this up many months ago and it seems BK doesn't want to comment on this.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 08:05 AM   #2424
sreefs
Registered Member

This is great news, RE making a great product much better with world class service! Best of luck Scott, should be very rewarding for all!
Pat

Current Tank Info: 225 Coast To Coast SPS reef. T5 lighting
sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 09:29 AM   #2425
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa1277 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
I brought this up many months ago and it seems BK doesn't want to comment on this.
LOL.. I feel your pain! I have the same pump on my Supermarin although it's never been a big issue for me I too had the same suggestion The new RD3 230's can be disconnected from the controller. From what i understand, that is in the works for the smaller RD3's too. I am not sure when that will be included with them but I think it's supposed to happen late summer or this fall.

Since my Supermarin 250 has the same RD3, I just bring a little container of vinegar next to my sump and another with fresh water and clean the pump there. Not a big deal but it would be nice to be able to bring it to the sink without having to unmount the controller. In my case, I can unmount the controller in less than a minute so that isn't a huge deal for me but the convenience or being able to disconnect the pump sure would be a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreefs View Post
This is great news, RE making a great product much better with world class service! Best of luck Scott, should be very rewarding for all!
Pat

Thank you very much for the kind words! It's still a work in progress but I know I can have a positive impact. The support side is the easy part for me. The service side and making sure we have enough of the right spare parts is the bigger challenge but that is happening so that I have the tools I need to insure that should something fail, service is exceptional.