Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2009, 07:54 PM   #1
NuTom
Registered Member

Scribbled Angelfish Anyone?

I heard a LFS was getting one in, so i rushed out after work to see it and boy was it a beauty. It was about 5-6" which is the smallest i ever seen one. It wasn't feeding at the time so i decided to put the fish on hold and once i get the word it's feeding it will be coming home.

So my question to all the Scribbled Angelfish owners out there is. What was it first feeding on and how long have you had yours?

Here's a picture of it at the LFS

NuTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 08:47 PM   #2
lesleybird
Registered Member

Mine fed on frozen mysis. I think at first when it was reluctant to feed I got a small frozen squid at the oriential food market here in Houston. I rubberbanded it to a rock and all of my angels could not resist as it had tenticles (spell?) floating and it got them all really excited pecking at it. I then removed it after about an hour. He later learned to eat flake from watching the other fish eat it. Yours looks like a nice male. I would ask to see it eat before you take it home. At the very least any fish should take live brine. Lesley

lesleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 08:50 PM   #3
fender4string
Registered Member

Wow that fish is amazing! I really have nothing to add but just had to say how cool it was . I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it learns to eat soon so you can take it home!

How can you tell that it's a male Lesley?

fender4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 09:03 PM   #4
NuTom
Registered Member

You can tell by the white patch around it's gills.

I hope so too fender4string. I can't sleep right now thinking about it....

Unread 03/25/2009, 09:08 PM   #5
ariel47
Premium Member

mines loves frozen mussells. You can sex them by the body patterns. I think the females have a scribbled pattern and the males have a linage[or it maybe pronounced linear, help me out Lesley!]pattern. Got mine from bluezoo aquatics.

ariel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 09:16 PM   #6
fender4string
Registered Member

Cool thanks guys!

I look forward to pictures of this guy NuTom

fender4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 09:52 PM   #7
lesleybird
Registered Member

I don't know for sure but the females have a body that is brown with peppered spots, and the males have a more blue body with the scribbled maze type pattern as the mature. Yours is starting to show this pattern on the lower part of the body. Just my guess that yours is turning into a male. Mine I had for over a year and it just dropped dead one day...not sure why. Mine was a girl with the brown body and peppered spots. She was really sweet and tame. Would eat out of my hand. Lesley

Unread 03/26/2009, 05:00 PM   #8
NuTom
Registered Member

I just got off the phone with the store and he advised me that the fish is still not eating but still looks really healthy.

I hope it's just a matter of time before it starts to eat.

Poor QT is waiting for a new host

I have the blueface's tank now on the top of this stand.

Last edited by NuTom; 03/26/2009 at 05:29 PM.
Unread 03/26/2009, 07:10 PM   #9
jnc914
Registered Member

I posted some pics of my Male Scribbled in NuTom's other thread. If the fish you posted is already at the 5-6" range and doesn't have the defined lines like the one I posted below, it may not fully change in captivity. As it looks right now, it is a female that may or may not change. The blue stripe is very dull, which leads me to believe it is female, the white patch is not a definitive way to sex the fish. Also, I have had females in the past and none displayed any brown body coloration. Mine fed on live clams for three weeks then transitioned to PE Mysis.

Here is my 6" Male Scribbled:

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 07:35 PM   #10
LisaD
That's not a salmon

These can be very tricky to get to eat. I had a rough time starting out with my blue spot angelfish (same genus). Kevin Kohen (screen name DFS) at liveaquaria had it for about two months before I bought it on Diver's Den. He posted in one of my threads on the BSA (I think in Reef Fishes) about how they treated it and got it to eat. If you can't find it, I can look for it. I've had the fish since mid-December, so it was probably a December or January post.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 08:03 PM   #11
flameangel88
Registered Member

Here's the thrd Kevin (DFS) posted on feeding:

feeding thrd

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 10:42 PM   #12
lesleybird
Registered Member

Is your quarenteen cycled? Looks too bare to be cycled properly. You can kill him with ammonia in an improperly cycled quarenteen. I hope it is big enough for him. I would never quarenteen a fish that size in less than a 20 gallon. What size main tank will he go into? Lesley

Last edited by lesleybird; 03/26/2009 at 10:47 PM.
Unread 03/26/2009, 10:57 PM   #13
danorth
Moved On

Scribbled angels are one of the prettiest fish there are....IMO of course, but really, look at that coloration.

That's it, I'm selling my angels and buying one nice scribbled!

danorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 05:46 AM   #14
NuTom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lesleybird
Is your quarenteen cycled? Looks too bare to be cycled properly. You can kill him with ammonia in an improperly cycled quarenteen. I hope it is big enough for him. I would never quarenteen a fish that size in less than a 20 gallon. What size main tank will he go into? Lesley
Clean does not mean it's not cycled. It's the HOB filter that needs to be cycled and also i have used water from DT. I think i know how to cycle a QT properly by now.

That tank is a 25G BTW.

Unread 03/27/2009, 11:18 AM   #15
lesleybird
Registered Member

Did you put an ammonia source in the tank to cycle it? Like a raw shrimp? It just looks so bare. Just water from another tank and a little media from another tank in a HOB filter is not enough IMO. I am setting up a quarenteen tank that is 48 gallons. I plan to put all my new fish in there for a month or so before putting them in my 200 gallon as I cannot deal with ich again. I got one of those HOB filters that has two biowheels. I put a couple of raw shrimp in and some cycle bacteria from a bottle in there. Also got some fairly large fake corals for the fish to hide on and bacteria to grow on (has to look good as it is in my kitchen!). Also got some substrate made out of sintered glass that has pores for bacteria to grow on but will not react with medication if it is needed.

I have had the shrimp in there for about 6 days or so and the ammonia is slowly starting to rise to feed the good bacteria.
You should be cycling the tank with something in it....at least some large PVC tunnels for the fish to hide in a feel secure, and surface for bacteria to grow on. Good luck, Lesley

Found a really great artical on quarenteen tank set up. Here is the link. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php If you scroll down into the artical it talks about cycling and set up of a quarenteen (can't spell).

Last edited by lesleybird; 03/27/2009 at 11:38 AM.
Unread 03/27/2009, 03:10 PM   #16
NuTom
Registered Member

There is no need for me to add a source of ammonia. This HOB has been taken off another tank that has been running for a very long time. As for the tank being bare now that's because no fish is in there. A PVC will be added for hiding as you can see in my blueface QT there is one in there.

Anyways i know what i'm doing and proven with my blueface in a QT for 9 weeks already. Peace

Unread 03/27/2009, 11:51 PM   #17
lesleybird
Registered Member

Good luck, Hope he eats at the store so you can bring him home.

Unread 03/28/2009, 07:48 PM   #18
NuTom
Registered Member

Thanks lesleybird.

Well the store has yet to contact me. I'm assuming it's still not eating.

Unread 04/19/2009, 01:37 AM   #19
Hogfish77
Moved On

Any updates? Mind if I ask how much was he?

Hogfish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 10:19 AM   #20
NuTom
Registered Member

Never did get it. The store told me that he never really saw it eating strong just a few nips here and there. So i passed on it but i believe they sold it a little after.

It was going for $300CAD

Unread 04/19/2009, 12:27 PM   #21
flameangel88
Registered Member

I got this one 3 weeks ago for $250

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2018, 04:57 PM   #22
TopDogFish
Registered Member

Here is mine

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43880140_2411001358940158_967563257415991296_o.jpg (47.7 KB, 29 views)
TopDogFish is offline   Reply With Quote