Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2010, 06:15 PM   #2701
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthehobo9 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm Erik. I've been a member of RC since '07. I've never posted... guess that makes me a bit of a lurker lol. I got out of the hobby a little over a year ago and have recently gotten the itch again. I'll be setting up another BC14 in the coming weeks... I'll be providing a lot of pics of the setup!
I'm 20 years old and a junior at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. I'm majoring in Aeronautical Science with a minor in Air Traffic Control. I'm a commercial pilot and hope I can one day find a job in the aviation industry.

To Reef Central

Embry Riddle is one of the major schools our Air Force officer go to for their masters. There seems to be a demand in that field. Good luck and make sure you start a new thread and post pics of your new set up.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 06:18 PM   #2702
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragga View Post
Hello there!

I'm a long time fresh water guy from the Philadelphia area.
I've had generic tropical fish, cichlids, and piranhas along the way.

the start of a family pulled me away for more than 10 years but now my children are old enough to participate, understand and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

I am currently in the planning phases of either a 90 gallon or 125 gallon reef. (more like ready to pull the trigger and leaning more towards the 125)
this will be a budget project with a LOT of DIY money saving labor and thrifty bargain hunting of good equipment.

I have been browsing this forum a lot lately but have been aware of it for years, great great info and ideas here.
along with a wonderful dialogue and what seems like some pretty great members.

Just wanted to say Hi!

Fred

To Reef Central

Good to have you with us, be sure to document your progress, so we can follow along.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/02/2010, 09:12 AM   #2703
Speed
Unregister Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
Good to have you with us, be sure to document your progress, so we can follow along.
Thank You, and Thank You for your service to our country!

I'll be sure to document my build, in fact I will most likely start a thread and post drawing board plans later today.

thanks for the warm welcome.

Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2010, 07:39 PM   #2704
Tom Walker
Registered Member

Hello There!

Well, hello Reefers! I'm new to Reef Central but not necessarily to fish keeping. While I wouldn't call myself a seasoned vet, I have been keeping fish for about 8 years now. Most of my experience is in fresh water but I've kept a 29g FOWLR for the last two years pretty successfully.

I have a renewed interest in the hobby now as my son has given me an upgrade push. He tried to help me out by feeding my fish last week. So, when I got home from a business trip, I found my fish floating in what looked like milk. Fortunately, I kept a low bioload so I only lost a clown, an urchin, and some inverts. I managed to save about 40lbs of live rock.

I decided to upsize to a 75g but stumbled on a used 125g from a buddy for a good price! So, now you'll see me lurking around for answers in old threads and posting new questions when I'm too thick to find 'em!

Tom

Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2010, 08:02 PM   #2705
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Well, hello Reefers! I'm new to Reef Central but not necessarily to fish keeping. While I wouldn't call myself a seasoned vet, I have been keeping fish for about 8 years now. Most of my experience is in fresh water but I've kept a 29g FOWLR for the last two years pretty successfully.

I have a renewed interest in the hobby now as my son has given me an upgrade push. He tried to help me out by feeding my fish last week. So, when I got home from a business trip, I found my fish floating in what looked like milk. Fortunately, I kept a low bioload so I only lost a clown, an urchin, and some inverts. I managed to save about 40lbs of live rock.

I decided to upsize to a 75g but stumbled on a used 125g from a buddy for a good price! So, now you'll see me lurking around for answers in old threads and posting new questions when I'm too thick to find 'em!

Tom

To Reef Central

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good useful information. and when youi can't find an answer be sure to ask in either the new to the hobby forum or the reef discussion forum, as they are the ones with the most traffic. Good luck with your new 125.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/04/2010, 10:48 AM   #2706
Stryker167
Registered Member

Hello Im new

Stryker167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2010, 12:02 PM   #2707
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker167 View Post
Hello Im new
hello, im not

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2010, 12:25 PM   #2708
MatthewJGrabow
Registered Member.

Location: Elgin, Illinois, USA, Earth, A.K.A. (according to Jimi Hendrix) the third stone from the sun. Located in the Milkyway galaxy....
Looking For Local Fellow Reefers Near Elgin IL

Hello all.

I am somewhat new to marine tanks and this forum (which was recommended to me by someone at an apartment where I was purchasing some live rock - it sounds so clandestine! It was a Craigslist connection).

I have a 92 corner tank. 400 watt metal Halide light, a gorgeous 11" Lionfish (that doesn't eat everyone), some Snowflake Morays, a small Sharp Nose Puffer, a large Ornate Hermit Crab, live rock, some anemones.

I am hoping to find people within a 50 mile radius of Elgin Illinois that perhaps have livestock items for sale that are priced very reasonably (I am unemployed due to disability - that is my "sob story", btw - do you feel like giving me a great deal yet?).

I am also looking for the proper type of algae for my refugium. I don't even know what exactly I should use yet. Although I do spend a bit of time researching.

I was told that Reef Central was the place to go for everything - especially advice - when it came to maintaining marine tanks.

I was also told that the people involved with this site and, I am assuming, virtually all keepers of marine tanks in general, are very friendly and are willing to share advice when needed. I say this because I don't believe just anyone truly appreciates God's creations which He has placed in the sea as much as reefers do.

Next to women (the nice ones), I think marine fish are easily some of His finest work. I saw an Angel the other day at a LFS that I could have sworn was plugged in to AC and was literally being illuminated by some sort of amazing light. Mind-blowing!

My e-mail address is matthewjgrabow@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Last edited by MatthewJGrabow; 06/04/2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: left out a word and wanted to add photo.
MatthewJGrabow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 11:02 AM   #2709
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJGrabow View Post
Hello all.

I am somewhat new to marine tanks and this forum (which was recommended to me by someone at an apartment where I was purchasing some live rock - it sounds so clandestine! It was a Craigslist connection).

I have a 92 corner tank. 400 watt metal Halide light, a gorgeous 11" Lionfish (that doesn't eat everyone), some Snowflake Morays, a small Sharp Nose Puffer, a large Ornate Hermit Crab, live rock, some anemones.

I am hoping to find people within a 50 mile radius of Elgin Illinois that perhaps have livestock items for sale that are priced very reasonably (I am unemployed due to disability - that is my "sob story", btw - do you feel like giving me a great deal yet?).

I am also looking for the proper type of algae for my refugium. I don't even know what exactly I should use yet. Although I do spend a bit of time researching.

I was told that Reef Central was the place to go for everything - especially advice - when it came to maintaining marine tanks.

I was also told that the people involved with this site and, I am assuming, virtually all keepers of marine tanks in general, are very friendly and are willing to share advice when needed. I say this because I don't believe just anyone truly appreciates God's creations which He has placed in the sea as much as reefers do.

Next to women (the nice ones), I think marine fish are easily some of His finest work. I saw an Angel the other day at a LFS that I could have sworn was plugged in to AC and was literally being illuminated by some sort of amazing light. Mind-blowing!

My e-mail address is matthewjgrabow@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

To Reef Central

You can check the local forums here on RC and see if there are any local clubs, Check here for the Illinois clubs, there are a few.

The type of macro algae most of us reefers use for nutrient control is going to be Chaetomorpha. It's non sexual and easy to trim for nutrient export.

For some great reads , check out what Waterkeeper has done for us

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/05/2010, 02:41 PM   #2710
JStone007
Registered Member

Talking New kid on the block

My name is JC and I'm brand new to the hobby and I really have no clue what I am doing lol I've done alot of reading in the past 2 months and finally bought a 29gal tank/starter kit and I could really use any ideas or advice anybody would like to give. I found RC by accident and read some of the articals on the newbies page and really liked all the advice that was already out here so I decided to join and learn what I could.

JStone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 07:30 PM   #2711
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStone007 View Post
My name is JC and I'm brand new to the hobby and I really have no clue what I am doing lol I've done alot of reading in the past 2 months and finally bought a 29gal tank/starter kit and I could really use any ideas or advice anybody would like to give. I found RC by accident and read some of the articals on the newbies page and really liked all the advice that was already out here so I decided to join and learn what I could.

To Reef Central

ask away and we will try to help

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2010, 02:17 AM   #2712
jscrimshaw
Registered Member

Hello Everyone
I am extremely new to this hobby.. Heck, I don't even have a tank yet.. I am currently in my research stage.. My goal is to start out with a Biocube 29 and go from there. I'm looking forward to reading throughout the forum and gaining knowledge in this awesome hobby.. BTW, I was referred to this site by kkrawler

jscrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2010, 08:57 AM   #2713
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
Hello Everyone
I am extremely new to this hobby.. Heck, I don't even have a tank yet.. I am currently in my research stage.. My goal is to start out with a Biocube 29 and go from there. I'm looking forward to reading throughout the forum and gaining knowledge in this awesome hobby.. BTW, I was referred to this site by kkrawler
IMO a 29gal cube is a great way to start in this hobby. You can do some amazing things with cubes, learn alot, and if you follow preferred maintenance tips with them, have alot of success.

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 06/06/2010, 01:25 PM   #2714
James404
I <3 Acros

Quote:
Hello Everyone
Welcome to the site, there is so much to learn here!

James404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 06:04 AM   #2715
devin.jm
Registered Member

well im not new to the hobby, only to reef central! i love the site! very imformational and helpful. i love seeing everyone else's tanks and animals. my tanks are a 44 gallon pentagon corner tank with 50 lbs of rock and a 6 inch sand bed. all soft corals in that one. i also have a 55 gallon that i just got cycled. so now its time to git'r'dun! haha. im a soft coral kinda guy so power compacts are always good for me. my tanks flourish!

devin.jm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 02:59 PM   #2716
kkrawler
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello Everyone
Hey J...

There's a near endless amount of info here bro, One of the best SW resources on the web!!

BTW I texted you some info on available biocubes in the area.

kkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 05:29 PM   #2717
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin.jm View Post
well im not new to the hobby, only to reef central! i love the site! very imformational and helpful. i love seeing everyone else's tanks and animals. my tanks are a 44 gallon pentagon corner tank with 50 lbs of rock and a 6 inch sand bed. all soft corals in that one. i also have a 55 gallon that i just got cycled. so now its time to git'r'dun! haha. im a soft coral kinda guy so power compacts are always good for me. my tanks flourish!
Would love to see some pics of your setup

To Reef Central

Unread 06/07/2010, 08:44 PM   #2718
goodman.d
Registered Member

My names David. I just started a reef tank and have a long way to go. I have about 8 years of freshwater tank experience and wanted to branch off into the salt water arena. I have a 55 gallon tank, Rena XP3 filter, 240watt heater, about 50 pounds of Fiji live rock, and currently only 10,000k lights, but will have a new fixture next. Am always open to suggestions and hope to make good use of the site.

goodman.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2010, 03:52 PM   #2719
Aegeon
Registered Member

Hello all...

Hi all,

Just wanted to pop in here and say hello. My name is Matt, and I'm currently living on the near west side Chicago (Ukrainian Village) with my wife and our 3-month-old son. I joined RC back in February and have been more-or-less lurking since then. I have to say everyone here's been immensely helpful in planning my current build. I'm a reefing newbie (apart from one false-start in the hobby way back in 2001), so you guys have been great.

If anyone's interested, I started a build thread in the Nano Reefs forum for the 25g cube I'm working on now:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1860876

Please feel free to stop in and say hi. Any suggestions/comments/questions are truly appreciated. Thanks!

Aegeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2010, 08:32 PM   #2720
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman.d View Post
My names David. I just started a reef tank and have a long way to go. I have about 8 years of freshwater tank experience and wanted to branch off into the salt water arena. I have a 55 gallon tank, Rena XP3 filter, 240watt heater, about 50 pounds of Fiji live rock, and currently only 10,000k lights, but will have a new fixture next. Am always open to suggestions and hope to make good use of the site.
Suggest you invest in a good protein skimmer. You will also need a flow of about 1000 to 2000 gph in your tank. Two Koralia3's would be great at 850 gph a piece

To Reef Central

Unread 06/08/2010, 08:41 PM   #2721
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegeon View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to pop in here and say hello. My name is Matt, and I'm currently living on the near west side Chicago (Ukrainian Village) with my wife and our 3-month-old son. I joined RC back in February and have been more-or-less lurking since then. I have to say everyone here's been immensely helpful in planning my current build. I'm a reefing newbie (apart from one false-start in the hobby way back in 2001), so you guys have been great.

If anyone's interested, I started a build thread in the Nano Reefs forum for the 25g cube I'm working on now:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1860876

Please feel free to stop in and say hi. Any suggestions/comments/questions are truly appreciated. Thanks!
I am very impressed by your dyi LED setup
great build thread

To Reef Central

Unread 06/08/2010, 08:42 PM   #2722
Clifford04
Registered Member

Hey hey glad to be a part of such an informative community

I just started my 75 gallon tank, I'm pretty sure it's cycled all the way, not 100% positive though. I've had 3 damsels die already, but two are still going strong it seems. One thing I don't really know what to search for is the problem I currently have.
It seems like their is a lot of air bubbles coming form my inflow pump. It almost resembles salt, but it just started appearing not long ago( tank has been cycling for about a month). Any idea as to what is causing this or is it even a problem? I just have base rock right now and such, nothing crazy. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning a lot!

Cliff

Clifford04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2010, 09:17 PM   #2723
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford04 View Post
Hey hey glad to be a part of such an informative community

I just started my 75 gallon tank, I'm pretty sure it's cycled all the way, not 100% positive though. I've had 3 damsels die already, but two are still going strong it seems. One thing I don't really know what to search for is the problem I currently have.
It seems like their is a lot of air bubbles coming form my inflow pump. It almost resembles salt, but it just started appearing not long ago( tank has been cycling for about a month). Any idea as to what is causing this or is it even a problem? I just have base rock right now and such, nothing crazy. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning a lot!

Cliff
There are much more human ways of cycling a tank then using fish. The fact that you are using only base rock with 5 fish is ensuring that you probably will have high ammonia spikes and the reason for 3 dead fish.
That base rock could take up to 3 months to cycle bacteria properly so I would also suggest you not add anymore fish until then unless you add some cycled live rock to help

Bubbles from the return usually point to a leak in the plumbing between the return pump and the display tank so I would check all the fitting there.

I am glad you have joined RC--it will give us a chance to sort out the bad or counter productive information that you have already been given. Most of us have been in the place before we joined

To Reef Central

Unread 06/09/2010, 11:17 AM   #2724
Surfjnkie9
Registered Member

Hey everyone

Hey everyone!

My name is Joe, I'm 27 and I live in Collingswood, NJ. I joined RC back in 2004 but have never really posted anything. I've been maintaining a 16 gallon FOWLR tank for the past 6 years. The tank currently houses two Ocellaris clowns (have been with me since the beginning), a turbo snail, a few hermits, and a red firefish (just added this week )

I'm looking forward to expanding my tank and my reef knowledge and I look forward to discussing the wonderful world of saltwater aquariums with you all.

Surfjnkie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 04:54 PM   #2725
aquaticdreamz
Registered Member

Whats going on RC

Hi guys I'm Mike with Aquatic Dreamz in El Monte Ca. Just opened a shop and wanted to let everyone know I'm here. I have a wide selection of fish and can get almost anything for a great price. I plan to relocate to a much bigger place, but looking for the perfect location. That being said, I'm happy to see some of the most beautiful setups around. Congrats to all of you in this hobby and for helping each other out on trying to keep these animals alive. If your in the socal area stop by, I will give specials prices to RC members just send me a pm with your info. Hope to talk to all of you. Thanks!!!!!

aquaticdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral