Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2018, 04:58 PM   #1
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

How to keep a clean a QT?

So this is the second time I have to go through this. Usually I have my fish, everything seems great. But the water color starts to turn Yellow and the biofilm is really gaining pace. So the QT looks dirty.

Which is your secret to keep it as clean as possible taking into account you have to dose medicine.

Also if you are dosing cupramine like me... Which is the best test kit to read ammonia since most of them will give a false reading.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by juanmanuelsanch; 02/06/2018 at 06:15 PM.
juanmanuelsanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Diana A
Registered Member

i dump the water and add tap water with bleach. i let the filter on QT run for 24 hours. Rinse and let air dry. If you need to use right away then add some Prime with rodi water for a few hours and then dump water and add saltwater

Unread 02/07/2018, 10:22 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

How do you have your QT setup? Are aesthetics all that important for a QT tank; or are you having losses? I generally don't medicate prophylactically, only when a problem emerges. Use a seeded HoB power filter, maybe a powerhead and you should be good.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 10:57 AM   #4
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

I have a canister filter already seeded. A power head and a air stone in case air is necessary.

The problem is that if the water is too cloudy or the whole tank is dirty I can't see in detail the fish. So if a problem comes I might not see it.

And yes I usually have cupramine running in it always.

Thanks for the help.

Unread 02/08/2018, 01:56 PM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

Sounds like you may have bacterial or algae bloom. Changing water will make it worst.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 02:28 PM   #6
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

What could eliminate it?

Unread 02/08/2018, 03:03 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
How do you have your QT setup? Are aesthetics all that important for a QT tank; or are you having losses? I generally don't medicate prophylactically, only when a problem emerges. Use a seeded HoB power filter, maybe a powerhead and you should be good.
^^^This^^^

The ONLY thing I give prophylactically is Prazipro - it won't harm the fish in any way even if it isn't needed so it can't possibly hurt. I haven't used copper in at least 20 years. I really cannot think of a good reason to do so.

As for keeping the QT clean while in use - vacuum up the uneaten food daily, and water changes at least every other day from my frag tank so it then gets a water change as well.

After use, as mentioned above - a little bleach in the water and then rinse and let it air dry.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 04:29 PM   #8
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
^^^This^^^

The ONLY thing I give prophylactically is Prazipro - it won't harm the fish in any way even if it isn't needed so it can't possibly hurt. I haven't used copper in at least 20 years. I really cannot think of a good reason to do so.

As for keeping the QT clean while in use - vacuum up the uneaten food daily, and water changes at least every other day from my frag tank so it then gets a water change as well.

After use, as mentioned above - a little bleach in the water and then rinse and let it air dry.
Other than TTM is there anything you do for Ick.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 05:23 PM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Nope. IMHO, TTM is by far the least stressful way of ridding your fish of the Ich parasite. Properly done (see the sticky at the top of this page) it is also 100% effective.

Although copper can kill the parasite, it is only effective at a carefully monitored dosage that has been shown to be, at best, difficult for most fish to endure. If the concentration is too low, it will not solve the problem. If the dosage is too high, it will take care of the problem by killing your fish.

Hyposalinity can also work, but is difficult to do effectively.

There are exactly ZERO reef-safe medications that will cure your fish of Ich.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 07:22 PM   #10
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Can I chime in?
You can try running some carbon (ONLY when you're NOT medicating your fish course) and some Rowa Phos in little separate mesh bags to keep the water clean and clear and the algae under control.
Remember - remove the carbon when you are medicating, put it back in when you're finished. A quarantine tank is for OBSERVATION as much as it is for treatment; you shouldn't treat new fish UNLESS symptoms of illness show.

P.S. - I use Red Sea test kits, including the one for Ammonia. Never had a problem with them.

Last edited by monkeysee1; 02/08/2018 at 07:38 PM.
monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Haunt
Registered Member

Just out of curiosity is all this REALLY needed? Isn't a happy healthy home the remedy? (right off the bat) Don't get me wrong I've lost some fish along the way, but not enough to set up a QT. Just saying... GL.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/ft/index.php

Unread 02/08/2018, 09:33 PM   #12
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
Just out of curiosity is all this REALLY needed? Isn't a happy healthy home the remedy? (right off the bat) Don't get me wrong I've lost some fish along the way, but not enough to set up a QT. Just saying... GL.

I have lost fish due to ich and velvet. I had to learn the hard way that you need a QT to prevent diseases.

Unread 02/08/2018, 10:40 PM   #13
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunt View Post

The current fish I just got arrived in 1.012 SG water and barely alive. No way he would be alive in my DT @ 1.025. Pretty sure he has ich to boot.

I look at QT as cheap insurance. Best $100 I ever spent.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote