Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Swayze27
Registered Member

H. Crispa Growth Rate?

Just got a purple h. Crispa. It seems super healthy. Foot latched onto my hand when I was putting it in tank. It attached well in the area I prepped for it. Just wondering what the growth rate of these anemone is. I know they can get large just wondering how quick. Here's some pics, but not the greatest pics though. Looks much better in person.
IMG_3517.jpg

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 06:11 AM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

It is all depends of feeding. More food results in faster growth. All my anemones can reach full size in about 6-8 months if I wanted them to. With no feeding they stay at about the same size.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 11:15 PM   #3
Swayze27
Registered Member

How typical for new sebae to expell zooxanthellae. Is this typical of the acclimation process. Anemone stays inflated, mouth looks good but have noticed some expelling.

Unread 03/27/2018, 09:17 AM   #4
garygb
Registered Member

Yes, expelling of some zoozanthellae is not unusual at first. The changes in light and water conditions the anemone has gone through since collection results in the expelling, I assume. If you want the anemone to grow quickly, I would suggest feeding three times per week fresh seafood items about the size of a peanut, then a cashew once it gets a little bigger. I have a crispa and it likes shrimp, squid, krill, pieces of fresh fish from the grocery store (don't try canned tuna, I made that mistake long ago). I go through phases where I feed and periods where I don't. The anemone pretty much just stays the same without any feeding, but will start to increase in size within a week of more frequent feeding. So if you have the space where it won't be stinging or getting stung and you want it grow, feed it. Just make sure the water quality is in good shape--around 80, preferably undetectable nitrates, sg 1.026 (on an accurately calibrated refractometer), moderate water flow.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Swayze27
Registered Member

IMG_3625.jpg
I gotta get better at pics, lol. This guy is much prettier in person. And he's not sideways in person either, face palm....