Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/15/2012, 02:46 PM   #2126
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have the screen top kit from BRS that I will be installing before I get any other fish.

How does this look for the order of additions:
Purple firefish- will this be ok even though I have added the clowns already? juvenile clowns should not be a problem
Bluespotted Watchman OR Bicolor Blenny - Is it easier to keep one over the other? Watchman is the carnivore and bicolor being the herbivore, correct? Both are about the same level of difficulty, but having a herbivore may be valuable
Flasher Wrasse - Which would work for my size tank? Filamented maybe? Or should I just plan on a possum wrasse?

I LOVE possum wrasses which would be better given that a flasher wrasse is much more active and your tank is on the smaller side

Gold Assessor OR Royal Gramma
Red Scooter - after fuge has been set up for several months.

Is this a compatible stock list? This wont be too much for my size tank?

Thanks again!
Should be fine.

Unread 04/16/2012, 05:43 PM   #2127
hobbby3
Reef Junkie

Thanks for the reply Steve.

How does this sound, added in this order.

several Crab, shrimp, snail
2 clown fish
2 blenny not sure what kind yet
6-7 Trimma goby I hear they school around well
1 longnose hawkfish
1 Golden dwarf eel
1 yellow tang

My Water Details:
WATER: IO Reef Cry, SG 1.026, Alk 8.5, Calc 435, Mag 1480
Unread 04/16/2012, 06:11 PM   #2128
W Glint
Registered Member

i love this tread, so much usefull info!

im out of town, about 3 hours away from the tank, and i spotted a beautiful female bluethroat trigger (probably around 5'' or so, didnt really size it up all that much) in a shop here, and let me say, its looks amazing.

I have a standard 90g tank, about 90lbs of rock, 20g sump, monster huge MRC MC2 skimmer (its a beast...), and a penguin 350 that i use as a spot for carbon and phosban. i also use filtersocks on my returns and i clean / swap them bi-daily. Current stocking: Juvi yellow tang (quite shy) 3 green cromis, and a juvi 13'' SFE. (also a smalll maroon clown in my nano that will be moving over sometime soon as well.)

Ive been reading about triggers for the past few months, mostly around a bluethroat or a pink tail ( im considering going reef this summer, with the addition of better lighting). CUC consists of white/red/blue hermits, tons of cerith snails, nerites, and some narssius snails, and a serpent star.

Would this fish be a good addition to my tank?
Thanks for the advice

Unread 04/16/2012, 06:12 PM   #2129
SKurj
Registered Member

Me Again!

Hi Steve..

40g Long (4ft) sumpless, HOB skimmer and refugium hope to be at least a softie reef, mebbe softie + LPS, almost have everything up and running now.

Ok definite fish:
1 x gold neon goby
1 x hector's goby
2 x black snowflake clowns

if I can ever find them:
2 x green banded goby

questions..
flameback angel (not sold on either african or brazil so far)
or
Tominic tang
or
cherub angel
or
kole tang
or
coral beauty

damnit i want my cake too...

Current Tank Info: 40g Long sumpless
Unread 04/16/2012, 08:25 PM   #2130
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbby3 View Post
Thanks for the reply Steve.

How does this sound, added in this order.

several Crab, shrimp, snail
2 clown fish
2 blenny not sure what kind yet
6-7 Trimma goby I hear they school around well Red Striped Goby (Trimma cana) if that is what you are referring to will group but not school
1 longnose hawkfish will eat shrimp and small fish
1 Golden dwarf eel
1 yellow tang one of the Ctenochaetus tangs would be better as yellows will be aggressive

Unread 04/16/2012, 08:30 PM   #2131
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Glint View Post
i love this tread, so much usefull info!

I am glad you find it interesting, it certainly keeps me busy

im out of town, about 3 hours away from the tank, and i spotted a beautiful female bluethroat trigger (probably around 5'' or so, didnt really size it up all that much) in a shop here, and let me say, its looks amazing.

I have a standard 90g tank, about 90lbs of rock, 20g sump, monster huge MRC MC2 skimmer (its a beast...), and a penguin 350 that i use as a spot for carbon and phosban. i also use filtersocks on my returns and i clean / swap them bi-daily. Current stocking: Juvi yellow tang (quite shy) 3 green cromis, and a juvi 13'' SFE. (also a smalll maroon clown in my nano that will be moving over sometime soon as well.)

Ive been reading about triggers for the past few months, mostly around a bluethroat or a pink tail ( im considering going reef this summer, with the addition of better lighting). CUC consists of white/red/blue hermits, tons of cerith snails, nerites, and some narssius snails, and a serpent star.

Would this fish be a good addition to my tank?

In my opinion, your tank is a bit small as a 125 gallon or larger aquarium is preferred. The Blue Throat will rearrange the landscaping and rocks. It is said to "talk," which is actually a grunting sound similar to that of an Emperor Angel.

The Blue Throat Triggerfish needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, small fish and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth. it would be rather hard on any clean up crew.

Thanks for the advice

Unread 04/16/2012, 08:33 PM   #2132
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Me Again!

Hi Steve..

40g Long (4ft) sumpless, HOB skimmer and refugium hope to be at least a softie reef, mebbe softie + LPS, almost have everything up and running now.

Ok definite fish:
1 x gold neon goby
1 x hector's goby
2 x black snowflake clowns

if I can ever find them:
2 x green banded goby

questions.. no tangs in a 40 gallon tank, sorry.
flameback angel (not sold on either african or brazil so far)
or
Tominic tang
or
cherub angel
or
kole tang
or
coral beauty dwarf angels are probably not going to be reef safe.

damnit i want my cake too...

Unread 04/16/2012, 09:45 PM   #2133
Feriation
Registered Member

Hi Snorvich,

First off, I want to say thank you. I could never stay on top of something like this, constantly answering our questions like you do!! I love reading through the thread!

Previously I had asked about livestock in my 28g cube. I had been okay'd with a firefish, a royal purple gramma, and a clown. Now I've been looking at inverts.

I'd always loved shrimp. And I've been trying to decide what would be the most interesting additions to a 28g cube. Then, on a trip to my local pet/fish store for my pup Dixon, I spied the most beautiful lavender purple reef lobster ever, rivaling the ones I've seen online even! But I have read that they can be a hazard to peaceful fish, and other inverts if kept in a smaller tank.

I guess my question in a nutshell is, would a reef lobster be compatible with a firefish, royal purple gramma and a clown? And if so, would I have to choose between it, and a few shrimp? And lastly, in your opinion, which would be the most active within my tank? I'd hate to buy the little guy, only to never ever ever see him. D:

Unread 04/16/2012, 09:51 PM   #2134
YaSiWei
Registered Member

Hi there! Thanks for organizing a place for the newbs.

We are still shopping for tanks but I am partial to a 100 gallon 48x31x15, reef tank. Probably 30gallon sump. We are concerned about a 31" deep- will 2 250watt halides do for softies? Or should we steer towards LEDs? They do seem more affordable to maintain.

As to fish- We like the copperband butterfly, a pair of perculas, and flame angel. I love the green mandarin, after 6 months or a year setting up, would the copepod population be large enough to maintain him? My fiance loves tangs but we hate to stunt some of the bigger swimmers in a 4ft-er. He loves the Achilles, Blue Hippo and the Sailfin Tang- would any of these be possible?

How much live rock would you all suggest?

Thanks!

Sarah

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon reef, 30 gallon sump
Unread 04/17/2012, 12:47 AM   #2135
greenskull
Registered Member

55 gallon tank mates for shrimp/goby pair?

55 gallon with 2" to 4" sand bed (mostly fine with an area of scattered rubble bits) and live rock. Bak-Pak skimmer and hang on Emperor power filter w/Bio wheel. Additional Rio 600(?) powerhead for circulation attached to homemade DIY on/off "wavemaker".
OTHER INFO: A couple of large hairy mushroom colonies and some trumpet coral are making their home there and doing great.Tank has been running for 3 years, but previous occupant has since been removed (RIP:10 year old Black Velvet Damsel) and now time to restock with some hopefully peaceful fish/shrimp.

Here's what I'm hoping for:
1) Yellow Watchman Goby
2) Tiger Pistol Shrimp
3) Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
4) Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
5) Banded Coral Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus)

Basically, I've got my heart set on a goby/shrimp pair and a peaceful sand burying wrasse to take advantage of the sand bed. I was even thinking of another Halichoeres wrasse in place of firefish, but was thinking it would be crowding. Really wanting an interesting and peaceful as possible community.
Thank you very much!

Last edited by greenskull; 04/17/2012 at 12:56 AM.
Unread 04/17/2012, 01:30 AM   #2136
ryanb69
Registered Member

Hey, I have a 20 gal reef, with a CPR aquaforce skimmer, 20lbs live rock and running carbon. Currently have mated pair of occelaris clown fish, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

wanted fish (added in this order)
-green banded goby
-bangaii cardinal
-sixline wrasse

Will this work?How do green banded gobies behave? I have trouble finding info on them
Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 20 gal nano with black occellarus and orange occelarus clown fish. Corals are green star polyp, duncan, candy cane, and pulsing xenia!
Unread 04/17/2012, 04:42 AM   #2137
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feriation View Post
Hi Snorvich,

First off, I want to say thank you. I could never stay on top of something like this, constantly answering our questions like you do!! I love reading through the thread!

Previously I had asked about livestock in my 28g cube. I had been okay'd with a firefish, a royal purple gramma, and a clown. Now I've been looking at inverts.

I'd always loved shrimp. And I've been trying to decide what would be the most interesting additions to a 28g cube. Then, on a trip to my local pet/fish store for my pup Dixon, I spied the most beautiful lavender purple reef lobster ever, rivaling the ones I've seen online even! But I have read that they can be a hazard to peaceful fish, and other inverts if kept in a smaller tank.

I guess my question in a nutshell is, would a reef lobster be compatible with a firefish, royal purple gramma and a clown? And if so, would I have to choose between it, and a few shrimp? And lastly, in your opinion, which would be the most active within my tank? I'd hate to buy the little guy, only to never ever ever see him. D:
Reef lobsters are indeed gorgeous but are not reef safe to fish and other inverts. While this thread is really about fish, occasionally I diverge just a bit. Check out alpheus soror pistol shrimp and you will get the gorgeous coloration combined with being fish and invert safe. Various other shrimp will do equally well but I would stay away from coral banded shrimp. Now back to fish . . .

Unread 04/17/2012, 04:50 AM   #2138
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaSiWei View Post
Hi there! Thanks for organizing a place for the newbs.

We are still shopping for tanks but I am partial to a 100 gallon 48x31x15, reef tank. Probably 30gallon sump. We are concerned about a 31" deep- will 2 250watt halides do for softies? Or should we steer towards LEDs? They do seem more affordable to maintain.

I am reluctant to recommend equipment in this thread as it is about fish.

As to fish- We like the copperband butterfly, a pair of perculas, and flame angel. I love the green mandarin, after 6 months or a year setting up, would the copepod population be large enough to maintain him? My fiance loves tangs but we hate to stunt some of the bigger swimmers in a 4ft-er. He loves the Achilles, Blue Hippo and the Sailfin Tang- would any of these be possible?

A year should be sufficient with adequate live rock for a mandarin. In your sized tank, one Ctenochaetus would work, but the ones you mention require larger tanks

How much live rock would you all suggest?

Again, this thread is about fish. So sorry.

Thanks!

Sarah

Unread 04/17/2012, 04:53 AM   #2139
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
55 gallon with 2" to 4" sand bed (mostly fine with an area of scattered rubble bits) and live rock. Bak-Pak skimmer and hang on Emperor power filter w/Bio wheel. Additional Rio 600(?) powerhead for circulation attached to homemade DIY on/off "wavemaker".
OTHER INFO: A couple of large hairy mushroom colonies and some trumpet coral are making their home there and doing great.Tank has been running for 3 years, but previous occupant has since been removed (RIP:10 year old Black Velvet Damsel) and now time to restock with some hopefully peaceful fish/shrimp.

Here's what I'm hoping for:
1) Yellow Watchman Goby
2) Tiger Pistol Shrimp
3) Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
4) Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
5) Banded Coral Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus) Unfortunately these can take fish

Basically, I've got my heart set on a goby/shrimp pair and a peaceful sand burying wrasse to take advantage of the sand bed. I was even thinking of another Halichoeres wrasse in place of firefish, but was thinking it would be crowding. Really wanting an interesting and peaceful as possible community.
Thank you very much!
Your stocking list looks fine but I doubt you can mix in another Halichoeres wrasse

Unread 04/17/2012, 04:57 AM   #2140
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb69 View Post
Hey, I have a 20 gal reef, with a CPR aquaforce skimmer, 20lbs live rock and running carbon. Currently have mated pair of occelaris clown fish, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

wanted fish (added in this order)
-green banded goby
-bangaii cardinal
-sixline wrasse

A pair of clownfish is really the max for a 20 gallon tank. If you wanted to add a green banded goby, or even two, that might work. The Greenbanded Goby formerly known as Gobiosoma multifasciatum, has since been reclassified as Elacatinus multifasciatus. This beautiful fish makes a wonderful addition to the smaller reef or fish only aquarium. This small peaceful species is a vivid green with thin iridescent green bands running vertically down the body. A white head with a brownish red band runs across each red eye.

The Greenbanded Goby should be housed in a 10 gallon or larger aquarium. Hovering around rockwork and décor, this species can be housed in small groups of 3 or more individuals.

It is common for the Greenbanded Goby to spawn in an aquarium, laying its eggs in a crevice or empty shell.

These gobies feed on a variety of live and frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, table shrimp, and frozen food preparations for carnivores.

Will this work?How do green banded gobies behave? I have trouble finding info on them
Thanks!

Unread 04/17/2012, 06:24 PM   #2141
Rfr4evr
Registered Member

New to Saltwater but found a really great deal...

Hi everyone I appreciate finding this site and thread and was curious what kind of information and opinions I can recieve.

I have found an add for a 230 imperial gallon ( 5'4" x 2' x 32") established saltwater tank.
It comes with a 90 gallon sump and also a 77 gallon sump, the 77 gallon is not being used at this point, but the 90 gallon is very tight for the cabinet and was going to be downsized to the 77 gallon.

The unit also comes with 100 pounds of LR and the only fish to accompany it is an eel.

This is the first I have had to do with saltwater systems but am very interested in getting into it and also realize this is going to be more or less jumping in with both feet lol.

I will also be retaining and reusing at least 50% of the existing established water.

Please any input would be appreciated.

Thank you all very much...

Collin

Unread 04/17/2012, 06:56 PM   #2142
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfr4evr View Post
Hi everyone I appreciate finding this site and thread and was curious what kind of information and opinions I can recieve.

I have found an add for a 230 imperial gallon ( 5'4" x 2' x 32") established saltwater tank.
It comes with a 90 gallon sump and also a 77 gallon sump, the 77 gallon is not being used at this point, but the 90 gallon is very tight for the cabinet and was going to be downsized to the 77 gallon.

The unit also comes with 100 pounds of LR and the only fish to accompany it is an eel.

This is the first I have had to do with saltwater systems but am very interested in getting into it and also realize this is going to be more or less jumping in with both feet lol.

I will also be retaining and reusing at least 50% of the existing established water.

Please any input would be appreciated.

Thank you all very much...

Collin
This particular thread is only about fish, fish compatibility with each other, and with the environment you are providing for the fish. Reef Central as a site has numerous forums and threads on almost any imaginable topic. Your particular question would get the most exposure as a separate question in the New to the Hobby forum albeit not in this thread.

Unread 04/18/2012, 09:18 AM   #2143
Special_K77
Registered Member

Hello,

Great thread and many thanks for your help in advance. Apologies for any stupid questions as I'm new the hobby.

I have a tank currently going through the cycling process and was hoping you could assist as I wait.

Specs:
5 Gallon (10x10x12) EcoPico tank with 1.5" live sand, ~10lbs base rock, 3 x 12K White/453nm Blue LED Strips, 2 x 453nm Blue LED Strips, stock filter / pump where I will change the sponge with carbon and filter pads.

I am planning on a mixed reef tank, my live stock ideas are:

FISH: A small yellow clown goby and possibly a single tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish. Is the tank too small for a clownfish, let alone 2 fish? I know this is a fish only thread but would a single sexy shrimp be out of the question?

CORALS: Starting off with just Zoas and Ricordea Mushrooms for now

Small CUC

I may add an additional Azoo filter or Hydor pump for additional filtration and or flow.

Thanks for your time!

Unread 04/18/2012, 10:31 AM   #2144
Rakkah
Registered Member

Hello All,

Just completed my main setup, and am beginning the cycling period and thought I throw this out for review and opinions.

The Goal is a Dual Display Mixed Reef Tank. I'll spare the Coral and Algea assignments from this post.

Main Tank:
60G 24inch Cube
Live Rocik will be Epoxied to provide a pass-through, as well as hiding spots and a small LR shelf with 1 to 1.5 inches of Sand..
Desired Live Stock, in order of addition
2 Clownfish, thinking more black than red
1 Lyretail Anthias
3 Blue Reef Chromis
A blenny of some sort
CUC consistent of Trucus, nassarius, peppermind or some varient of shimp

2nd Tank - Display Fuge
25G 18inch Cube, LR Rubble and small cave like area. Lots of Algea
End stock will consist of varied Seahorses, where the tank meets their requirements
Possibly a Mandirin, after tank had lots of maturity time.

Mainly concerned about the main tank compatibility and if there is room for more or not. Again, not stocking it all at once.

Thanks for the input.

Current Tank Info: In Progress :)
Unread 04/18/2012, 02:19 PM   #2145
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K77 View Post
Hello,

Great thread and many thanks for your help in advance. Apologies for any stupid questions as I'm new the hobby.

I have a tank currently going through the cycling process and was hoping you could assist as I wait.

Specs:
5 Gallon (10x10x12) EcoPico tank with 1.5" live sand, ~10lbs base rock, 3 x 12K White/453nm Blue LED Strips, 2 x 453nm Blue LED Strips, stock filter / pump where I will change the sponge with carbon and filter pads.

I am planning on a mixed reef tank, my live stock ideas are:

FISH: A small yellow clown goby and possibly a single tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish. Is the tank too small for a clownfish, let alone 2 fish? I know this is a fish only thread but would a single sexy shrimp be out of the question?

CORALS: Starting off with just Zoas and Ricordea Mushrooms for now

Small CUC

I may add an additional Azoo filter or Hydor pump for additional filtration and or flow.

Thanks for your time!
A five gallon tank can house a shrimp and goby combination or a small fish such as a clown goby or possible a fire fish. No clownfish please.

Unread 04/18/2012, 02:22 PM   #2146
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkah View Post
Hello All,

Just completed my main setup, and am beginning the cycling period and thought I throw this out for review and opinions.

The Goal is a Dual Display Mixed Reef Tank. I'll spare the Coral and Algea assignments from this post.

Main Tank:
60G 24inch Cube
Live Rocik will be Epoxied to provide a pass-through, as well as hiding spots and a small LR shelf with 1 to 1.5 inches of Sand..
Desired Live Stock, in order of addition
2 Clownfish, thinking more black than red
1 Lyretail Anthias
3 Blue Reef Chromis probably will become one or two only
A blenny of some sort
CUC consistent of Trucus, nassarius, peppermind or some varient of shimp

2nd Tank - Display Fuge
25G 18inch Cube, LR Rubble and small cave like area. Lots of Algea
End stock will consist of varied Seahorses, where the tank meets their requirements
Possibly a Mandirin, after tank had lots of maturity time.

If you have animals that eat copepods, a refugium is not a refugium.

Mainly concerned about the main tank compatibility and if there is room for more or not. Again, not stocking it all at once.

Thanks for the input.

Unread 04/18/2012, 02:53 PM   #2147
Rakkah
Registered Member

Thanks Steve.

My understanding of the Fuge was to grow the good Algae to reduce the bad algae throughout the rest of the system and the pods were just a positive byproduct.

and by the 3 Chromis becoming only one or two, are you inferring taht I should only get one or two or rather that 1 or 2 of the three will not be happy given teh tank size and perish.

Thanks again for the input, just trying to be sure I understand it all correctly.

Current Tank Info: In Progress :)
Unread 04/18/2012, 03:12 PM   #2148
Special_K77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
A five gallon tank can house a shrimp and goby combination or a small fish such as a clown goby or possible a fire fish. No clownfish please.
Thanks Steve, shrimp and goby combination it is. Much appreciated!

Unread 04/18/2012, 03:53 PM   #2149
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkah View Post
Thanks Steve.

My understanding of the Fuge was to grow the good Algae to reduce the bad algae throughout the rest of the system and the pods were just a positive byproduct.

Which is all well and good but it will not be enough to sustain a mandarin

and by the 3 Chromis becoming only one or two, are you inferring taht I should only get one or two or rather that 1 or 2 of the three will not be happy given teh tank size and perish.

They do not like each other. Strongest wins.

Thanks again for the input, just trying to be sure I understand it all correctly.

Unread 04/18/2012, 05:41 PM   #2150
ken55
A wing and a prayer

Hello,

I currently have a Coral Beauty in a 55g. I was thinking about a Flame Angel. I have seen tanks with this combo from folks in the local club but their tanks were way bigger than mine. LA states dwarf angels together "With Caution".

Do you think this is a workable combo or should I avoid adding the second dwarf angel?

Thanks,
Ken

Tags
marine fish compatibility