Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2006, 11:48 AM   #1
GoLowDrew
No Title

Buying water from LFS

I'm thinking of buying salt water from LFS. They sell it at $1 per gal.

Questions:

1. Can I assume that it's all ok standards. Right levels and none of the bad stuff. So I don't have to test it.

2. I was thinking of using a brand new 3 gal plastic gas container, like the red ones people use in road emergency. It will be easy for me to carry to and from LFS. Are they ok? How would I need to clean them (besides soap and water) to get them ready for tank use?

Current Tank Info: 29G with 30lbs Live Rock, powerhead, one Clown fish.
GoLowDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Paintbug
Registered Member

1. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!! its a good idea to check your water. atleast once in a while. i have herd horror stories from people buying premade SW from the LFS. best advice here is make your own!

2. head down to the local wal-mart. look in their camping section. they have 5-7gal water jugs(even smaller) that are $7-$8 each. these are known not to leech chemicals into the water. most gas containers will. they dont have to use a food grade plastic for them.

<-Tony->

Current Tank Info: NONE currently
Paintbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2006, 12:07 PM   #3
T-6 Driver
Registered Member

If your LFS sells only fish you can probably trust the water, but if the salt water fish are crammed in between the hamsters and the goldfish you may want to independently verify the water quality. In either case you wouldn't be wrong to test the water the first few times you buy it.

You should be fine just rinsing out the water container with RO water a few times.

You don't mention what you'll be using for top off water--using tap water may cause problems down the road. If your LFS sells both RO water and salt water (assuming the quality is good) you should get 2-3 containers, fill one with salt water and the others with RO top off water. The RO water will likely cost 10-25 cents a gallon.

T-6 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2006, 12:12 PM   #4
keepsmesane
Registered Member

Re: Buying water from LFS

Quote:
Originally posted by GoLowDrew
I'm thinking of buying salt water from LFS. They sell it at $1 per gal.

Questions:

1. Can I assume that it's all ok standards. Right levels and none of the bad stuff. So I don't have to test it.

2. I was thinking of using a brand new 3 gal plastic gas container, like the red ones people use in road emergency. It will be easy for me to carry to and from LFS. Are they ok? How would I need to clean them (besides soap and water) to get them ready for tank use?
Never use soap!

keepsmesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Amphiprion
Premium Member

I agree, never assume anything. At the LFS I work at, I make sure to check the total dissolved solids (of the freshwater ro) and the salinity on the other. If TDS is above ~5, then we know we have a problem and stop the water and fix it. Not only that, we write the results down on a nice little sign so customers can keep track of the water as well.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Paintbug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amphiprion
I agree, never assume anything. At the LFS I work at, I make sure to check the total dissolved solids (of the freshwater ro) and the salinity on the other. If TDS is above ~5, then we know we have a problem and stop the water and fix it. Not only that, we write the results down on a nice little sign so customers can keep track of the water as well.
sounds like you guys have a pretty good store! most employees at the larger LFS here dont even know what TDS is LOL.

<-Tony->

Current Tank Info: NONE currently
Paintbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Well, I have talked my boss into a lot of new things/improvements, LOL.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote